Pork Brisket

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I was in a small grocery meat section, and saw pork briskets. I have no knowledge how to smoke these. They were about the size oof a packer beef brisket. I think the price was $1.69 per pound. Anybody out there with experience on these please share your knowledge.

It is probably a whole shoulder (picnic and butt all in one) That is the same area of the pig that coincides with the beef brisket area. A picnic normally will run between 8-11lbs and the butt between 7-9lbs, for a total of about 15-20lbs typically. A beef brisket will run anywhere between 12-18lbs typically.

15-PorkCutChart1440x985.jpg

BeefChart.jpg

I never heard of a pork brisket, so I googled it and came up with the following:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/the-butchers-cuts-pork-brisket.html

Pork brisket is simply a substantial part of a boned-out picnic ham. (A picnic ham, as we discussed in a Nasty Bits post regarding the primals, is the lower half of a full shoulder on a pig.) I'm calling this cut on the pig a pork brisket to emphasize that what we value on the beef brisket—the fatty marbling and connective tissue that breaks down with cooking—can be found on the the pig as well.

a pork brisket is actually an ideal cut to roast or braise.

Though it's sometimes dismissed as too fatty, a pork brisket is actually an ideal cut to roast or braise.

Perfect. Given what it is, you could either smoke to slice or smoke to pull.

If you want 'pork brisket' than I'm guessing probe tender and slice

Back