First pizza fail

ironbrew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, I've been desperate to try a pizza on the Joe. So...

Darn pics aren't working on the iPhone to brethren...

Long story short. Issues with temps (ambient is -7celsius), and pizza stuck to the peel. Both should be easily fixable. Not enough flour on the bottom of the pizza, and better charcoal for the box.

Giant pizza pop coming instead. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 331
It really helps to use pizza screens, no transfer issues because they're cooked on the screen. If you do want to continue using a peel, use fine ground corn meal instead of flour. Better flavor, and adds to the crunch.

edit: After seeing your 2nd pic, I typically add any herbs toward the end of the cook, or upon completion.

I also find cornmeal better for launching. Also the biggest thing that helped my launches has been switching to a wooden peel. The dough doesn't stick to it nearly as much as the metal.

I roll the dough on the counter. Dust the peel. Put dough on peel lightly. VERY Quickly dress pizza. Shimmy the dough around to be sure it isn't stuck. Launch onto hotttttt kettle with stone or directly onto grates. Either way.

I also find cornmeal better for launching. Also the biggest thing that helped my launches has been switching to a wooden peel. The dough doesn't stick to it nearly as much as the metal.

I roll the dough on the counter. Dust the peel. Put dough on peel lightly. VERY Quickly dress pizza. Shimmy the dough around to be sure it isn't stuck. Launch onto hotttttt kettle with stone or directly onto grates. Either way.

very good advice!

Another for a wooden peel and the cornmeal. Works great. I have a pizza screen too, but actually use that to take off the pizza. I'm normally making multiple when I make them so I'll put one on the egg with the peel then immediately start prepping another pizza on that peel. In the 5 or so minutes that takes pizza 1 is ready to come off using the screen as a make shift peel and I can put the new pizza on that is sitting on the peel ready............and lather rinse repeat.

Cooking on the screens works great too though.

I prefer semolina flour to cornmeal. It's a little finer. I generally lightly rub AP or bread flour over the peel, then dust liberally with semolina. Open the dough on the counter, then transfer to the peel. Dress the pizza on the peel as quickly as possible, and shake the peel a few times throughout to make sure the dough still slides. If it sticks, lift an edge and blow under the pie. It creates an air pocket that the pie will just slide right off on. You'll never have a problem again, unless you rip a dough. I use a wooden peel though so YMMV

You pizza peel guys with your, "dress the pizza as quickly as possible" stuff. I use individual screens, and have made as many as 6 ahead of time. Cook pizzas, enjoy pizza in between...no benefit of rushing with a peel. Screened pizza off, screened pizza on...easy peasy. If you want the stress of a peel, have at it...but not me.

Or screen to launch pies and few min in take off screen and back onto the stone

If you want to launch it on a peel, wood only, metal to remove. Basic pizza 101. But truly, pizza screens for us that do not to wood fired pizzas for a living, pizza screens are the only way to go.

Parchment paper works nicely as well. If I'm doing multiple pies I'll roll em out onto their own parchment paper and remove after the first turn.

You pizza peel guys with your, "dress the pizza as quickly as possible" stuff. I use individual screens, and have made as many as 6 ahead of time. Cook pizzas, enjoy pizza in between...no benefit of rushing with a peel. Screened pizza off, screened pizza on...easy peasy. If you want the stress of a peel, have at it...but not me.

Small thing that slightly or sometimes more than slightly affects the finished product is the amount of time that the sauce sits on the raw dough. If you are making quick cooking pizzas (3 minutes or so) this can cause some gumminess in the crust that is not pleasant. If you are cooking longer than that the situation probably more than likely would be less of a problem. Not trying to be contradictory, just pointing out that there is a reason to hurry if you are making certain kinds of pizza.

Thanks for this very educational thread. Just getting into pizza making on the Egg. Few folks suggested we use parchment paper on the pizza stone. Problem I have is the parchment paper burns...and then it becomes damn near impossible to get it all out of the Egg lol...
Folks that use a screen....you are still using a stone in the cooker correct?

Well, I've been desperate to try a pizza on the Joe. So...

Darn pics aren't working on the iPhone to brethren...

Long story short. Issues with temps (ambient is -7celsius), and pizza stuck to the peel. Both should be easily fixable. Not enough flour on the bottom of the pizza, and better charcoal for the box.

Giant pizza pop coming instead. Lol

Use CORN MEAL on your paddle between it and the dough...acts like little ball bearings and will allow the dough to slide easily on and off the pizza peel.

HTH,

cayenne

I am curious to hear the answer... are the people using the screens sliding the screen onto a stone, or directly onto the grill grate?

Thanks!

Yeah but...

Yeah, but the screens don't let you get that actual dough to pizza stone direct contact and you lose a bit in the texture game there.....

Sure, it makes life easier to make a bunch ahead as you said, but I think it is a bit better and more authentic with direct stone to dough contact.

And I don't find I have to "dress" my pizza all that quickly. I load mine up fairly well too, I like lots of sauce, and toppings and cheese. Just make sure and put generous amounts of cornmeal not he peel...I too find that wood beats metal for non-stick, and I roll up the crust edges nicely, which keeps toppings and cheese from falling off pizza as ti cooks and it also helps with getting the pizza on and off the stone.

C

Attachments

• 2015_11_BGE_Pizza_002.jpg
    2015_11_BGE_Pizza_002.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2015_11_BGE_Pizza_003.jpg
    2015_11_BGE_Pizza_003.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 61
Parchment paper works nicely as well. If I'm doing multiple pies I'll roll em out onto their own parchment paper and remove after the first turn.

Exactly what I do.

In fact, we've had pizza parties with friends whereby each couple mixes and matches their favorite toppings and then the rest of us try each one.

Having 6-8 pizzas ready to go makes the time in between an empty pizza stone minimal, and is the best use of fuel too.

Good luck with the next batch, and eating the tests are half the fun!

Well, THAT SETTLES IT!!!

(if you use a screen, someone asked, is it on a stone or not?)

Also someone said right on the grates????

Back