Freeze/thaw/freeze?

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had a bunch of comp meat that was frozen, then thawed this week. I can't make the comp I planned on using it for, so it is ok to refreeze and use in a month without any quality issues. I'm not concerned about most of it except for the wagyu brisket.

thanks!

Chad

oh I have done it many times

as long as its in the original cyro it will be ok. I dont know about using it for a comp but it will still be edible

It'll definitely get eaten. I just don't know if I should use it for a comp later on.

I may learn here. I've always been told once it thaws...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY"]Game Over Man, GAME OVER! - YouTube[/ame]

I've always heard don't re-freeze once thawed, but have never done it so have no experience to draw on. I just tend to err on the safe side with food handling.

I'd cook it, slice it, divide it into one pound packages and freeze those. They can be thawed for sandwiches and such later on, one pound at a time.

No idea for comp, but I just got two rib roasts from SRF. They are thawing in the fridge now, and I plan to turn them into nice steaks, vacuum seal, and then refreeze.

Any Pro Butchers or meat folks in the know for sure? This is very interesting.

I've thawed and refroze meat many times without any issues. It partly depends on how it is wrapped, if it is cryovac packing, then no issue at all. That said, I wouldn't do it more than once, but one time, no biggie. As far as for comp use, I don't do comps, so I don't know about that. My experience with the process is that I see very little, if any impact on the meat quality, so I think you would be fine, but other competition cooks can chime in here.

KC

I've bought a lot of meat that was previously frozen, especially chicken and ribs. I repackage it in vacuum seal bags and it comes out fine. Not as good as fresh, and I wouldn't do it with a really nice cut of meat, but I've had to do it occasionally with beef too and it came out very good...
Of course, I'd prefer not to do it, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

So it seems the consensus is safe to eat, but maybe not to use for a competition. Looks like that SRF brisket is getting cooked for a practice cook.

thanks for all the help!

The National Restaurant Association's SERVSAFE standards state that if you had properly thawed the meats under refirgeration, you can safely refreeze

>> but maybe not to use for a competition.

Maybe not. But maybe. No one knows! We cannot make a conclusion at this time.

At least we can (hopefully) lay to rest the myth that you can't refreeze meat.

If it has been in a cyrovac and has remained in it, thawed in the fridge it is safe to refreeze I just went through this. Info is according to my butcher This is for uncooked meat

>> If it has been in a cyrovac and has remained in it, thawed in the fridge it is safe to refreeze

It's safe to refreeze, Cryovac or not!

We break down deer all year long and freeze... Re-thaw make our burger and sausage..... And never had a problem... Been doing it for many many years... And am fixing to grid prolly 100#ss in a week or so..

Back