My last try at Texas style brisket

Winner, winner brisket dinner! Excellent smoke ring and perfect bend test, Enrico. :clap:

Looks awesome! I would like to ask for your advice. The last brisket I smoked, I placed the temp probe in the thickest part of the flat. I pulled the brisket off at 203 degrees (foiled). I let the brisket vent 15 minutes, wrapped in towels and put in the cooler for 3 hours. The point was chewy and the flat was nothing special. I am wondering if temperature is more a guideline, that this particular brisket should have come off the smoker at a higher temperature and if so, how do I know when it should come off the smoker? Thanks for any suggestions.

In my very little brisket experience I have understood that every piece of meat is done at different T.
So for me the red alarm (probe test moment) start at 195F.
From that moment on I start probing for donedess every 30 minutes at 275F.
About probe test "like hot knife through warm butter" I must say I have got much better brisket pulling them off the smoker EARLIER than that moment (before the probe goes in like hot knife through warm butter).
If I wait for that moment (no resistence in the thickest part of the flat and in the point too) + venting + resting, I have got always a dry and crumble brisket.
In my experience there is some "hardiness"
But this is just my .000002 cents.

Brisket looks great! Thank you for sharing the pics and the details. Much appreciated!

I've also stopped wrapping most things lately. Do you like the unwrapped brisket better than wrapped?

Also, did the foil wrapping after the cook affect the bark at all?

Lastly, why foil over butcher paper?

Not at all challenging what you did. Looks amazing! Just curious as it seems you're on the same quest as me to get better at Texas-style brisket.

I do prefer naked brisket.
I use to double foil my brisket (after some venting ) + double blanket. And no bad effect on my bark.
Once or twice I foiled over BP. What I understood was that a ton of moistness were absorbed by paper. So, now, I just use foil.

To me temp is just a starting point and I start looking at 199/200. It is a feel thing where you probe tender but also when you pick it up it should feel like it will break in two if you don;t hold it with two hands. Hard to describe but that is what I check for. If it is not limber then it is not done.

S U C C E S S, that's the way we spell...

brisket!

Nice work!

Beeeeeutiful Enrico !!!

Nailed it my friend, great job.

Looks good... I'm currently waiting on mine to be probe tender. It's foiled and in the oven after pulling it off the smoker. Hope mine turns out that well.

That looks delicious!! I trust you meant that was your "most recent brisket" and hopefully not your " last brisket".

That is a fine looking brisket! Bravo.

Looks awesome! I would like to ask for your advice. The last brisket I smoked, I placed the temp probe in the thickest part of the flat. I pulled the brisket off at 203 degrees (foiled). I let the brisket vent 15 minutes, wrapped in towels and put in the cooler for 3 hours. The point was chewy and the flat was nothing special. I am wondering if temperature is more a guideline, that this particular brisket should have come off the smoker at a higher temperature and if so, how do I know when it should come off the smoker? Thanks for any suggestions.

Brisket is 100% about the feel. Temp is nothing more than a guide. You should be able to slide a temp probe into the meat like butter. If there is any resistance as you slide in the probe...let it keep cooking.

Awesome looking brisket Enrico. :clap2: colour looks great.

Back