THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LIke this?

Yes. I remember talking to you about it a while back. When I started noticing the burn pattern being towards the intake I thought maybe a side to side burn would make for a more even burn in the PBC. I figured start at the opposite side of the intake. Twisted is trying it now and indicated he thought his temperature was hotter probably because the fire wants to move towards the oxygen. I guess an adjustment to the vent cap could be necessary for those of us who monitor temps. :becky:
It's just an experiment he and I were discussing and he decided to give it a run tonight.

Last edited:
Ok fellers! Change of course for the thread.

I cured some bacon and wanted to smoke it in the LSG but it's kind of cloudy (rainish) so PBC was called for duty. I've done it before and this is a repetition but we've got a lot of new PBC guys and I want to demonstrate again how versatile the PBC is.

Leftover oak/mesquite lump from the last cook, Trader Joe's all natural briqs and cherry chunk leftovers. Mind you that I've never used briqs for smoking bacon before but I like to experiment. :becky:

fFJpCqt6MNsIBHK2ClmavPJJZ74wmamnSxYX0mOrl_4=w1744-h981-no

About 4-5 lit briqs on top and my makeshift wire rack for the KJ deflector

F-fnV6bHJWZRrjiYN5It_HgLMmcIMy_kUM-7Re8paSw=w1744-h981-no

KJ (Kamado Joe) deflector

aZSzqM2o4mipCyubxQ_MP-3r_Bcu2RXV_HyxKqpKMs4=w1744-h981-no

Maverick in place for temp readings

dAVeVO-kQs1ch6JmPzIq8Hk7szYckMOVLhCny2dUI5A=w1744-h981-no

Bacon hooked, temp was about right to hang the slabs. Temp will gradually rise to 150-170*target. Oh yeah, pour yourself a drink right about now. :becky:

oXfLQKAHgZ_9liWgNK6qBnUKcW9iNjeqjrt8fGHecyM=w1744-h981-no

Nice amount of smoke going and they're were hung

2XRXMfhfbQXEuBqEaDqN3dHiRO9M-b9aYAaBPZnHv0M=w1744-h981-no

Stay Tuned!!!!

While waiting for that delicious bacon....mmm.

How long have people cooked bacon wrapped poppers on the PBC? I'm guessing just long enough to cook the bacon. Rods in? out? Hung with tiny hooks?

While waiting for that delicious bacon....mmm.

How long have people cooked bacon wrapped poppers on the PBC? I'm guessing just long enough to cook the bacon. Rods in? out? Hung with tiny hooks?

Some people cook them on the grate, some use skewers and hang them. Cook until the bacon is how you like it. How long depends on the temp. I'd say about an hour in the PBC. As far as the rods in or out, that depends on how hot you want the PBC to get. An estimate would be rods in = roughly 300°, both rods out = roughly 350°.

I go overkill compared to most here on the thermometer side.

Maverick 733 so I can sit inside my air conditioned sun room and track the temp of the PBC and the meat. Party Q controller for set and forget.

Love OverKill! :clap:

How is your Party Q connected to the PBC?
You're using an adapter I assume?

I use the Maverick et-733. I bent one of the clips so I can hang a probe from one of my rebar.

Yeah I wouldn't have thought 2 briqs would matter either but after about 3-4 cooks hitting 245-250ish I decided to add 2 more briquettes and presto, temps climbed to 270-280. I target 275 so that's perfect for me. Of course if you open the lid a lot the temp will climb. I usually just block the intake about half way for 10-15 minutes and it'll drop back down.

I ordered an ET 732 through an Amazing Ribs link to Amazon, an additional meat probe, and Thermopop thermometer via the OEM. I am very curious about the Party Q on the PBC. :loco:.

BTW, my second cook with St. Louis Ribs and Butt, turned out great.
Butt 7.5hrs
St Louis Ribs 4.5hrs, hung whole.

I beleive taking all briqs to full ash coat and adding wood chunks was the ticket.

I ordered an ET 732 through an Amazing Ribs link to Amazon, an additional meat probe, and Thermopop thermometer via the OEM. I am very curious about the Party Q on the PBC. :loco:.

BTW, my second cook with St. Louis Ribs and Butt, turned out great.
Butt 7.5hrs
St Louis Ribs 4.5hrs, hung whole.

I beleive taking all briqs to full ash coat and adding wood chunks was the ticket.

Glad it worked out! BTW, how many lit briquettes did you start with?

How'd it turn out Twisted?

turned out great man, I am thinking this will be the way I do it from here on out. I will do a few more runs to make sure though... the next time you fire up the pbc try it and let me know if you like it as much as me.... I do have to say this though the pbc has always turned out great food for me and has always been very fuel conservative and very consistent regardless of how i have set it up to run I just think this new way ( lit coals opposite of the intake) may be the best

turned out great man, I am thinking this will be the way I do it from here on out. I will do a few more runs to make sure though... the next time you fire up the pbc try it and let me know if you like it as much as me.... I do have to say this though the pbc has always turned out great food for me and has always been very fuel conservative and very consistent regardless of how i have set it up to run I just think this new way ( lit coals opposite of the intake) may be the best

Cool! I won't be trying it next time because, again, I'll be cooking for my in-laws. Buy on my next cook at home I'm definitely gonna run the side to side burn. Thanks for the report!:thumb:

TEASE! :tsk:

:becky:

:becky:

This is what the basket looks like after the smoke. I put about 5 lit briqs in the middle to give you an idea on the burn pattern.

Perfect amount of smoke flavor and I danced the first taste test. :thumb: Nothing like homemade bacon. Doesn't compare. Slicing some now for BLT's. It's nearing 10pm but BLT's sounds good right about now. :clap2:

0JbWdxcP09KvzTGinEaJp1xZrI3FHLsIZoo98i4whN4=w1744-h981-no

788g-0Dz7gsN6k1VYPYvQZvUQMPfluthqe4OlRyQzf0=w1744-h981-no

Done-PBC delivers again (of course)

Q23a5bp_bSRh0dzRGs6T01BcQ6E1EyaC2dbx2WxFPe0=w1744-h981-no

Thick cut

MHMzrzi2kmdgtimvSWsqclszNyT499PzF6icMyIN0T8=w1744-h981-no

Vacuum packed

lsunuYd6YgItw8HOxwzhsychq1zUutLQCGJtJAhikMQ=w1744-h981-no

BLT time

FHno2Onfni35U8AwhrSozKszlbJYDn992nqQVtB1HiY=w1744-h981-no

Leftover end piece nuggets

gyQE5U1hUzGXKuMdjIJIb1kbP_MsPVvh00hcyiWE9Gw=w1744-h981-no

Brown sugared

Gof1Ej0wLfzyxwVPNseeZ_DSWd81ODKJCQCIvRgrvVk=w1744-h981-no

Sandwich one

IrE_XKpJxMXIMROl_F9ghGKiI8c54IjpIJ2ehddBUXc=w1744-h981-no

UsZbpwUw1Zjzmo5H5rzhPMaJaFooD8OKLgxah9zVm7s=w1744-h981-no

Sandwich two with nuggets for daddy

TgeWsPEARcBBircSYvoglsnGE6sH5sJQuHlT4hy2Ax0=w1744-h981-no

Dd4ufOZiD4LYDXUFBmm2fLthNOx8S_ULb-dqu8UwCcY=w1744-h981-no

Killer stuff!

Man that looks good! You have to be the only person to ever smoke bacon in a PBC!
Awesome! :thumb:

Sako I should of known you were going to torture me with a BLT! :tsk: Ugh I gotta leave the house with no breakfast with this burned in my brain! LOL

I've seen plenty of bacon smoked in drums like you did and that looks as good or better than any of them. Nice job

Back