THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like it all turned out good! :thumb: I've never noticed a hot spot in my PBC but then again the way my yard is laid out I don't get a ton of wind.

Looks like it all turned out good! :thumb: I've never noticed a hot spot in my PBC but then again the way my yard is laid out I don't get a ton of wind.

I only noticed because these were relatively short cooks I think. Once the charcoal burns away from where I pour it out of the chimney the burn is much more even. I need to get a mini-chimney instead of trying to set myself on fire with the full size chimney. :crazy:

Sako, my wife isn't gonna let me hang out with you anymore if you aren't careful....lol
I like the looks of the Blackstone Pizza oven but I don't see how you get a good wood fired pizza taste.......isn't it just flames produced by gas that heats a stone? Not knocking it I just need more info. I should probably ask over in that thread.

Sorry for the hijack fellas.

Hey Andrew,

There is no way you will replicate a wood fired pizza unless you have the WFO but the BS hands down beats any other method I've tried. It is LP powered. Perfect for a weeknight meal. Assuming you have dough made up to a week in advance and frozen, or store bought dough, you come home fire the BS up which warms up for about 15 mins on average and by the time you shape your dough and make your pie it's ready. Toss it in, wait 3-5 mins and you're done. Beats most of the pizza parlor pies. I don't order pizza anymore if that tells you anything. You can even do Neapolitan pies which you have to cook at about 1000* for 45 to 60 seconds. This thing gets that high in temps.

Here's a Neapolitan 45 sec pie

20141201_212811.jpg

20141201_213200.jpg

20141201_212758.jpg

Some other pies

20141227_185246.jpg

20141227_185438.jpg

20141227_185613.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Sorry for the hijack fellas.

Hey Andrew,

There is no way you will replicate a wood fired pizza unless you have the WFO but the BS hands down beats any other method I've tried. It is LP powered. Perfect for a weeknight meal. Assuming you have dough made up to a week in advance and frozen, or store bought dough, you come home fire the BS up which warms up for about 15 mins on average and by the time you shape your dough and make your pie it's ready. Toss it in, wait 3-5 mins and you're done. Beats most of the pizza parlor pies. I don't order pizza anymore if that tells you anything. You can even do Neapolitan pies which you have to cook at about 1000* for 45 to 60 seconds. This thing gets that high in temps.

Ok you're gonna have to stop now! Before you end up costing me more money!.....:shocked:
Don't worry, I wouldn't say you hijacked the thread....I asked the question...lol. I did go over to the Blackstone thread and ask in there too though....:thumb:

I only noticed because these were relatively short cooks I think. Once the charcoal burns away from where I pour it out of the chimney the burn is much more even. I need to get a mini-chimney instead of trying to set myself on fire with the full size chimney. :crazy:

The mini chimney is great! But before I got one, I kept the coal basket outside the PBC, pour the hot coals in and used a heavy leather glove and grab the basket real quick and placed it inside the PBC. If you have welders gloves or a good set of leather BBQ gloves they will work.

You will notice on longer cooks that the fire will want to burn towards the intake. If you pour over the top and get it fairly even you will notice a more even burn.

The mini chimney is great! But before I got one, I kept the coal basket outside the PBC, pour the hot coals in and used a heavy leather glove and grab the basket real quick and placed it inside the PBC. If you have welders gloves or a good set of leather BBQ gloves they will work.

You will notice on longer cooks that the fire will want to burn towards the intake. If you pour over the top and get it fairly even you will notice a more even burn.

ever tried making a hole in the opposite side of the intake and pouring lit coals in there ?

Ok you're gonna have to stop now! Before you end up costing me more money!.....:shocked:
Don't worry, I wouldn't say you hijacked the thread....I asked the question...lol. I did go over to the Blackstone thread and ask in there too though....:thumb:

I must've missed the BS thread since I was MIA this past weekend. Anyway, you get the pic. :thumb:

no I haven't but I might get a chance to one day this week, if I do I will post results here. if you get a chance to try it post your results please

Yeah I will. But it'll be a while. This weekend I'm going to my in-laws and cooking 3 racks of spares. I'm not gonna experiment when cooking for someone else...lol.

Oh I'm gonna make a smoked bourbon pecan pie too. Not sure yet if it'll be a PBC cook or not but I'm leaning towards it. I bought some pecan wood to smoke it with. It'll be a hot and fast cook though cooking at 350°.

no I haven't but I might get a chance to one day this week, if I do I will post results here. if you get a chance to try it post your results please

What is the benefit to adding a hole for that purpose? I've gone 8 hours several times with a standard fill of the basket before needing to add more coals.

What is the benefit to adding a hole for that purpose? I've gone 8 hours several times with a standard fill of the basket before needing to add more coals.

well we're not sure if there would be any benefit ( that's what we're wanting to find out ) ... and as for the hole that is from where you remove the coal to lite the chimney and then re insert when the coal is ready, another form of a minion method...

BTW I actually have a cook going right now with above method, I think this may be the most even burn pattern... I peeked in about 2 hrs into the cook and it looked like the coal on the bottom had lit clear across to the vent side while the coal on top had not lit yet.... then when IT Hit 165 I was ready to wrap and noticed when i looked in the barrel the top coals had lit and it looked like a perfect burn pattern in the fire basket .... I lit 40 coals let them ride in the chimney 20 minutes then dumped and into the pit barrel lid on rebar's out and let it ride another 20 before adding the pork butt. after that 1 rebar only butt hanging.... I have no way of knowing but I think the pit barrel was running hotter than normal because of the way the bark was setting on the meat very quickly... currently riding on the grate now both rebar's in temp was 173 last I looked everything seems good..... I will post back later

Not really any benefit that we know of. We were discussing the burn pattern in the PBC which appears to burn towards the intake. I've tried pouring the coals over the top like suggested in the directions and making a hole in the center and pouring the lit coals in the center. When you pour over the top you will notice more coals tend to be lit towards the intake but it's fairly consistent. When I made a hole in the center I noticed a very distinct burn towards the intake and the opposite side was not burning. I had to rotate my basket.
Twisted noticed the same sort of burn pattern and we were discussing if we poured the lit coals on the opposite side of the basket would it create an even burn pattern towards the intake. From what I'm reading in his attempt it looks like that's what's happening.

Not really any benefit that we know of. We were discussing the burn pattern in the PBC which appears to burn towards the intake. I've tried pouring the coals over the top like suggested in the directions and making a hole in the center and pouring the lit coals in the center. When you pour over the top you will notice more coals tend to be lit towards the intake but it's fairly consistent. When I made a hole in the center I noticed a very distinct burn towards the intake and the opposite side was not burning. I had to rotate my basket.
Twisted noticed the same sort of burn pattern and we were discussing if we poured the lit coals on the opposite side of the basket would it create an even burn pattern towards the intake. From what I'm reading in his attempt it looks like that's what's happening.

Ok I get it now. Sorry, little dense up there. It stands to reason that the coals will burn towards the intake since it is receiving the oxygen first, so to speak?

Ok I get it now. Sorry, little dense up there. It stands to reason that the coals will burn towards the intake since it is receiving the oxygen first, so to speak?

Yes, at least that makes since to me. That's why I wanted to try the side to side burn. Starting opposite the intake. Twisted beat me to it...lol. :thumb:

Yes, at least that makes since to me. That's why I wanted to try the side to side burn. Starting opposite the intake. Twisted beat me to it...lol. :thumb:

I come in peace:becky:

Not sure i caught the whole burn pattern debate but i can share what i do. I typically light my fire at the intake or around there and my burn goes straight across. When i'm done on a short burn there will be all the un burnt in a nice little line.

I come in peace:becky:

Not sure i caught the whole burn pattern debate but i can share what i do. I typically light my fire at the intake or around there and my burn goes straight across. When i'm done on a short burn there will be all the un burnt in a nice little line.

We were discussing the typical burn pattern in the PBC and how the fire burns towards the intake. Twisted is running an experiment trying a side to side burn starting the coals opposite the intake .

Back