ET-735......lackluster

scotts1919

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well after a long wait I finally received the et-735 unit from Maverick yesterday. Unfortunately this thing leaves a lot of room for improvement and I'm not too happy with it. A few issues below:

-loses Bluetooth connection very easy, even when your within 5ft range as I tested.
-app that connects to device over Bluetooth is terrible. I am using it on a Samsung Galaxy s5 which is recommended and the app crashes, it loses connection to device, if you put app in background the app disconnects from main unit and forces you to reopen app and reconnect (which never reconnects easily)

Unfortunately the unit does not meet expectations. I give them props for putting it out but after a 2 month delay which they blamed on the app you would have thought they would have had these issues resolved.

Onward and upward.

Had anyone used the igrill2? Seems like a lot more polished app and a better device all around? I might exchange the ET for the igrill2.

It never ceases to amaze me how folks get down on the Mavericks. Heck. They are sold at a cheap price point! That's like me buying a KIA car and complaining that it does not run like a Corvette. Caviar taste on a Sardine budget I recon. You get what you pay for.

What are you talking about? I actually own all 3 models of the Maverick thermometers and I figured I would give this one a try as well. I really liked the et732 and 733 and I was really intrigued with the idea of Bluetooth connected to my phone for monitoring. This by no means is cheap, it's $79. The Igrill is actually more. What other remote thermometer is in your garage that's the "corvette", I would love to know because the market isn't very big!

Just a simple grilling guy giving an honest opinion on a product.

What are you talking about? I actually own all 3 models of the Maverick thermometers and I figured I would give this one a try as well. I really liked the et732 and 733 and I was really intrigued with the idea of Bluetooth connected to my phone for monitoring. This by no means is cheap, it's $79. The Igrill is actually more. What other remote thermometer is in your garage that's the "corvette", I would love to know because the market isn't very big!

Just a simple grilling guy giving an honest opinion on a product.

No way I'm knocking it. If you want one of the best check out http://www.thermoworks.com/

It never ceases to amaze me how folks get down on the Mavericks. Heck. They are sold at a cheap price point! That's like me buying a KIA car and complaining that it does not run like a Corvette. Caviar taste on a Sardine budget I recon. You get what you pay for.

That's a little (or a lot) overstating it :crazy:. Maverick's work great and if their new model is supposed to compete with all the bluetooth tech out there it should work properly and not fail from a super close range. Granted we need more than one review for a larger consensus, so when you compare it to a KIA I'd say you are knocking it :razz:. Maverick is more like Toyota when they had all those recalls.........they had been really reliable, but maybe screwed up a little somewhere on something recent. Happens to everyone.

Does thermoworks offer a remote thermometer similar to the Maverick? I don't see it on there site? I do have the thermapen and it's fantastic, just not for remote monitoring, unless you aim an ip camera at the lcd and monitor from indoors :)

While his analogy is a bit extreme I have to agree with toast. Maverick has had known problems in the past. I have the cheap older one, it gets the job done. Range is poor. mine works but I've heard plenty of complaints.

I would expect an $ 80 maverick to work well. That's pretty disappointing it's that bad.

I appreciate you being brave enough to be an early adopter and giving it a test run. I have 2 ET-732 models and they work great. I would have assumed the new one would be a decent product. I have never been a fan of bluetooth in an application like this. I would rather they increase the price a little and use wifi instead.

This is one of the reasons I have no interest in a BT solution for remote monitoring. I want a Thermoworks unit with remote (non-BT) monitoring. THEN I will be happy :wink:

"Send it on back if it does not perform correctly" is the correct answer. If they stand behind their products. you will have your satisfaction- even if it takes awhile. I don't have one of those commercially available remote thermometers...I have a cheapo Polder with an audible alarm- it worked pretty good after I set a garage sale baby monitor beside it so I could hear it better to the ends of my house. Works really good - sure wish it weren't pink though :oops:

The irony here is that a KIA is probably more reliable than a Corvette.

Corvettes are for the white haired retiree to attempt to feel young again while driving 10mph below the speed limit, while KIA's are a dependable means of transportation for millions.

If my KIA or any econo-car behaved the way the op claims his 735 did, I'd be taking it back to the dealer ASAP.

BM

I have the 735 as well. I don't have as many problems with my iPhone 5. It connects flawlessly with Apple phones. The only issue I have with the 735 is the lack of range 10 Ft past the door and outside wall of my house.

It ain't not 732 or 735 for sure . It should be giving you 35 Feet consistantly. The Bluetooth Antenna are notoriously lousy in Samsung phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy for work and it sucks in comparison to the HTC, LG and IPhones Bluetooth signal strength.

All Samsung Galaxy phones seems to have Bluetooth issues except the Note. Try an HTC or a iPhone and see if the connection is better.

Just received my Maverick ET-735 last week (ordered off of Amazon....). I wanted to use it with my new UDS builds that we are completing, and had really high hopes for this product. Unfortunately, it appears i have been let down. I can't seem to get the app to connect with the transmitter, and when i do, it tells me there are no probes connected. The fact that it ships without an instruction guide, is pretty comical (as how can i read an instruction manual on my phone, while fumbling through app and phone settings. My only regret is that I didn't keep the box, so i could return the product (tossed it in a bit of drunken competition bbq rage). I might try it with another phone or two (I was trying to use it with a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active....and got no love), just to see.....but as of right now, i am not impressed at all. It would be returned, had i not trashed the packaging.

I did breakdown, that same day after discovering the ET-735 may be more hassle than it is worth given the software, and purchase an ET-733. I fired that up right away, and had no issues. However, several at the BBQ comp that I was at told me that they can't use wireless mavericks because they will pick up other competitors sensors. That exact issue was what i was trying to avoid by purchasing the ET-735 (well that and being able to monitor 4 probes would have been cool).

Perhaps i should have held out for the thermoworks.

--Matt Tucker

Just received my Maverick ET-735 last week (ordered off of Amazon....). I wanted to use it with my new UDS builds that we are completing, and had really high hopes for this product. Unfortunately, it appears i have been let down. I can't seem to get the app to connect with the transmitter, and when i do, it tells me there are no probes connected. The fact that it ships without an instruction guide, is pretty comical (as how can i read an instruction manual on my phone, while fumbling through app and phone settings. My only regret is that I didn't keep the box, so i could return the product (tossed it in a bit of drunken competition bbq rage). I might try it with another phone or two (I was trying to use it with a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active....and got no love), just to see.....but as of right now, i am not impressed at all. It would be returned, had i not trashed the packaging.

I did breakdown, that same day after discovering the ET-735 may be more hassle than it is worth given the software, and purchase an ET-733. I fired that up right away, and had no issues. However, several at the BBQ comp that I was at told me that they can't use wireless mavericks because they will pick up other competitors sensors. That exact issue was what i was trying to avoid by purchasing the ET-735 (well that and being able to monitor 4 probes would have been cool).

Perhaps i should have held out for the thermoworks.

--Matt Tucker

have you tried at least contacting Maverick with your issues? It doesn't matter if you have the box or not for product support

I had a bad probe once on my 732, they promptly sent me another one , no questions asked. Did not even ask for a receipt

Brethren with other Maverick devices shouldn't be so quick to jump on this guy for posting his experience because he is certainly not in the minority when it comes to the 735. I am in the process of returning mine after trying to get it to work over three different cooks. I ended up purchasing a 733 the very next week after receiving the 735 and it has been rock solid. Unfortunately the 735 puts a blemish on their reputation for a great easy to use product. The probes that come with it are a big step up from the other models. I have connection issues but more than that when my model is connected it loses the probe input values. It reads great out at the pit but I have spent hours resetting the thing trying to get the remote features to work.

That said, their customer support offered to send me out a new one but at this point I would much rather just have another (less expensive) 733.

Back