Where Do You Buy Your Pork Butts?

TBoneMac

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Mac
I've been buying my pork butts from a local butcher who is retiring and going out of business. So I need a new source. I'm a backyard cook and buy only one or two butts at a time.

Where do you buy yours? Does Kroger sell quality butts?

Thanks.

I get mine at Costco (they come in two-packs so I usually cook one and freeze the other). They are boneless so I use one or two wood kabob sticks (stuck through the butt :) ) to keep it together during the cook.

I usually buy mine wherever they are on sale. I have two 10+ pounders in my Refrig that I bought last weekend at my local Winn Dixie for $0.99/lb. Swift I think. Smoking them on Sunday. So long as they are Whole and Bone-In, I've never really noticed much difference in the finished product.

I have been looking for Heritage pork for competitions, but finding them at a price my wife won't divorce me over is nearly impossible, so that has not transpired. I had a comp this past weekend and I bought a butt from Publix (1/2 butt, at that), just as a supplement to what I was already cooking and that was probably the best quality that I have cooked. It was very moist and fell apart as I was pulling it. I am definitely going to use those again.

I have been watching the sale papers in our area. Usually I can get them on sale at Kroger or other chain stores for 97 cents a pound (bone in). Have been satisfied with the quality.

For the most part, I buy my pork butt and shoulders at the Base Commissary at about $1.35 a pound, even when BJ's and Costco were close to $3.00 a pound. I find they have much less of a fat cap when compared to what I have purchased at BJ's.

In the end, I realize that not everyone has access to a military installation to shop at the commissary, so my second point of purchase would be Restaurant Depot by the case. You don't have to buy in case lots, but that's where the greater savings are.

Not for competition, but around here, either the 2-pack at Sam's Club, Gordon Food Service has Prairie Fresh Butts for $1.49/lb, Kroger or Meijer when on sale at .99/lb, lastly Restaurant Depot, if I feel like making the drive.

I get mine at Costco (they come in two-packs so I usually cook one and freeze the other). They are boneless so I use one or two wood kabob sticks (stuck through the butt :) ) to keep it together during the cook.
I found out about Costco being boneless yesterday. Are they always boneless there? I love those tubes that are inside the bone.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I get them from Costco too, when the price is right, they've always been boneless here.
I just finish cutting them in half and either smoke the good half/halfs, or cut up into country style ribs, souvlaki chunks, or ground pork. Will be making "bacon" with the next one.

Back