First pork butt tomorrow

coredumped

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'll be doing my first pork butt tomorrow. My wife signed us up to cook dinner for the neighbors who recently had a baby.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to cook, but Cash and Carry had 2 packs of pork butts and I want to give my two-week-old YS640 a good shakedown.

I'm only planning on making one, though I don't know what I'll do with the second. How long do pork butts hold in a fridge? Maybe I'll make one for us and one for the neighbors.

Rub tonight, and then on the Yoder at 5am tomorrow.

I've seen so many opinions: should I bother to cut the fat cap off? I figure for my first pork butts, no, keep it simple.

hqRHjJqiFBPP3tBR-Ez7rHwgH34duDJSr0tES2vfTk0=w800-h1378-no

I'd cook them both. Pulled pork will hold for a week or more in the fridge. If you don't think you'll eat it in that time, it freezes really well too.

Nice gesture cooking for the neighbors. They'll appreciate it.

Good luck with the pork butt cook. I now always cook 2 whenever I do pork butts. The one I have available does not last long at all. The other I portion off in sandwich freezer bags and freeze them to have when the only thing needed in life is a good pulled pork sammy topped with kimchi and a fried egg.

Again, good luck, the neighbors are going to love it.

Haha, I had to peek to put the thermometer in. :laugh:

I'm almost 6 hours in and at 144 internal.
Cooker was around 225 for the first 4 hours, but then I bumped it up to 250ish.

So I usually get twin packs like that from Costco. 1 I use for pulled pork. The other I will use some for ground pork (I mix with beef for burgers or use in egg rolls).

Or we will also slice it thin to make a Vietnamese dish call Thit Nuong

Basically you slice it thin and marinade it over night in:

1/4 cup sugar
3 TBSP honey
3 TBSP Fish sauce
1 TBSP sesame oil
1/2 TBSP canola oil
4 minced shallots
5-6 minced garlic cloves
5-6 minced stalks of lemon grass
3 TBSP sesame seeds (optional)
1 TBSP salt
1 TBSP ground pepper

This is my moms recipe but every time we make I've never seen her measure any of it. You just go by final taste

Then just grill over high heat. We usually serve it on a bed of Vermicelli noodles, lettuce and bean sprouts. Or you can make it into a sandwich.

We are making it this sunday so I'll post pics.

Last edited:
Mmm, I love Thit Nuong, I didn't realize it was made from pork shoulder.

Currently at 10:30 into the cook, internal temp is 192F.

I rubbed it down with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.

Mmm, I love Thit Nuong, I didn't realize it was made from pork shoulder.

Currently at 10:30 into the cook, internal temp is 192F.

I rubbed it down with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.

Some people make it from pork loin. I prefer the shoulder because more fat. Man your pork looks great! Great job on your first butt!

Back