My Andouille Recipe / Process

Trailer Trash

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
ive been asked how I do Andoulli Sausage. Well here it goes...
Andouille Sausage
Boneless Pork Butt
Ground either (with 3/8" plate) or half w/ 3/8" and half w/ 1/2
or 3/4" to show fat texture in final product))

5 Lbs. Recipe;
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Garlic Powder
2 Tbs. Coarse Black Pepper
3 Tbs. Diamond Kosher Salt
2 tsp. Ground Thyme
2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne
1 tsp. Cure #1
1/4 Cup Powder Milk
1/2 Cup Red Wine
1/2 Cup Cold Water

- Grind, Mix, Refrigerate Overnight

- Stuff and Smoke @ 130°
I used a cheap electric plate in the firebox of my vertical cooker that is plugged into a Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit, Model 419. See below. By turning the stove on “Hi’ and setting the control unit at 130 degrees it turns the stove on and off as the temp probe that is placed into the smoke box reached the 130 degrees.
The smoke is produced with an “A-Maze-N” smoke generator (w/ oak pellets) that sits beside the electric stove in the firebox.

Once the sausage skin appears fairly dry, I pull the stove and “A-Maze-N” smoke generator out of the firebox, load it with lump charcoal and heat up to around 165 degrees with the aid of a “Guru Controller”.

- Raise Smoker Temp to 165° and Continue Until Sausage Reaches 155°.
(I accidently let the sausage temp get up to 172 degrees – It was fine)
- Rinse in Cold Water - Add Ice to Chill - Prevents Wrinkling
- Hang at Room Temperature to Bloom Until Desired Color (about 1 hour)
- Eat or Contain in Food Saver and Freeze
(this is now cooked and can be consumed without cooking or heated if preferred)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00368D6JA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/186-6522249-3021340?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=10G9409WQC2KSCPZ5CQ8&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_i=B0026NDC5O"]Amazon.com: Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GjllRgNGL.@@AMEPARAM@@51GjllRgNGL[/ame]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 272
Good to hear about different smoking techniques. I like how you did these.
And thanks for sharing that recipe, it looks like a keeper!

Looks great. Thank you for the recipe. Ill save it for the near future. I have just started looking into making sausage at home. That andouille looks like the real deal. I havent read many recipes yet, still getting the process down. I was surprised to see powdered milk. Does this have an impact on shelf life of the andouille?

Looks great. Thank you for the recipe. Ill save it for the near future. I have just started looking into making sausage at home. That andouille looks like the real deal. I havent read many recipes yet, still getting the process down. I was surprised to see powdered milk. Does this have an impact on shelf life of the andouille?

Drake,

From what I understand from reading all I can on sausage making, powdered milk is used as a "binding agent" to keep the meat together so it doesn't become crumbled and fall apart when you cut into the sausage. I don't believe it would impact the shelf life at all.

The Cure #1 will help keep the meat in the "safe zone" during the low temperature cooking process. Don't confuse the #1 Cure in this recipe with the #2 Cures that are used in the "Dry Sausages". They are two completely different cures used for two completely different needs.

I've wanted to make andouille because it's hard to find around here and if you do it's fresh and not smoked. Thanks for the post. I've got some motivation to give it a try.

Gerry that looks and sounds delicious, thanks for posting!
I make a lot of andouille using venison and pork. Love it in gumbo. :thumb:

powdered milk is used as a "binding agent"
That is true. Although the stuff Rytek uses is not the same as you buy in the store.
SausageMaker.com sells something called 'Soy Protein Concentrate' item #14100 $12.99.
It is a binder as well.
The non-fat dry milk from SM is item #126100.

Back