Kinders' BBQ Sauces?

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I usually make my own sauces, but have been looking for some good store bought options for when I dont have the time or ingredients. Being in Northern California, I've seen a lot of ads for Kinders, who seem to have a range of sauces available. Has anyone tried these? Are they good? I'm not a fan of overly sweet sauces, so that would definitely be a factor. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a fan of most sauces, but I can tell you that Kinders is hands down the best bbq in the bay area IMHO. I'd try anything that they make as it is all good.

I'm not a fan of most sauces, but I can tell you that Kinders is hands down the best bbq in the bay area IMHO. I'd try anything that they make as it is all good.

Are you talking about the restaurant food? I know they've also started foodtrucks recently, but I've never had food from either.

Are you talking about the restaurant food? I know they've also started foodtrucks recently, but I've never had food from either.

Yep. My son graduated from Chico. They have a brick and mortar restaurant there. Awesome stuff. And I tend to be on the critical side when judging food (I know, some will not believe that). :cool:

I was very surprised with the flavor for a store bought sauce. In a pinch, Kinders works just fine.

And here I go, disagreeing with Tortaboy.

First off, I find the sauces to be on the sweet side, some have a little bit. If you look at the label, you can see that in 2 tablespoons of sauce, there are 13 G of sugar. That's a fair amount. That being said, I give them credit in that they changed the formula about a year ago, from one that was heavily HFCS to one that is no MSG and no HFCS. That is a plus. Still, give it a try, everyone's palate is different. Despite literally about 90% of my friends raving about it, I tend to pass on both Kinders and Everett & Jones.

Now, to the restaurants, I grew up with Kinders and can remember when they were a meat market only, that started to sell sandwiches on the side. They mostly sell ball tip beef sandwiches, and I find them to be over-cooked. However, again, 90% of my friends love Kinders. So there is that.

I do like Kinders more than Everett & Jones, which I feel they use way to much liquid smoke. My go to, locally produced sauce is Bart's Blazin' Q sauce. A very unique flavor, and the hot is really nice.

And here I go, disagreeing with Tortaboy.

First off, I find the sauces to be on the sweet side, some have a little bit. If you look at the label, you can see that in 2 tablespoons of sauce, there are 13 G of sugar. That's a fair amount. That being said, I give them credit in that they changed the formula about a year ago, from one that was heavily HFCS to one that is no MSG and no HFCS. That is a plus. Still, give it a try, everyone's palate is different. Despite literally about 90% of my friends raving about it, I tend to pass on both Kinders and Everett & Jones.

Now, to the restaurants, I grew up with Kinders and can remember when they were a meat market only, that started to sell sandwiches on the side. They mostly sell ball tip beef sandwiches, and I find them to be over-cooked. However, again, 90% of my friends love Kinders. So there is that.

I do like Kinders more than Everett & Jones, which I feel they use way to much liquid smoke. My go to, locally produced sauce is Bart's Blazin' Q sauce. A very unique flavor, and the hot is really nice.

But 90% of your friends and me couldn't be wrong. :becky:

True. And you were the leading proponent of Cooking a tri-tip like a brisket, which is now all the rage.

BTW, back on topic, Burnt Sacrifice sauces and rubs are quite good. And they are made in San Franciso LINK I really like their products and enjoy the fact that they are from The City.

Well, look at that, I not only got feedback on the Kinders sauce, I also started an argument between landarc and tortaboy AND got some additional local recommendations. Win/win!

Thanks, everyone, for the input. It looks like I have a lot of sauces to sample in my future.

True. And you were the inventor of Cooking a tri-tip like a brisket, which is now all the rage.

BTW, back on topic, Burnt Sacrifice sauces and rubs are quite good. And they are made in San Franciso LINK I really like their products and enjoy the fact that they are from The City.

Let me fix that for you.

Kinder's is pretty good jar sauce, though I never use it on their tri-tip when I eat there.
The wife makes a very nice pulled pork in the crockpot with their marinade.

Last edited:
So, what's good at the restaurant? And what's ball tip?

Ball Tip is the upper part of the Bottom Sirloin sub-primal. The opposite end of the same cut is the tri-tip. They are separated by a membrane, which is what defines ball tip and tri-tip. The Ball Tip is larger and occurs higher up on the animal, I find it is less tender and had more connective tissue. However, many people feel it is a great grilling cut, and sliced across the grain, it is a whole lot like tri-tip. It is cheaper and as such, often looked down upon.

Most folks go to Kinders for the Ball-tip BBQ sandwich, there is also the Prime Rib sandwich, which I cannot comment on, and the Hot Link sandwich, which I used to get when I worked nearby.

Ball Tip is the upper part of the Bottom Sirloin sub-primal. The opposite end of the same cut is the tri-tip. They are separated by a membrane, which is what defines ball tip and tri-tip. The Ball Tip is larger and occurs higher up on the animal, I find it is less tender and had more connective tissue. However, many people feel it is a great grilling cut, and sliced across the grain, it is a whole lot like tri-tip. It is cheaper and as such, often looked down upon.

Most folks go to Kinders for the Ball-tip BBQ sandwich, there is also the Prime Rib sandwich, which I cannot comment on, and the Hot Link sandwich, which I used to get when I worked nearby.
You learn something new everyday. I'll have to give them a try.

I'm a fan of Kinder's BBQ sauces, though they are a bit on the sweet side. They've also got an excellent Jamaican Jerk marinade, as well as a good garlic marinade which I use on chicken thighs all the time.

In the restaurants I enjoy their chicken sandwiches and the ball-tip, good for lunch in a pinch when I'm wanting something more then a cold sandwich but less then a sit down joint. They also carry a very good pre-marinated tri-tip which I enjoy cooking up.

Little late to the party here, but Kinder's sauces are super sweet! When I first moved to the Bay Area seven years ago I could barely eat them, but they've grown on me and I almost always have a jar of their Extra Hot BBQ sauce in my fridge. I just make sure I don't put the sweet sauce on already sweet meat.

As for eating at Kinders, their California Chicken Club sandwich is without a doubt my favorite chicken sandwich.

I have tried so many sauces over the years... some good, some great and some not so good. A few months ago, I was cruising through Costco's organic section. Kinder's organic mild BBQ sauce was on sale. Bought a 2-pack (hey, it's Costco). Needless to say, Kinder's is now my favorite sauce. It's outstanding IMO.

Brothers

Try Brothers Mopping Sauce. You know a sauced is good when you sop it up with the bread.

Back