Does it bother you?

When a member starts a thread "asking for guidance", then never responds to the advice given, does not report the outcome, or even click on the "thanks" ?
Maybe I just expect too much? Just curious.

I do find it odd, but just figure they got wrapped up in daily life and kind of forget they ever asked the question. I imagine I have been guilty of that myself at times.

It's also like giving a detailed description of a successful cook or a new way to try something and no one ever responds.

And don't say anything about posting pics. This is the most difficult forum that I have ever tried to post pics on. I can't figure out the routing.

It's also like giving a detailed description of a successful cook or a new way to try something and no one ever responds.

And don't say anything about posting pics. This is the most difficult forum that I have ever tried to post pics on. I can't figure out the routing.

upload your picture to imgur.com

after uploading the pic you will see a link for the pic marked get share links, select the one marked bbcode (forums) copy and paste that and your image will appear.

z4Pjgd4.jpg

Code:
Or if you already have the link for the picture you just need to put [img] in front of the url for the picture and [/img] after.

I've stopped sharing advice or personal experience on most threads. When you go to the trouble of posting info, pics, etc.. and get no thanks, acknowledgement, or outcome from the person inquiring... it's just easier for me to skip over the whole thread.
Not all members are rude but there are a few.

The vast majority of the membership is fantastic. Then you have folks that are here to ask, then leave. In other words, not looking to be active.
As a Moderator, I've personally dealt with ALL types of personalities. Some pleasant, others far from it. Even more bothersome is established members who ask for advice, but get bent out shape because the advice you offer isn't what they are looking for or get hysterical because the advice you offer goes against what they believe. Those are too damn funny. You ask for advice, then get pissed off about the advice given to you! Lmao. I can tell you, The Moderating Team has seen it all. Those types are not new, we've had them before and will see them in the future.
Please don't stop offering advice. While the person who asked for it might not acknowledge it, I guarantee you it will end up helping others down the line. We do expect more from long time members, but that is not always the case either.
Forums have a life cycle, I'll post the link in a bit.

Thanks for offering advice. Sadly, we do expect or should expect a certain level of response and don't get it. Take into account if the member is new or long time. Sometimes that has a lot to do with it.

Bob

Thanks for continuing to offer advice. That is what keeps this place going.

But yes, thanking a post or rating it as helpful goes a LONG way?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81360&highlight=inception

Last edited:
I might be guilty too. I lurk here more than I post. A quick search gives me time, temp, recipe, etc., usually all I need to know. My being technologically challenged makes pics difficult. Time gets away, wife's job is busy, kids... if it ain't one thing it's another.

Another thing that bothers me is when the advice given is unanimous, yet the seeker ignores it and is disappointed at the outcome. I too might have been guilty of this.:oops:

When a member starts a thread "asking for guidance", then never responds to the advice given, does not report the outcome, or even click on the "thanks" ?

I believe in common courtesy. If I open the door for you, you had better at least smile or nod your head at me.

I agree, but I can accept the fact that maybe they took the information and may post in a future thread.

Where I have my biggest stumbling block is when we are asked and offer information and then they become argumentative of what many have told them. IE: The most common is when they under-cook a brisket and they think it's dry and over-cooked. We all tell them to throw out all common cooking sense and start with fresh knowledge... A hard to slice brisket appears dry, where as an over cooked brisket will crumble. There are so many other topics with similar info.

My thought is, if you want to argue about the information you asked for, why did you bother to ask in the first place.

I know I've been guilty of this at least once. No Offense meant!

Sometimes I get wrapped up in the cook, get distracted, etc...

Sometimes lose the thread to begin with. Coors Light, Jim, Jack all know the truth.

This is still my go-to place for advice!

Thanks - that helps a lot... :decision:

Back