What is the Hardest Thing you Cook?

emtnate

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For the backyard chefs, not the competition circuits, what is the biggest challenge to grill or barbecue? For me, getting the right amount of smoke on Salmon has been tricky. I might try some of your suggestions if I feel like a good challenge.

Coconuts may be hard to open, so I guess it is fair. How about some grilled coconut and pineapple served over vanilla ice cream? I am off on Sunday, let me see what I can come up with.

I think salmon as far as what I smoke on a regular basis. I tend to overcook it and a lot of the getting smoke into the fillet is done with the marinade process. It's tricky, not hard but tricky is the word I would use for it.

For whatever reason for me it's ribs. My kids prefer the pre cooked ones that you just heat on the grill for comparison.

Not sure why I struggle so much with them

For me it's pork loin roast. Just hard for me to keep it from drying out.

Even though I'm very consistent in what I consider very good ribs, there have been two times where I turned out my favorite ribs. Both times were just with S&P, no foil and produced a fantastic black bark. When I bite into it, it's a perfect sweet smoke and almost looks like a beautiful brisket . Been doing it the same ever since, but sometimes the meat, smoke, humidity, etc all just works together perfectly and the results are magic. Man I'm hungry.

Brisket

With out a doubt Brisket, is the hardest for me. Tried many different ways,hot n fast,low and slow, foiled, unfoiled with the same results,tender tasty but always dry.
I haven't giving up on Brisket just yet.
DanB

Ribs are a constant hit or miss for me. Mostly I overcook em but they usually taste good, definitely it's a tenderness thing. Brisket & pork butt are pretty much always good to real good overall. I strive for excellence though! :biggrin1:

Brine it...inject it ...and pull it off the heat at 140 internal temp. It will be great. :grin:

Well now I have my answer at least to why mine is usually dry...I'm too lazy to brine and inject. :mrgreen:

Brisket has always been the biggest challenge for me. I am finally learning to let it finish and not pull it early.

Whole hog......I don't have a big enough cooker to cook one.

Brisket was a challenge, but has improved with every 'q. I was actually really happy with my last one.

Well now I have my answer at least to why mine is usually dry...I'm too lazy to brine and inject. :mrgreen:

You don't need to inject or brine to get a juicy loin - just don't overshoot the internal temp. I pull mine between 140-145 and they consistently turn out great.

You don't need to inject or brine to get a juicy loin - just don't overshoot the internal temp. I pull mine between 140-145 and they consistently turn out great.

I agree. I have only done 2 for a friend and IT is the key. Also, if you want to get a little extra smoke flavor cook them at a little lower pit temp. They cook really fast at 325.

Back