What do you say when

scp

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a guy I work with that just started playing around with his electric smoker. Did a pork butt and it came out pretty good....but they are the most forgiving piece of meat I have dealt with. Did some chix...good too. Last weekend...a brisket. Brought me a piece...good flavor...but that chewy texture you get when they are slightly under done....I should know my first two were exactly the same.

He was stoked...how should I tell him...it wasn't quite done.

Just talk to him about your experiences - compare notes, you've been there.

Make sure you tell him the good along with the constructive criticism. Like LMAJ said, you have been there, share with what you did to get better

He should be happy that he has some one who knows what's what. Some of us are just flyin' blind.

Just tell him! I wish someone had told me more truths about my Q early on; I wound up being my own toughest critic (probably still am) but if I had heard it early I would have tried to "fix" it earlier.

I agree, just tell him. People get mad at me because I don't believe them when they tell me how good my BBQ is lol. My first few briskets were terrible and I know they still aren't on par. That's why I enjoy cooking with my brother, we tell each other what is good, not so good, and what is down right wrong! From there we tweak and improve.

You got a couple options:
1. Smile and be happy, just go with it.
2. Tell him you prefer yours a little more done.
3. Make one yourself and let him try it.

Doneness is subjective. We all know someone that likes their steaks cooked until it resembles shoe leather and that is their idea of done perfectly. Let him try yours and tell him this is the way you prefer it cooked.

Going through the same thing with a young guy who works for me. If it was me trying to learn I would want an honest opinion of my effort.

I had to train friends and my ol lady to tell me what they really think. Most of us have been trained to not say anything negative when being fed.

Only way to make him see the light is for him to taste it.

Only way to make him see the light is for him to taste it.

Well said. I don't think I had good brisket till I lived in Texas. I wanted to eat at every little joint I could to see who's brisket was the best, or how I wanted to cook one. And living in Alabama, I had alot of good PP and ribs. So I already knew what I wanted there.

as a newbie you are excited by pulling off things and getting good/better results. But...simple honesty is how to break it to him, don't be mean just show him, he will praise you once you guide him to wait and have a "probe tender" brisket.

(follow the bludawg)

I would find what was good about it. Taste, smoke amount etc. Then tell him the mistakes YOU made and what you learned. I'm sure he was proud of it and for newbie, was probably pretty good. I like to share my learning so but not be that bbq snob

^Pretty sound advice. It always goes better sharing how you do things and having the apprentice ask for advice before giving it.

Tell him about this new crazy idea of hot and fast briskets, and encourage him to try it. And to build a UDS ;)

If he asks for tips, give them to him. If he doesn't, bring him some of your bbq and let him taste it, then tell him what you did. Most people will take advice easier if they know you are that much better at something than them.

Nothing,smile and say YUM,Thanks for sharing ,then bring one of yours and let him ask you how to achieve the MAGIC!

Good management techniques can be applied here. Sit down over a beer or another meal and discuss BBQ/smoking in general. Bragg on all the good things he did with his smoker and his cook, and then explain how you do yours. Mention how you found out a way to tell when your briskets were truly done and at their peak in tenderness and juicy texture. Explain how the cook is different from cooking a roast or a steak, in that you can't go by temperature alone.

Tell him that his brisket was almost there in your opinion, but it could have been perfect if he cooked it a little longer to allow the fat to render out and become tender and juicy. Explain to him why this is important, and how to tell when it gets to this point. Suggest an article on the web for him to read to better explain the process. Then bragg on his brisket again. He won't learn unless someone guides him to the correct process. It might help if you have some great brisket for him to taste test. Good luck!

Have a Blessed day as a mentor!

Omar

Doesn't really have to be all that complicated. If you don't want to be completely direct with him, instead say "Man, that's ALMOST perfect!".

No one expects things to be perfect, especially when first starting out, so he most likely won't be offended or put off by it at all. To the contrary, he'd probably take being near perfect as a compliment. At the same time, "ALMOST" just hangs there begging the question "what should I have done to reach perfection". When he asks, say that it could have cooked for just a little bit longer, then explain the poke test or bone wiggle test to him.

Back