THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on commercially available rubs. For the past 10 years I have been making all my own rubs, and now wonder if I'm missing out on something. Most people love my rubs and offer compliments, I just wonder if the store bought stuff could be that much better. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Try some of the ones that some of the Bretheren sell. Try a few and see how you like them. Plowboys, Simply Marvelous, The Rub Co, Todds dirt, just to name a few

I'm new to the forum and haven't tried any of the Brethern's rubs (intend to soon) but I did find one commercial rub that I like. It's Grill Mate's Sweet Smokey rub. WalMart has it. I know, I know, WalMart, you've got to be kidding me right? I make my own rubs too but lately, that one has been getting me some high praise on pork. Not for beef for sure. Give it a try, you might be surprised. Hope that helps.
:)
Randy

Devious, I have never bought and of the Brethren product, but I would definitely love to support their ventures in any way. What do you feel is the best way to purchase these products. I see that Great Lakes BBQ re-sales all the rubs mentioned.

I just bought some Plowboys Bovine Bold and Yardbird and some Spicewine Heffer Dust from Greatlakes bbq. Service was great. I tried the Bold on some burgers(of all things) last night and really liked it.

Used Bovine Bold on chuck roll & Yardbird on spareribs & pork butts last weekend. Off the hook. I make my own rubs too, but when you're short on time it's real easy to order a sack.

Just picked up some Plowboys Bovine Gold and Yardbird at Bass Pro Shop yesterday, can't wait to try them out this weekend. Both taste great dry.

this! --->
gdcom_2111_393130872

I use both home made and store bought, they are all different. I also vote for Simply Marvelous, Plowboy's, Todd's Dirt, The Rub Co. and Dizzy Pig is a new one I like.

Back