Large quantities; Red Beans

W Squared

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I've seen so many posts on "baked beans", but not many on red beans. West Texas tastes gravitate toward the red bean side. We've got a great recipe, but it is smaller volume in about an 8 qt crock pot. Takes a long time and will not feed many.

Anyone on here do large volume beans and can recommend how to cook for larger groups 100 or so.? I've looked into the pressure cooker method and that would cut down on time, but unless you go to a "canning" model those are still only around the 10qt size...which would still limit the volume you could cook for.

I appreciate any feedback.

If you are cooking dried beans in a pressure cooker, they cook fast but make a horrible mess inside the cooker with intensive clean-up.

However some manufactures make a ceramic insert for cooking beans which works well.

I ruined an 8 quart aluminum pressure cooker when I cooked a batch of Northern Beans. Won't do that again, so this time I bought one with an insert for beans.

If I needed to cook a large quantity of beans, I'd sweat my trinity in a cast iron pot then add them to soaked beans and cook them in pans in the oven.

Red beans come out great in a slow cooker, a slow oven can approximate that environment in larger quantities.

Ever consider using an 18 Qt electric roaster? Not bad to cook in plus serve out of.

Back