Considering selling my Blackstone Patio Oven, what am I missing?

Taylormade

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I've had the oven for about a month now and I've cooked 5 or 6 pizzas in it. They're good, but they're not great IMO and we really miss the wood fired flavor from the Kamado. I tried searing a steak in it after sous vide'ing them to 120 but, again, we missed the flavor of the wood, and I didn't see it as being any different than searing it on the griddle.

So, what am I missing here? Is there something else that I should be trying to cook with it? Mac n cheese, veggies, etc? To me the pizza's better in the kamado. Sure it's more expensive to cook there and takes a lot longer to set up, but the taste is better. I just need to get a rotating plate for it, ha!

I think it's a neat toy, I just need a reason to keep it.

You should probably sell it. Everything you stated is what is important to you. Neo pies from wood fired ovens don't take on much smoke flavor in a 900 degree oven in 1 minute, but that is apparently not what you are looking for in pizza.

You have to make what you like.

If it's not working for you let it go. Not every cooker is right for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Blackstone gets up to temp in no time, and is able to maintain a consistent top and bottom heat. It excels at specific types of pizza. I personally like it for all types of pizza. If you don't really get into for pizza I wouldn't try to justify it any other way. Its just too small to be used for much else on a regular basis.

Wish you were closer; I'd buy it from you. Neapolitan pizzas are my favorite and that looks to be a great tool to cook them.

I think the Blackstone Patio is a replacement tool for pizza aficionados that have stones in their kitchen ovens and cook them a lot that way and try their darndest to get that kitchen oven over the typical top temp of 550-600 degrees.

I don't think it's a replacement or substitute to either grilled pizza's or wood fired pizzas. Those are something different.

I've found it to be an amazing replacement for the former. The pizza's are far beyond what my oven can typically do, and I've cooked many kinds over many years with many dough varieties. I mean, just the fact that in 10 minutes I can be ready to stone cook them is a selling point.

But - I'm still going to use my gasser for grilled pizza's all the time, where raw dough is grated, then flipped, then toppings are added that are typically pre-cooked or don't need a lot of 'cooking' and the bottom of the dough is blackened by the grill. Different item , to me.

Different tools for different jobs, and having more tools is fun :)

Different tools for different jobs, and having more tools is fun :)

Agree 100% and I'm stacking up the tools, believe me... I just have a lot of them stacking up and they're taking up space. I have a big DuCane built in gas grill and my kamado in an island, my blackstone griddle and the blackstone oven all on my deck and my stick burner 10' in the yard.

One thing I keep going back to on the Blackstone oven is that I really like the rotating aspect of it. It cooks evenly (obviously) and to that end, it's better than the kamado. I also think it'd do great at parties when you need to knock out 5-10 pizzas in a hurry.

Why not try one of those cast iron smoker trays people use on their gassers??

The Blackstone oven is the last cooker I'd sell but to each his own. Like Dave (Smokeat) said, at higher temp you don't taste any smoke flavor regardless the cooker.

Give these a shot maybe? I'm very happy with it and its' stupid cheap. you can make 10" pizzas max but they come out awesome. Cooks as fast as the Blackstone and it works out because everyone can have their own personalized pizza. Learned how not to burn the crust and all is good

Some random pics making pizza and pita bread

wZ5RgFAh.jpg

XZ23KP8h.jpg

1glMnhXh.jpg

QObcTOAh.jpg

fV17viqh.jpg

BizA2yuh.jpg

3PYEYwPh.jpg

yORCKvph.jpg

elEK3dzh.jpg

9fwcZc0h.jpg

Sako, you never cease to amaze. That fresh pita has me reaching for the garbanzos and tahini or Za'atar, I can almost smell them fresh out of the oven! Dave

Back