How do you buy your sauce

Pig Headed

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a question for the forum. I've been having a discussion with my wife (and CFO of the team) about how I buy sauce. I prefer to buy pints of sauce so I can minimize open jars or gallons. I feel that the flavor and characteristics of the sauce change when it has been opened and refrigerated. If I only use pints, I can minimize this. I know that it is more expensive to buy by the pint rather than quart or gallon but that's not my concern. She says I'm being Pigheaded hence the teams name, but I feel I'm right. What say you, am I nuts?

I'm always messing with recipes so depending on the sauce, I'll buy quarts or pints. For the sauces that I use on a consistent basis, I'll get gallons of half gallons, and the gallons will last most of our season.

Having been on a quest for thee "right" way to bbq, I have determined that the right way to bbq is what you believe is right, what works for your budget, and as long as you are happy with your results in the backyard or in competition, that is the way. - 1st Proposition of BBQ

I have a question for the forum. I've been having a discussion with my wife (and CFO of the team) about how I buy sauce. I prefer to buy pints of sauce so I can minimize open jars or gallons. I feel that the flavor and characteristics of the sauce change when it has been opened and refrigerated. If I only use pints, I can minimize this. I know that it is more expensive to buy by the pint rather than quart or gallon but that's not my concern. She says I'm being Pigheaded hence the teams name, but I feel I'm right. What say you, am I nuts?

Take this with a grain of salt, because I went through 7 or 8 gallons of sauce last season. If you aren't tasting your product before you turn it in and fine tuning it then, your nuts.:thumb:

I buy gallons or as big as I can get. All our big wins have come from containers opened more than a few weeks or even months. But lots of other teams way better than us

Well my sauce is sold in pints, quarts, and gallons. As a businessman I like it best when you buy pints, but if you compete a lot I think gallons are the way to go from a $$ point. Try compromising: Buy a gallon and fill up 8 leftover pint jars. Use as needed. That way they have only been exposed to the air once prior to use, instead of multiple times pouring product out for each event. In my personal situation I don't have room to store gallons, so I go with quarts. I use 1 per contest. HTH.

great question and I'm not sure what the science answer would be, but in my gut instinct reaction I worry about the same thing you do.....when my sauce gets a few months old, I feel like I need a "new batch" and I waste the old sauce many times.

so, as a result, I have found that in buying smaller containers that I use fully helps my mental approach to what I'm doing.

We're doing five contests this year spread out from March through October. If I did more contests then I wouldnt have a problem buying larger quantities and going through them quicker......but right now, I just dont see any reason to buy a gallon of sauce and spend 8 months using it.

BUT, I will freely admit that I have no scientific knowledge regarding this, it's just my personal preference. I'm sure I could do a blind taste test of sauce on my product with one being brand new just opened sauce and the other being several months old and would have no idea which was which. lol

but I will tell you that buying a 24 pack of apple juice from Costco or Sam's has been a better move for me.

Not all the time, because there are times I will use a gallon or two for larger cooks......or making lots of injection. but I can't tell you the number of times I've needed about 8 ounces of apple juice to do something and I have to open up a gallon and unless my son drinks it later that week it ends up getting thrown away.

while the 24 packs per ounce are certainly more expensive than buying a gallon or two gallon jugs, I can verify for sure for me, that it results in far less waste in that category.

Well my sauce is sold in pints, quarts, and gallons. As a businessman I like it best when you buy pints, but if you compete a lot I think gallons are the way to go from a $$ point. Try compromising: Buy a gallon and fill up 8 leftover pint jars. Use as needed. That way they have only been exposed to the air once prior to use, instead of multiple times pouring product out for each event. In my personal situation I don't have room to store gallons, so I go with quarts. I use 1 per contest. HTH.

Swamp Boys is one of the sauces I buy in gallons :biggrin1: I keep the gallon in the fridge and pour into 16 oz water bottles for each contest.

The problem here is that logic doesn't necessarily apply. When you win and the sauce comes from a pint, it needs to come from a pint next time. I think your stuck with pints. Otherwise, every bad finish would be because the sauce came from a gallon jug. Your welcome ;)

The problem here is that logic doesn't necessarily apply. When you win and the sauce comes from a pint, it needs to come from a pint next time. I think your stuck with pints. Otherwise, every bad finish would be because the sauce came from a gallon jug. Your welcome ;)

I'd say you have no idea how true that is, but I know you know exactly how true it is. I'm not superstitious at all except for BBQ.

Superstitious...naw!

Conversation at the dinner table this week,
- "Daddy, why do you inject your ribs...because you get more flavor"
- "No, silly child, because the first time we did it, we got a 180!"

Think I'll ever NOT inject them again?!

Sorry to get sidetracked...I buy gallons and don't notice a difference.

Rub, where can we get the gallon jugs of your stuff. I asked BPS and they said they didn't carry them...?? This was as of a couple of months ago.

BTW, I buy gallons and fill mason jars to take to comps.

I only use sauce out of gallons.

Rub, where can we get the gallon jugs of your stuff. I asked BPS and they said they didn't carry them...?? This was as of a couple of months ago.

BTW, I buy gallons and fill mason jars to take to comps.

Rub only sells gallons on his site. Hard to make it economical for us retailers to buy and sell gallons unless we buy them by the pallet.

http://store.swampboys.com/category-s/1817.htm

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Rub
We buy our pork and rib sauce one ingredient at a time...the other sauce is by the gallon.

I buy them buy the gallons and from my perspective, both Swamp boys gallons and blues hog sauces in gallons have not changed in flavor being opened for a period of time.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Back