THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

:becky:

This is what the basket looks like after the smoke. I put about 5 lit briqs in the middle to give you an idea on the burn pattern.

Perfect amount of smoke flavor and I danced the first taste test. :thumb: Nothing like homemade bacon. Doesn't compare. Slicing some now for BLT's. It's nearing 10pm but BLT's sounds good right about now. :clap2:

0JbWdxcP09KvzTGinEaJp1xZrI3FHLsIZoo98i4whN4=w1744-h981-no

788g-0Dz7gsN6k1VYPYvQZvUQMPfluthqe4OlRyQzf0=w1744-h981-no
Very nice!

Hey Sako, that wasn't a full coal basket was it? You got a good even burn going there. How long did you smoke the bacon? Did the temp stay at 150-170 pretty easily?

Going to smoke some beef short ribs today. Another new meat for me on the PBC. I've done them on the WSM and they were fantastic, so I'm interested to see how they turn out on the PBC.

Going to smoke some beef short ribs today. Another new meat for me on the PBC. I've done them on the WSM and they were fantastic, so I'm interested to see how they turn out on the PBC.

I'm interested in hearing how the short ribs turn out too.

I'm doing 3 racks of spares right now. I smoked a bourbon pecan pie yesterday. It smells great. We will eat it today. I'll post pics and let you know how it tasted later.

OK folks, here's a bourbon pecan pie the recipe is courtesy of Curt McAdams via Peeps. It tastes pretty good especially if you like bourbon. I have to say my kiddos didn't care for it because they could taste the bourbon flavor. It's very sweet too. I still recommend you guys give it a try. The PBC did a fine job cooking it. :thumb:

Attachments

OK folks, here's a bourbon pecan pie the recipe is courtesy of Curt McAdams via Peeps. It tastes pretty good especially if you like bourbon. I have to say my kiddos didn't care for it because they could taste the bourbon flavor. It's very sweet too. I still recommend you guys give it a try. The PBC did a fine job cooking it. :thumb:

That looks really awesome Andrew!

Grassfed beef short ribs on the PBC were a success. I used olive oil with Plowboys Bovine Bold and McCormick Worchestershire Pub Burger (love it on beef) for the rub.

Used 3/4 beech wood chips mixed with 1/4 Jack Daniels oak chips. Cooked on the grate for 2 hrs, pan and foiled for 2.5 hrs with broth, then finished up for the last hour on the grate.

Flavor was fantastic. Better than the WSM even (gasp!). Only thing I would change is more time on the grate, less in the pan. Some of the fat could've been rendered a bit more, which would've been remedied by more time out of the pan/foil. I was paranoid about getting too much smoke, but it could've taken another 60-90 minutes and not have been over smoked.

I will be doing beef ribs on the PBC again, and my wife agreed. Paired it with Illinois sweet corn, homemade mashed potatoes, and an Old Speckled Hen nitro. :grin:

Attachments

They pie looks like grandma's....Just wondering if it picks up much of the smoke flavor ?

They pie looks like grandma's....Just wondering if it picks up much of the smoke flavor ?

Thanks! I couldn't really taste much smoke flavor but my wife and her cousin said they could. It definitely had a good smokey smell. I'll call it a mild smoked taste. I used pecan chunks, pecan seemed fitting...lol.

By the way, here's a link to the recipe. Only thing I changed is I used vanilla extract instead of paste and I used a store bought pie shell. Everything else was per the recipe.
http://livefireonline.com/2014/11/24/livefire-thanksgiving-blitz-day-3/

Did pulled pork and chicken this weekend. It's crazy how consistent this cooker is. I believe my quality has increased since my maverick broke and I'm basically flying blind on temp. Birds are always 2 hours. The pork was 4 to 160, and 2 more once wrapped.

Next time I'm gonna try for no wrapping and give myself a few extra hours.

Grassfed beef short ribs on the PBC were a success. I used olive oil with Plowboys Bovine Bold and McCormick Worchestershire Pub Burger (love it on beef) for the rub.

Used 3/4 beech wood chips mixed with 1/4 Jack Daniels oak chips. Cooked on the grate for 2 hrs, pan and foiled for 2.5 hrs with broth, then finished up for the last hour on the grate.

Flavor was fantastic. Better than the WSM even (gasp!). Only thing I would change is more time on the grate, less in the pan. Some of the fat could've been rendered a bit more, which would've been remedied by more time out of the pan/foil. I was paranoid about getting too much smoke, but it could've taken another 60-90 minutes and not have been over smoked.

I will be doing beef ribs on the PBC again, and my wife agreed. Paired it with Illinois sweet corn, homemade mashed potatoes, and an Old Speckled Hen nitro. :grin:

I'd eat that for breakfast !!:-D

Did pulled pork and chicken this weekend. It's crazy how consistent this cooker is. I believe my quality has increased since my maverick broke and I'm basically flying blind on temp. Birds are always 2 hours. The pork was 4 to 160, and 2 more once wrapped.

Next time I'm gonna try for no wrapping and give myself a few extra hours.

Thats funny...I agree 100 % . Mine has got better to since I learned to get a hot fire to start and quit worrying about pit temp.

Hey Sako, that wasn't a full coal basket was it? You got a good even burn going there. How long did you smoke the bacon? Did the temp stay at 150-170 pretty easily?

Hey Andrew,

The basket was about 1/3 filled. I lit 5 briqs and placed them dead smack in the middle of the unlit coals which burned outward nice and even as I had anticipated. The temps climbed up 190ish at one point so I closed the intake and choked it down. Naturally you there was a little tending in the process because of using the unit for something that it's not designed for but not much at all.

PS Bacon smoked for a bit over 5 hours to 150*IT.

I'd buy one Andrew. Looks awesome! :thumb:

Back