Yoder YS480 - Any thoughts / Experience??

I would say maybe 600.... But, yoder in my humble opinion and tons or research are probably the best or about the best pellet machine there is. I had a treager and loved it. Rebuilt twice in 12 years of hard use. My friend has a Yoder..... Never touched it in 10 years of moderate use. Flavor is great.

We made a deal on it and I'm supposed to pick it up later today but it's not as good as that price. It was manufactured in November 2012 so I think it's a newer model. I wonder if there were any upgrades from 2012 till now.

I think I will actually enjoy it for chicken and maybe ribs and use other smokers for brisket and pork butts that require more smoke.

If I don't enjoy it I might just gift to my brother-in-law because he would really enjoy having something like this.

Just picked it up :)
It is in great shape.
The only thing that is wrong is one of the welds on the hopper top hinge broke away from the hopper. Just looks like it pulled right through the metal that the hopper is made from. The old owner said that it was due to one of the hinges kind of seizing up and when he continue to rotate it it popped away from the hopper.

He even gave me a used Maverick that he says still works just perfectly because he bought a different unit with a guru. Also got a 40 pound bag of lumberjack pellets brand-new as well. :)

Score!!!!

He was a great guy also..Retired law enforcement. (Back the Blue)

87164A0E-1785-468B-92AF-FD35C09EC6F7_zpslx0sg2e8.jpg

DDD769B4-135E-4278-94DF-4F983E336B67_zpscuxgodip.jpg

CFDA8A66-1E9A-495D-8C41-CB7BEC998CE2_zpsuhi6iy0c.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked it up :)
It is in great shape.
The only thing that is wrong is one of the welds on the hopper top hinge broke away from the hopper. Just looks like it pulled right through the metal that the hopper is made from. The old owner said that it was due to one of the hinges kind of seizing up and when he continue to rotate it it popped away from the hopper.

He even gave me a used Maverick that he says still works just perfectly because he bought a different unit with a guru. Also got a 20 pound bag of lumberjack pellets brand-new as well. :)

Score!!!!

87164A0E-1785-468B-92AF-FD35C09EC6F7_zpslx0sg2e8.jpg

DDD769B4-135E-4278-94DF-4F983E336B67_zpscuxgodip.jpg

CFDA8A66-1E9A-495D-8C41-CB7BEC998CE2_zpsuhi6iy0c.jpg

Very nice...... You fgot a good deal. You'll love it. Take to a welding shop or bolt it together........ Looks to be in better shape than the picture..... I'd buy a used yoder before a new treager. I wouldn't care about any updates....

Dang David that Yoder looks new. The seller definitely took good care of it. I take care of my stuff too but I doubt one I had would look that good after 4 years.

Be careful unloading that thing.

:peep:

That's a well maintained Grill, congrats, that is a farkin score. :thumb:

I'm going to try and go look at the rust bucket I posted earlier on Thursday. Looks like the surf might be up this week with TD 9 pushing into the Gulf so it may have to wait.

That's a well maintained Grill, congrats, that is a farkin score. :thumb:

I'm going to try and go look at the rust bucket I posted earlier on Thursday. Looks like the surf might be up this week with TD 9 pushing into the Gulf so it may have to wait.

Good luck on that deal...Offer him less for sure. The paint can be touched up and make it look newish. Keep us posted

Good luck on that deal...Offer him less for sure. The paint can be touched up and make it look newish. Keep us posted
I've been communicating with a Brethren who has owned several Yoders and he told me to walk away. Oh well I've a wedding to go to in Oct and I'll be close to a BBQ Store that sells Backwoods and 270 Smokers I plan on coming home with an Insulated Cabinet, still want a Pellet Grill but I'll get one later unless something falls into my lap.

Looking forward to your impressions on the YS480 looks like it was really taken care of.

Congrats again.

Last edited:
I've been communicating with a Brethren who has owned several Yoders and he told me to walk away. Oh well I've got a wedding to got in Oct and I'll be close to a BBQ Store that sells Backwoods and 270 Smokers I plan on coming home with an Insulated Cabinet, still want a Pellet Grill but I'll get one later unless something falls into my lap.

Looking forward to your impressions on the YS480 looks like it was really taken care of.

Congrats again.

Thank you!! But now you have me interested in why he said that...About Yoder in general with pellets or just that one in general due to condition.

Thank you!! But now you have me interested in why he said that...About Yoder in general with pellets or just that one in general due to condition.
Just the condition of the grill and not so much the cosmetic rust but it being left out in the weather due to the electronics, looking at your grill I'd say you did quite well.

Just the condition of the grill and not so much the cosmetic rust but it being left out in the weather due to the electronics, looking at your grill I'd say you did quite well.

Oh okay...Yes, I think I did very well...Especially the Maverick and 40 lbs. of pellets he threw in.

Congrats on the new addition. Not paying shipping sure helps as well as the lower price for buying not new. I just bought one new a few months ago and am very happy with it. It does eat a lot of pellets!

A few observations from my experience so far: A real tank that puts out great food. You get steady thin blue smoke for low and slow smokes for sure. At higher temps, not so much, but still get some smoke flavor (can always supplement with A-Mazn pellet smoker).

The temps reported by Maverick and the custom controller typically vary a good bit esp. during mini-heat up / down cycles, but on average temps are consistent within 10 degrees once initial heat levels are established. Took getting used to. Really need to open lid at a bare minimum. Causes mini heat up / down cycles, though not sure if it matters much.

If you want to do high direct heat / good searing: The new two piece heat diffuser plate for direct heat / flames for high direct heat / searing works really well (has a 12 x 12 cut-out you can pull out vs removing entire diffuser plate).
Searing plates are defn. a good addition as well. Learning subtleties for reverse searing takes practice, but really pays off.

Oh, and get a side port to run Maverick wires through. Real convenient and makes for tighter lid fit.

Happy cooking!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new addition. Not paying shipping sure helps as well as the lower price for buying not new. I just bought one new a few months ago and am very happy with it. It does eat a lot of pellets!

A few observations from my experience so far: A real tank that puts out great food. You get steady thin blue smoke for low and slow smokes for sure. At higher temps, not so much, but still get some smoke flavor (can always supplement with A-Mazn pellet smoker).

The temps reported by Maverick and the custom controller typically vary a good bit esp. during mini-heat up / down cycles, but on average temps are consistent within 10 degrees once initial heat levels are established. Took getting used to. Really need to open lid at a bare minimum. Causes mini heat up / down cycles, though not sure if it matters much.

If you want to do high direct heat / good searing: The new two piece heat diffuser plate for direct heat / flames for high direct heat / searing works really well (has a 12 x 12 cut-out you can pull out vs removing entire diffuser plate).
Searing plates are defn. a good addition as well. Learning subtleties for reverse searing takes practice, but really pays off.

Oh, and get a side port to run Maverick wires through. Real convenient and makes for tighter lid fit.

Happy cooking!

Thank you Sir!! Yes, I think I got a "smokin" deal for sure. 2013 model w/ searing grates, a free Maverick, and a 40 lb. bag of lumberjack "blend" pellets for only $825!!! :becky:

Yes, next time I'll have more time and will start on lower temps for more smoke taste and then finish hotter.

Yes, when I was doing research and almost bought a new YS640, I saw the new heat shield with the door for searing. I may order one someday. I need to order their cover first though.

I do need to mod it for probe ports. What the best way to do that?

And yes, opening the door to sprits or just look / check on things does cause drastic heat changes.

Thanks for the reply.

Well due to having to rush them tonight - had a guest coming over. She enjoyed them :), they turned out fairly decent but not perfect. I had a bit too much salt in my rub. Never had a chance to wrap to get them really tender. But they still tasted good.

First cook on my Yoder YS480 was a success, I'd say. I have a lot to learn about it and how it cooks though.

A2562BDF-A0DD-41D8-86FD-428A3343E8FE_zpsse6kx6wb.jpg

E4C8B08D-94D5-496D-A593-66F1978EA701_zpssl5htv8k.jpg

3B56F38B-3C17-43D1-B757-C7EB04EA8A0E_zpsinzemi6i.jpg

F088A6AF-04EE-440B-B847-8DA2AA7B560E_zpswajddncu.jpg

ONLY SAUCED HALF OF THEM

EE75AACC-D096-400F-8E5E-E6D44D4A22A9_zps7rdnxp6m.jpg

EEAAC0F4-169F-43B6-87E6-E65CA9317677_zpscsgcxpb8.jpg

47F87DBA-91D7-4550-A87D-D66B79ED0096_zpslajncmgt.jpg

Yeah buddy! Good to see is smoking..er, well at least seeing it the food coming from it. Nice choice of beer:thumb: can't get it out here:mmph:

Yeah buddy! Good to see is smoking..er, well at least seeing it the food coming from it. Nice choice of beer:thumb: can't get it out here:mmph:

:becky:

Yeah, I decided on a whim today to run by the store and come try this thing out. Next time I'll make sure I have more time and do it better.

Yes, I love this beer but I usually don't buy the "Light". I bought it by mistake, but It's pretty good too!! Goes down EASY :)

More to come... I bought some chicken and a butt to do later this week.

Now I just need to find someone local to buy some more pellets with my wood preference...These were just a "blend", but I don't know what mix it is. I need something with a heavier smoke profile (Hickory, Oak, Mesquite).

Mighty good looking ribs there brother. You are on the way to making killer BBQ with the pellet pooper.

Mighty good looking ribs there brother. You are on the way to making killer BBQ with the pellet pooper.

I hope I can learn to do good pork butts and brisket on it and be fairly satisfied.

Either way I have my offset and my egg for now that I can use as well.

Hope I can still manage to keep the cabinet on order but as I explained last night in my text, 10 weeks of lost income hurt pretty bad .

Back