1st RF offset build questions

Wreched75

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
hey guys,

let me start off by saying thanks in advanced with any info provided. As the title states i am building my first offset with propane tanks, but i have a few questions for those who are experienced in this realm.

the propane tanks are a 10gallon cook chamber and 5 gallon fire box my questions below

1. how thick should the baffle plate be?
2. how big should the gap be on the reverse flow opening
3. how far should the cooking grate be from the baffle?
4. last but not least doing the calculations using the feldon calculator its saying thr opening between the cook chamber and fire box is 5.68 inch diameter half moon. So my question is can it just be an over all 5.68 inches wide or does it have to be measured from the bottom of the cylinder to the top to acheive 5.68 inches? I ask because the diameter of my tanks is only 12.3 inches and if the half moon needs to be 5.68 inches then it takes up half my cooking area. If you take a look at the link below you'll see this guys firebox and cook chamber its doesnt really look like hes got 5 inches on the cook chamber rather it looks more like the whole is bigger on the fire box. Do you think that would pose an issue if it were the specified calc from feldon calc?

Link to mini RF offset
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/92571/new-mini-smoker-it-works

link to my feldon calulcations
http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalcula...fc=4.02,5.68,12.67]Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

1. 1/4" is pretty standard
2. Feldons should give you that dimension, but it's the same size (LxW) as the firebox to cook chamber opening.
3. I put the baffle right above the FB/CC opening, and the bottom rack at the middle point of the tank. Worked out to be 7", but 4" is good enough.
4. As long as it is 12.67 square inches, you're good. Doesn't have to be the half moon. So you can make it shorter, but wider, to make up for the height.

Thanks Johnnyb!!! I never got a calculation for the otherness of the fire box from Feldon but you are saying it should be the same as the opening from cc/fb? Thank you again that clears a lot of things up!

Yeah, if you look in the notes under the Firebox to Cook Chamber Opening section, it's right there.

Jhonnyb!!!!!

Thank you so much for the info!!!!! I was scratching my head there for a moment when you said it was in the notes section hahah just had to keep reading!!!!! Sorry for being newb!!! Can't wait to start this project!!! Weekend can't get here any quicker also a 3 dayer hopping to finish it up! Thanks again man

Back