Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub

SURVIVORQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I used this for the first time on my ribs and pork butt and it seemed a little salty for my taste. I know several of you guys recommend this rub do you not need to use as much? I did get first place in ribs with this I just used a really sweet sauce to offset the salty. Any suggestions for the pork butt? I just can't seem to get a good enough score on pork even turning in slices.

What are you getting for tenderness scores on your pork?

I use it on my ribs and have had several first place and top 5 calls.

However, I don't use it alone. I use it in layers with another rub, a layer of maple syrup and and a mixture of sauces and spices.

It's all about finding the right balance, and Plowboys is just part of that balance for me.

I use it on my ribs and have had several first place and top 5 calls.

However, I don't use it alone. I use it in layers with another rub, a layer of maple syrup and and a mixture of sauces and spices.

It's all about finding the right balance, and Plowboys is just part of that balance for me.
I would have to agree with this. I don't use plowboys myself but have tasted it before. It's pretty salty and savory but that's about it. I would think it would need to be mixed or layered with something sweet. Rub is just one small factor of taste scores on pork. There are many other variables that have more influence on the flavor of the pork.

We've been using Yardbird on our pork for years now. Over the last couple years pork has become one of our strongest entries.

We use a "salty" injection and finish with a sweeter, vinegar-based, sauce.

To be honest, we often finish with a sprinkle of fine salt just before it goes in the box.

I wonder if the judges out here just like them some salt??

Back