Crazy thin brisket. Ideas?

SmokyCoCo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
So I just received a 7-8 pound brisket. It was part of a cow share. From what I understand, the cow is pretty young, so the brisket is small, the smallest I think I’ve ever seen. It’s only about an inch in thickness maybe a little more in some places, any ideas on how you would approach barbecuing this thing without it turning into leather? Should I just foil boat thing the whole time?

Thats gonna reach target temp way before it breaks down. +1 on grinding. Anyway you cut it, your gonna end up with a dried out piece of meat smoked the traditional way. Any otherway it wont be traditional smoked brisket. I prefer to cook meats the best possible way for what it is.

Maybe cube it and make burnt ends.

It plumps up. I've cooked a 7lber once (5lb after trimming) and it was pretty good fwiw.

4c3cTLoh.jpg

vX7pkpCh.jpg

I cooked a 7 pounder before at 250 for however long it takes. No tallow or butcher paper. Just smoked. It was one of the most tender briskets I've cooked. Probably because it was from a younger cow.

I had the same issue. Did a cow share with a small cow. Smallest brisket I ever saw. I didn't want to mess with smoking it, thinking it would not turn out very good, so my wife baked it in the oven. It turned out very moist and tender. I regretted not smoking it after tasting it. Maybe cook over a pan to project the flat.

I just had a thin one, only about 1" thick at flat. I had good luck with the long hold at 150. I cooked it to just over 190, then held in oven wrapped at 150 for 10 hours. It came out fine.

Brisket

When we used to buy local beef I asked the butcher why the “briskets” are so small. Size of the animal is part of it, but local shops typically have smaller cryovac equipment so they cut them into pieces.

So I just received a 7-8 pound brisket. It was part of a cow share. From what I understand, the cow is pretty young, so the brisket is small, the smallest I think I’ve ever seen. It’s only about an inch in thickness maybe a little more in some places, any ideas on how you would approach barbecuing this thing without it turning into leather? Should I just foil boat thing the whole time?

You could do brisket challah (braided brisket)
image_editor_output_image-1265451585-1676517768376.jpg

Cut lengthwise into 3 (or 4) strips leaving the strips attached on one end. Braid the strips and then cook like normal.

Whoa

Ok, now that looks worth doing!

Also wish we had a challah source down here.

Damn.

You could do brisket challah (braided brisket)
image_editor_output_image-1265451585-1676517768376.jpg

Cut lengthwise into 3 (or 4) strips leaving the strips attached on one end. Braid the strips and then cook like normal.

Back