Burnt Ends should they be legal

I've turned in 16 burnt ends because they were awesome, 3rd place. I've turned in pulled with sliced, 2nd place. I'm a fan of leaving it alone. Let me turn in my best, whether it be sliced, pulled, chopped or point only. I don't think most judges have difficulty determining whether the brisket is tender or not.

What I am getting at is this. It would make it a lot easier if only slices were allowed. Easier for the cooks as this would be your only option. Easier for the judges as this would be the only thing in the box to judge.

Up to you if all you want to turn in is slices. I have seen entries go from a 9-9-9 to a 9-8-8 due to bad ends. If it is in there we will judge it.

NEVER will I mark a box lower/higher because it does/doesn't have the "parts judges like".

I have seen entries go from a 9-9-9 to a 9-8-8 due to bad ends. If it is in there we will judge it.

I have written Comment Cards dealing with this. I'm not trying to tell a cook how to cook, but just letting him know that the money muscle, slices, burnt ends, pulled, whatever - wasn't up to par and that's what dropped the score that I gave.

Back