Franklin BBQ 24hr....

Anybody else notice...I think they wrapped the brisky after 9 hours and it was still cooking after 14 hours. It didn't really show when they pulled it...or how they held it after cooking and before serving. I am guessing cook for 16-18 hours total..then hold for 6-8 hours. Or they could have been pulling at the 14 hour mark and holding for 10-12.

Just made me go hmmm?

Thanks for posting that!

If he cooks at 275° like he says he must have a loooong hold time on the big meats...

Gee whiz fellas. You mind keeping it down. Wouldn't want to give away the secret now.

Probably will fall on deaf ears anyway. most round here use a method that takes under 8 hours. Hrmph!? I hold mine longer than that.

Gee whiz fellas. You mind keeping it down. Wouldn't want to give away the secret now.

Probably will fall on deaf ears anyway. most round here use a method that takes under 8 hours. Hrmph!? I hold mine longer than that.

I get forced into long holds sometimes and 12 hours doesn't do anything except help.

Very cool video. Amazing the amount of work it takes to make it run so well. I was traveling through Texas this past summer and went about 250 miles out of my way to hit Lockhart for some bbq. Unfortunately I was not in a position to wait in line at Franklin, so I went to Kreuz market (and saw all the other ones there as well...all seem to be within about 1-2 miles of each other). Cool little town that is bbq capital of Texas (maybe the country)

Thanks for posting that!

If he cooks at 275° like he says he must have a loooong hold time on the big meats...

Anybody else notice...I think they wrapped the brisky after 9 hours and it was still cooking after 14 hours. It didn't really show when they pulled it...or how they held it after cooking and before serving. I am guessing cook for 16-18 hours total..then hold for 6-8 hours. Or they could have been pulling at the 14 hour mark and holding for 10-12.

Just made me go hmmm?

I get forced into long holds sometimes and 12 hours doesn't do anything except help.

Didn't someone post here a while back showing where Franklin put in his book his brisket cook / serve schedule???? Showing that he probably holds / rest for 11-12 hours before serving???

How the heck do you cook a brisket at 275* plus for over 12 hours and not over cook / dry it out?? Mine never seem to take that long. Maybe it's due to the PRIME meat he uses... That must be it.

I really need to buy some butcher paper too to try.

Just made me go hmmm?

Didn't someone post here a while back showing where Franklin put in his book his brisket cook / serve schedule???? Showing that he probably holds / rest for 11-12 hours before serving???

How the heck do you cook a brisket at 275* plus for over 12 hours and not over cook / dry it out?? Mine never seem to take that long. Maybe it's due to the PRIME meat he uses... That must be it.

If you look at his smokers they only have 2 thermometers on them. I'm sure there is some grate temperature variance from one side to the other. The size of the smoker + the amount of meat in the cooker leads to longer cook times. I personally want to see the drop in temperature along with how long it takes to recover when they add all the briskets into a cooker.

Also from all the pictures and videos of the smokers. They open all the doors to the cooker when doing the spritzing and wrapping. This will slow down the cook considerably because of the recovery time.

When I read his book I kept adding 2+2 and coming up with 5, you can't go by his time line and cook at the temps he says he cooks at and get the results he obviously gets.

Unless it's like Ren said and the recovery time (which has to be long) is taken into account.

Me personally? I think he talks in circles and never connects the ends. That being said, if I were him I wouldn't either.

If you look at his smokers they only have 2 thermometers on them. I'm sure there is some grate temperature variance from one side to the other. The size of the smoker + the amount of meat in the cooker leads to longer cook times. I personally want to see the drop in temperature along with how long it takes to recover when they add all the briskets into a cooker.

Also from all the pictures and videos of the smokers. They open all the doors to the cooker when doing the spritzing and wrapping. This will slow down the cook considerably because of the recovery time.

very true! I wasn't thinking about that. Huge smoker plus open doors for spritzing, will prolong things.

This works for me. I cook 275 then drop down. When its "done" ill hold all day until dinner. My average cook starts at 8pm for a 4pm service the next day. It sounds long but i have under 8 hrs active time.

My brisket would be considered over tender having to slice thick to hold together but it is not dry.

I think awwa hit a good point. The mass in the cooker and opening has a way of making it take longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start closer to 325. Once you add that much meat temps drop like a rock.

Do you hold it in a warm oven, or will it hold that long in a cooler wrapped in towels? I thought the max there was 4-5 hours.

This works for me. I cook 275 then drop down. When its "done" ill hold all day until dinner. My average cook starts at 8pm for a 4pm service the next day. It sounds long but i have under 8 hrs active time.

My brisket would be considered over tender having to slice thick to hold together but it is not dry.

I think awwa hit a good point. The mass in the cooker and opening has a way of making it take longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start closer to 325. Once you add that much meat temps drop like a rock.

I am a fan of long rest / holds as well. I usually try to rest for 4-8 hours if I have time as well. Briskets and Butts.

I rest / hold in a cooler with towels over it and will sometimes just rest hold in the oven set at 170* until ready to serve.

I just need to try some butcher paper instead of foil soon...

But again, I would say his meat quality vs. what I buy / cook would make a difference I what I saw / see in his vids....When he's slicing and it's just running with juices / fat in every slice...I bet that's like the best taste ever... I'm going to buy a Prime or Wagyu someday and truly see how much better it is.

When I read his book I kept adding 2+2 and coming up with 5, you can't go by his time line and cook at the temps he says he cooks at and get the results he obviously gets.

Unless it's like Ren said and the recovery time (which has to be long) is taken into account.

Me personally? I think he talks in circles and never connects the ends. That being said, if I were him I wouldn't either.

I think he doesn't give out everything, but I think he gives out most things. I do think that a lot of us backyarders can't fathom it because we aren't cooking on the scale that Franklins BBQ puts out. Cookers that big and that much meat will make a things act differently.

I am sitting here just wondering what the cooking environment is like in the cooker. Even though his stacks are at great level, the top of the chamber would be hotter than the grate. Add in the meat temperature and the moisture content coming off the meat, I am wondering what the temperature is just below the grate.

I would love to just sit in the smokehouse for a week with a bunch of remote thermometers and hygrometers to kind of see how the cooking environment changes depending on what stage of cooking they are in.

I think he doesn't give out everything, but I think he gives out most things. I do think that a lot of us backyarders can't fathom it because we aren't cooking on the scale that Franklins BBQ puts out. Cookers that big and that much meat will make a things act differently.

I am sitting here just wondering what the cooking environment is like in the cooker. Even though his stacks are at great level, the top of the chamber would be hotter than the grate. Add in the meat temperature and the moisture content coming off the meat, I am wondering what the temperature is just below the grate.

I would love to just sit in the smokehouse for a week with a bunch of remote thermometers and hygrometers to kind of see how the cooking environment changes depending on what stage of cooking they are in.

He's always said in his vids that his cookers are "mostly top heat", hence cooking fat cap up.

I agree...It would be nice to have multiple probes all around the cook chamber in my offset to see where the heat really is.

In the book he states he doesn't start higher than 275 and drop down, I believe he says that makes him nervous because he's not sure he'll be able to get the temperature back down in a timely manner. He will however, start at 275 and move up if needed. He also says that when the thermometer reads 275, it's likely to be 285 at the grate.

Back