Mak 2-Star Capacity

tclark

Knows what a fatty is.
I need a new pellet smoker and have about convinced myself to go with the Mak 2-Star, but I'm a little concerned with the capacity. How many butts can one comfortably cook on one? Briskets? Those are my most common bigger cooks, although I've started cooking ribs a little more lately too.

Would I be better off with a Weber Smokefire or such(that's another I've been eying as I could get two for about the price of one Mak).

As far as capacity, on a MAK 2 Star you can easily fit six giant butts or eight moderate size butts. Two giant briskets or four moderate size briskets. And up to 16 slabs of ribs.

I don't like stocking mine nearly that full.

The bottom row always cooked significantly faster than the others (logical with the firebox placement) so now you are onto row 2 already. Each rack is pretty close to the one below it (a standard Sams Club full size aluminum pan is too tall to fit) so that means you have to skip to the top rack, which is 3/4 at it's max size. And then? You better pray you don't need to reach the back of the lower level.

I LOVE to bulk cook, and when I bought the MAK, I drastically had to cut down on that as more than 4 butts became more of a headache than it was worth. 2 briskets is my max, and only if I can fit them on the same rack (so, not anything massive)

Ha, I could get two 2-stars for that price!

I may just have to utilize more than one rig for bigger cooks I guess. On a totally different note, how about the Good One Marshall, anybody run one of those? It looks like a good bit of capacity. I know I could go with a bigger offset for the capacity, but would like something that's more hands off as I often just don't have the time to tend a fire.

I would buy the Woodwind Pellet Grill. You can't compare the ability to stick burn on a pellet grill. I have the stick burner attachment for my Pit Boss, and if i have to ever replace it, i'm looking at that woodwind.

The LSG is built like a tank, great smoke volume and tons of space and looks like a real cooker, not a Star Wars droid ��

yes, if you can stand the very long wait it is a very good cooker. Even with the silly looks the Mak is a time tested cooker and has devoted fans so either way you cannot go wrong.

Lonestar Grillz 20x42 is comparable quality wise to Mak, and will have more capacity. It’s a five month wait to get one though.

Just checked this one out, really nice for the price. If I were a buyer, I'd save money and grab one of these.

I don't have any experience with the Mak's, but my piece of advice would be if you are concerned with capacity buy something slightly larger than you think you need.

That's the idea. I'm in no rush, will probably be next summer before I buy something anyone; just looking into my options. I've read so many good things about Mak I had kind of settled on that in my mind; looks like I need to expand my options a bit.

I have owned a MAK 1 Star for many years, two versions. I can say his, I do believe they are overpriced, and you can get something bigger and just as good for less money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i had a Mak 2....capacity was on the smaller side. I would only do 1 brisket at a time so I could out a foil pan under to help keep it clean. That was a 12 to 14 lber...2 at most.

Back