Best gloves?

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What are everyone's recommendation for BBQ gloves. I have gone through several pairs through the years, but I'm looking for a good food safe insulated glove that I can handle my meat with. If they could double as fire management gloves that would be great. So far I have used.

Thick leather welding/bbq gloves. Good for grabbing hot coals, firely logs and general fire management. The down side is that they are not really food safe and tend to get really stiff over time.

PVC lined gloves. Good for grabbing food, not so much for hot coals (have melted a pair). The biggest issue I have found is that the liner tends to pull out of the fingers after a few uses / washes, which makes them nearly impossible to use.

PVC unlined gloves. OK for grabbing food, no liner to pull out but not as much heat protection.

Any specific brand recommendations? There are a thousand options on amazon. I've looked into the "Hot Glove" style. The ones that look like a thick knit w/ silicon grippers. My question is how food safe are they and do they wash well?

Thanks,

I use 2 different pairs.

1 Silicone food safe pair for food, also good for canning. Boiling water and what not.
1 pair of elbow high leather gloves for moving hot things.

I have the Ove Gloves. Yes, thick knit with silicone grippers. They are not food safe, can't use with raw meats because of the knit fabric. They wash well but drying is the problem. The heat safe lining takes forever to dry. I have dried them in 3 rounds in the dryer and they still took nearly a week longer to fully air dry.

I have the Ove Gloves. Yes, thick knit with silicone grippers. They are not food safe, can't use with raw meats because of the knit fabric. They wash well but drying is the problem. The heat safe lining takes forever to dry. I have dried them in 3 rounds in the dryer and they still took nearly a week longer to fully air dry.

That's good to know! I have a pair that needs a bath, but had been hesitant to do so.

I use nitrile gloves to prep my food and a pair of silicon gloves, similar to the ones above for cooking. They are NSF approved and handle hot meat very well. Then a pair of welding gloves for handling wood and other hot things.

Steve Raichlen $7.39. http://www.target.com/p/steve-raich...gclid=CIL8h7jizNACFYg7gQodE0YCUQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I love mine

For taking hot meat in and out of the pit I use these.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

^ +1.... I also use these for food only... I keep my food gloves clean at all times.

For fire management or moving shelves I use a pair of long welders gloves.

And as Ron also mentioned, an extra-large nitrile glove over cotton gloves gives you insulation from heat as well as clean gloves to handle the food.

I use the same hi temp grey gloves posted above for handling meat. Typically when I'm pulling I have one hi temp and one nitrile on and that seems to work pretty well.

I also have a pair of the rubber coated cotton work gloves for handling grill parts when they aren't hot. Keeps all the grease off of me when cleaning the pit.

I use fire fighting gloves for the hot stuff, they work better than welding gloves. I have those too. I used to be a volunteer fire fighter and have my old ones.

Did anyone catch the Raichlen food gloves for under $7.50?? Post #8

I have the Raichlen gloves. They work great for food handling, but get very slick and are hard to remove at times.

Now that you mention it... that's true! If they were a tad less slick. They do wash up nicely.

hey ron thanks for the heads up on the gloves. ordered a pair and some grand champion rub, now i have to work some ot to pay for it. real nice of ya :twitch:

These are what I use. They are easy to find locally, too.
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-167L-Heavyweight-Gauntlet/dp/B000BZ8K4M"]Wells Lamont Work Gloves with Gauntlet Cuff and Cotton Fleece Lining, PVC Coated, Heavyweight, Large, Green (167L) - Work Gloves - Amazon.com[/ame]
They are not for handling coals, but work for everything else I need to do.

Back