Question for PBC owners

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm considering a PBC. I had a question about capacity. What's the most you've cooked on it at once? I've read it can cook 8 racks of ribs, but what about butts, and brisket? How many have you done at once (or would you attempt).

I don't need a ton of space but 2 briskets or 3-4 butts would be nice.

Any other information would be great too. Pros, cons, ect.

Thanks in advance.

This does not answer your question directly but were you aware of the WSM hanging rack? Just remove water pan.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7472-Expandable-Smoking-18-Inch/dp/B00FDOOOVO"]Amazon.com : Weber 7472 Expandable Smoking Rack, 18-Inch : Grill Racks : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hooz1CI3L.@@AMEPARAM@@41Hooz1CI3L[/ame]

I've cooked 2 8lb butts on the cooking grate multiple times with great success. Turns out great. Have never hung a butt on it before but if you had smaller butts you could potentially cook 3-4 of the 4-5 pound variety.

With ribs, you can cook really as many as you have hooks for. I've never cooked a full 8 on mine but have done 4 with no problems.

Its a good cooker and I like it. Makes FANTASTIC chicken, whether thighs on the grate or a whole hanger.

I'd love a wsm Mike, but I don't wanna get a new one. I've been looking for used but for nearly a year have had no luck.
I have an opportunity to possibly get a used PBC for a decent price. My thoughts are functionally they would cook similar.

Thanks for the info. If I do end up with a wsm some day I like the idea of being able to hang meat in it!

I've cooked 2 8lb butts on the cooking grate multiple times with great success. Turns out great. Have never hung a butt on it before but if you had smaller butts you could potentially cook 3-4 of the 4-5 pound variety.

With ribs, you can cook really as many as you have hooks for. I've never cooked a full 8 on mine but have done 4 with no problems.

Its a good cooker and I like it. Makes FANTASTIC chicken, whether thighs on the grate or a whole hanger.

That's not bad. 2, 8-10 lb butts is good for me right now. You think I'd do 2 briskets?

Thanks for the info

I think you might be able get about 3 8# butts on the grate. I'm not sure about the brisket as I tend to stick to the small cuts from Meijer/Walmart. Seeing some of the briskets at the local meat store, I think you could only fit one on the grate (I forget what size they are). While hanging your meat is advertised, butts and briskets will eventually need to be removed from the hooks and placed on the grate out a necessity. For those, I don't bother with the hooks any more.

For ribs, if you had the hooks, I can easy see one being able to get 10-12 ribs in it. One thing to look out on ribs is that they might be too long and the end closest to the coals can get dried out or burnt.

Last edited:
I think you might be able get about 3 8# butts on the grate. I'm not sure about the brisket as I tend to stick to the small cuts from Meijer/Walmart. Seeing some of the briskets at the local meat store, I think you could only fit one on the grate (I forget what size they are). While hanging your meat is advertised, butts and briskets will eventually need to be removed from the hooks and placed on the grate out a necessity. For those, I don't bother with the hooks any more.

For ribs, if you had the hooks, I can easy see one being able to get 10-12 ribs in it. One thing to look out on ribs is that they might be too long and the end closest to the coals can get dried out or burnt.

That's right, I forgot that you eventually move butts and brisket to the rack. I'm sure that'll limit me to one brisket. But one is enough for now I guess considering I've never made one at all. Lol.

I could trim the ribs tips a little but I tend to like cooking whole spares and trimming after the cook. Not a big deal.

what about this. If I found a 18.5 kettle lid and closed up the holes where the hanging rods go and added another rack at the top couldn't I run it like a wsm and get even more food in there? I know the bottom intake isn't meant to be moved but I like cooking in the 260-280 range anyway. Seems like an easy cheap mod. Tell me why this wouldn't work? :becky:

Ok,

Basically it's how creative can you get. You can do 3-4 butts or 4+ 12-14lb briskets if you want to leave them hanging all the way through until probe tender.

If you want to use the rack past 160* then I'd say 3-4 butts again (depending on the size) and 2 briskets.

Now, I've done butts and briskets by hanging all the way. You just foil them both at 160* and leave them hanging. Briskets are fine but you have to be really careful not to drop the butts towards the end of the cook when it's almost time to pull. It can be done because I did it.

Here are some pics

I don't have a ton of experience with mine yet, it's relatively new, but on Sunday I had 3 racks of back ribs and 4 chicken halves and still had room to spare

Full packer brisket, 3 racks ribs, two whole chickens, when chicks and ribs were thru installed the grate laid the foiled brisket @165-175 IT along with and cooked 24 meatloaf cupcakes- 75% all natural briquettes 25% lump. There was fire remaining. I don't snuff out and reuse PBC coals. I start fresh each time. Also on this cook I'm thinking it was cool/humid so I hung a paperclip over the lip under the lid a short while a couple times to keep fire at upper end. I have a Tel Tru to install, it's still sitting on bookcase. There was room remaining for another brisket. I've seen lots of stories of peeps chasing temps with intake hole. Occasional paperclip requires no stooping. Probably two beer can size chunks of pecan in coals.

PBC- All pro No Con
Everything was put on at same time.
Chickens 2 hours
BB Ribs 4 hours
Brisket 12# foiled @165-175 when it probed right
Meatloaf 1.5 hours
SWAG Times

I'm 3600' above sea level

Ok,

Basically it's how creative can you get. You can do 3-4 butts or 4+ 12-14lb briskets if you want to leave them hanging all the way through until probe tender.

If you want to use the rack past 160* then I'd say 3-4 butts again (depending on the size) and 2 briskets.

Now, I've done butts and briskets by hanging all the way. You just foil them both at 160* and leave them hanging. Briskets are fine but you have to be really careful not to drop the butts towards the end of the cook when it's almost time to pull. It can be done because I did it.

Here are some pics

Thanks for the info! I'm not seeing the pics though.

Full packer brisket, 3 racks ribs, two whole chickens, when chicks and ribs were thru installed the grate laid the foiled brisket @165-175 IT along with and cooked 24 meatloaf cupcakes- 75% all natural briquettes 25% lump. There was fire remaining. I don't snuff out and reuse PBC coals. I start fresh each time. Also on this cook I'm thinking it was cool/humid so I hung a paperclip over the lip under the lid a short while a couple times to keep fire at upper end. I have a Tel Tru to install, it's still sitting on bookcase. There was room remaining for another brisket. I've seen lots of stories of peeps chasing temps with intake hole. Occasional paperclip requires no stooping. Probably two beer can size chunks of pecan in coals.

PBC- All pro No Con
Everything was put on at same time.
Chickens 2 hours
BB Ribs 4 hours
Brisket 12# foiled @165-175 when it probed right
Meatloaf 1.5 hours
SWAG Times

I'm 3600' above sea level

Awesome! Thanks! I do snuff out coals from my smokes on my weber but I don't reuse them when smoking meat. I always use fresh Stubbs. I use the old stuff for grilling.

I made an offer on the used PBC. We'll see what happens.

Looks like I struck a deal

Well fellas (and fella-etts), as long as something weird doesn't happen I should be the proud owner of a new to me (slightly used) Pit Barrel Cooker hopefully tomorrow! It was purchased new in Sept and comes with a cover. I haven't seen it yet but the person I'm buying it from said it's still in like new condition. Only 4 cooks on it. We agreed on $175. How's that deal? :becky:

Well fellas (and fella-etts), as long as something weird doesn't happen I should be the proud owner of a new to me (slightly used) Pit Barrel Cooker hopefully tomorrow! It was purchased new in Sept and comes with a cover. I haven't seen it yet but the person I'm buying it from said it's still in like new condition. Only 4 cooks on it. We agreed on $175. How's that deal? :becky:

I think you got a great deal. You will love the PBC. Just don't over think your cook. Follow the videos on You Tube and pull the food off when it's done. Don't stress over what temp the PBC is running at. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

I think you got a great deal. You will love the PBC. Just don't over think your cook. Follow the videos on You Tube and pull the food off when it's done. Don't stress over what temp the PBC is running at. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

I've watched a few videos when deciding if i wanted one, but I'll watch them again. I'll probably do some spares for the first cook. This will be my first barrel smoker.
I'm sure my wife will give me the raised eyebrow over a 3rd cooker...lol. I may be selling off the Akorn. I like my kettle better anyway so not a big deal if I have to....:becky:

just get the SF vertical..done!

I smoked chicken for my first cook since everyone raved about how flavorful and juicy the white meat turns out. Also wanted to convince my wife that I wasn't crazy for buying a cooker that looks like a trash can. Well she loved the chicken and understood why I wanted the PBC. Good luck with whatever you decide to make!

Back