Public Service announcement for all CharGriller 980 GF Owners…

RCAlan

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RCAlan
If you haven’t already updated to the latest user smartphone app… Don’t. It’s complete garbage. Here’s a list of a few of the issues I’ve had and others have reported. Also, Many users on the 980’s FB user page are reporting the same things.
1. The Wifi and Bluetooth update is trash. You can’t be connected to WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time, like you could before with the previous app.. and once you do have connection, you only have about 5 feet of distance/range from the smoker before the connection is dropped. Before, I had the radios of my house, now it’s just 5 feet. Also, the app doesn’t store your WiFi password, so you’ll have to reinstall your password every time there is a disconnection and every time you turn the app on, you’ll have to reinstall the WiFi password. I had 10 disconnections on my last bbq, which required me to put the password in 10 times. Smh
2. The timer is completely non functional now. Set the timer, push confirm and nothing. It’ll automatically go back to 00-00. Never had that problem before with the old app.
3. The temp probs will show a 10*-30* degrees difference from what’s on the smokers controller and what’s showing up on the app.
4. Adjusting the temp from the app doesn’t work anymore either. Even being right next to the smoker…. Nothing. I have to manually adjust the 980’s temp using the smokers controller only. Turbo fan function doesn’t work either.
5. It’s frustrating to fight with a bug infested app that has no range of operation and the contents of the app doesn’t work….
These are things that tech support/app designers should have gotten right before releasing this flawed update. FYI…. CharGriller, don’t just push an update out the door before Memorial Day and then take the weekend off. smh. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it and don’t release a fix/update that causes more problems and headaches then before. 02. I wish there was a way to reinstall the previous app, but you can’t…. Smh…. If the app doesn’t work, then the smoker is a headache and a pain to use. The Set-it and Forget-it ease is completely gone when you install this update garbage. Again, if you haven’t. Don’t. Luckily, I still have the Pellet Pro Austin XL in the arsenal.. Wow and I almost sold it too. Glad I didn’t…

Last edited:
the app wasn't great to begin with. I will say Char Griller has provided some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with on 2 warranty issues, one of which being completely my fault (rusted charcoal chamber) which really they didn't have to cover, but they did.

Hopefully they'll get it straight, as I love the unit.

If you did not have plans centered around that cooker, that would still be beyond frustrating. Had an old timer at my job- used to say "Shouldn't an upgrade be BETTER than what you had before?"

Hopefully they will get you sorted out.

Sorry to hear of all the problems. You can always build a UDS while they fix the issues!

The Pellet Pro Austin XL still works and I can Set-it and Forget-it once it’s prepped. I was a big fan of the CG 980 because of the bbq it can produce. It’s just frustrating when a company uses a second tiered app designer to push through a garbage app update. There is no way they did any quality control or testing to ensure the app functioned properly. This app update is completely different from the original app. Only the colors used in the app are the same.. If there was away to delete this app and reinstall the original, I would in a heartbeat.. but that’s not possible. This smoker is going to be untouched and unused until CharGriller can get the original app designers to release an update to fix this garbage of an app. Any potential CG 980 buyers on the fence…. I would wait until there is a proven functional fix that addresses all the malfunctions that this current app update is causing. .02

Just wanted to add… I’m not knocking the CG 980 as a smoker. I think it’s a great smoker for the price, it’s just frustrating that technology is so interwoven into so much of everything thing we use today. When there are short cuts are taken on the technology side, it effects the whole product. Hopefully CharGriller is working on a complete fix for the app or at least make the previous Smart App available again, until all the bugs are worked out in the current update. I don’t know if it’s a Apple Smartphone thing or all Smartphones.. Spending $700.00 plus dollars, only to not be able to fully enjoy your purchase is frustrating…. Especially during a Holiday like Memorial Day was and the up coming 4th of July would be.

Just an update.. CharGriller released a 980 GF app today that looks like and functions like the version 1.0 app, which is a good thing…. All the app functions work as designed, the only problem that still exists is with its communications. The app still will not allow WiFi and Bluetooth to be connected at the same time. Oh, they’ll connect, but then the WiFi will drop in a few seconds while the Bluetooth will stay connected. I can be standing about 5 feet from the WiFi modem, my IPhone in my hand and the Smoker right next to me and the WiFi will still drop and disconnect. I never had this problem before until the update garbage app was released. The Bluetooth is the dominant communication source and the WiFi capabilities are nonexistent... If the WiFi worked correctly, then you would have at least some decent range of operation. Now, you literally have to be standing almost right next to the smoker for the app to work properly and not be disconnected. The app designers really need to figure out what’s the problem and make it work like it did prior to the update mess. The Bluetooth functional distance now is about 10-15 feet from the smoker without any obstructions like a wall or door between you and the smoker. Beyond 10-15 feet, the Bluetooth connection drops as well. If the WiFi would stay connected with the Bluetooth at the same time, then most, if not all the issues would be resolved. Perhaps CharGriller’s app team should reach out to Apple, Microsoft and the major Cellular companies and figure this WiFi problem out once and for all. .02.

Back