Weed Burner - What Size???

tkopfer

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So I'm going to get a weed burner to help start my coals, pre-heat the smoker, etc (I have a Humphrey's Qubed Pint). I went to amazon, and now i'm not sure what size to get. What size do most of you use? I'm seeing everything from 25,000 btu up to 500,000 btu. Obviously that's quite a difference. What do you all who are more experienced than me suggest?

-torrance

Harbor Freight has them for about $20 and a 20% off coupon is available. I've used them for years....sure they don't last forever but I'm going on 4 years with my current one with knock on wood no problems. They get PLENTY hot enough....

Been using Harbor Freight burners for years, I highly recommend them. I suggest saving some dough, and forgo the igniter option...THIS is the other option.

Love my Harbor Freight weed burner. works great and also cheap with the 20% coupon

Red Dragon all the way. I have the:
Red Dragon VT 3-30 C 500,000 BTU Heavy Duty Propane Vapor Torch Kit

HF here, too. It's almost like having a flame thrower. Great fun using it at night.
20% coupon makes them very economical. I have the one with the igniter - the trick is to just barely open the valve when firing it up.

I had a one of those Harbor Freight ones and it damn near killed me last Friday. After maybe a dozen uses the hose came off the handle while gas was flowing. The result was unregulated propane spraying from the hose. It's a minor miracle that the gas didn't catch fire until I was able to close the valve on the tank.

300,000-500,000 BTU is good. I would get one with a controllable valve with a squeeze handle.

I had a one of those Harbor Freight ones and it damn near killed me last Friday. After maybe a dozen uses the hose came off the handle while gas was flowing. The result was unregulated propane spraying from the hose. It's a minor miracle that the gas didn't catch fire until I was able to close the valve on the tank.

:drama:

Harbor Freight has them for about $20 and a 20% off coupon is available. I've used them for years....sure they don't last forever but I'm going on 4 years with my current one with knock on wood no problems. They get PLENTY hot enough....

I've had this one for 2 years now. I used to use MAPP gas but this is my go to starter. It's great.

I use the weed burner for starting my fire pit, but use this Snow Peak for starting my smokers/grills. It's really badass, and runs on normal butane cans.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-GigaPower-Torch/dp/B004PH3RCC"]Amazon.com: Snow Peak Gigapower Torch: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I like the Weed Dragon and have been using it for 4 years now , I zip tide a milk crate to a cheap dolly to hold the tank for easy movement .

DSCF8318.jpg

Ive had a couple of these and both quit working within 2 months. I'd hook it up, squeeze the trigger and hear the gas at first but then it would peter out within ~5-7 seconds. :confused::confused::confused:

That could be a safety valve. The red dragons have a thing where you need to turn on the tank presure slowly or it will do just as you described. I have no idea why that makes you safer.

Go USA. I own a Horror Freight and do not recommend it.
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_3039927011?ie=UTF8&node=3039927011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Red+Dragon"]Amazon.com: Red Dragon[/ame]

Back