best UDS kit?

bkvanbek

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I want to build another. I did the Big Papa's before, works well, but I would like something with better air controls. Maybe a way to hook up a chimney and use it in the garage. I saw one on eBay by LavaLock, anyone try that one?

Not sure what "better air controls" is. On my UDS, I used 3 x 3/4" holes with flexible magnets for control for about 3 years. It worked great -as simple as it was. Wanting something different, I sealed those holes off and went with a bottom feed slider /lever (Hunsaker style- bit cruder being home built). It works great too. Crafting intake tubes a la Gateway is outside my abilities but evidently they work great. I have a 30 gallon UDS with a single slider (1-3/4) intake (not like the big poppa- but the same general idea)... yep- it works great too.

If you want an intake scheme that is "cooler" that is a different kettle of fish. Go to Hunsaker - get all of the a la carte items, wheels, intake, lid hinge with chimney... basket too. That whole rig rocks major booty.

Maybe one day I can own the "real deal"

We know the USA is going down the crapper when a normal person can't just get a barrel, burn it out with pallets, and drill a few very easy holes even a caveman could do it and make a UDS. Buy a few bolts, a couple of garage door handles, some piping, one gate valve ....

If you are trying to make a BUDS (beautiful ugly drum smoker) them I am unfamiliar with the best kit. Spend the $$$ and buy a hunsaker or gateway. For the best air control, drill 4 holes 1/2 or 3/4 inch, buy 3 pipe nipples of some kind with caps and one ball valve all the size that will fit the closest in the holes. Make sure tou have the same number and size of holes or at least a two inch hole for the exhaust. Open 1, 2, or 3 capped holes to adjust larger amounts and ball valve to adjust smaller anounts. For lowest temps, use just the ball valve. This is the best and most accurate temp control you can get without having just one intake hole and using an electric air flow controler

Last edited:
I bought some Hunsaker parts and some Lava Lock stuff and came up with a great barrel smoker for under $200.

Last edited:
I want to build another. I did the Big Papa's before, works well, but I would like something with better air controls. Maybe a way to hook up a chimney and use it in the garage.
Ventilation hood with fan, plus other required floor/wall heat protection.
For better air control than BP? I never had one.
This is what I built. I prefer a visual of my intake setting with easy adjustment, typically 15 minutes for your temp adjustment to be stable . No bending over. Easy foot control. Just tap with your foot. And I can cook from 180* to 700*+.

I just built another one for a neighbor. He loves it. Easier than his gas grill to operate. Says he. :thumb: I built him a mini also.

550* with just briquettes while seasoning.
I've done the "air under the coal basket" a couple years ago as an experiment. No advantage that I saw. Removed it.

1.5" cast iron pipe elbows. You need 3 to get the 700* stuff. And you need at least 4" total exhaust. The elbows keep the snow and wind out!
Any questions, just ask.

We know the USA is going down the crapper when a normal person can't just get a barrel, burn it out with pallets, and drill a few very easy holes even a caveman could do it and make a UDS. Buy a few bolts, a couple of garage door handles, some piping, one gate valve ....

And don't get me started on people that buy a PBC, Gateway, Hunsaker, etc. instead of building their own UDS!

Nice looking drums! I don't know what I want, I don't need any more grills. I don't care for the bending over of the BP. Does the Vortex of the Hunsaker work? I like the wheels. How does that intake work?

I could absolutely see myself building a UDS when I have a bit more space. Google says that the inside diameter of a 55 gallon drum is 22.5" so I assume grate for a 22" Weber will fit. I could easily attach some bolts to the side to hold a couple grates, drill holes at the bottom for intake and even attach valves to give precise control. My question is how do you easily remove ash from the bottom of your drum? I suppose I could just take the grates out and turn it over, preferably in a compost pile. Would be cool to come up with a "One Touch" type system to remove ash though. I'm betting a clever coal brother has already done such a thing.

Nice looking drums! I don't know what I want, I don't need any more grills. I don't care for the bending over of the BP. Does the Vortex of the Hunsaker work? I like the wheels. How does that intake work?

I do not have the Vortex basket but the vent was real easy to install , the give you a template , tape in in place , drill your holes , install your bolts and your done and love that you do not haft to bend over to adjust it .

Last edited:
1.5" cast iron pipe elbows. You need 3 to get the 700* stuff. And you need at least 4" total exhaust. The elbows keep the snow and wind out!

I was about to make that modification. I did mine with the 4 3/4" vents, and 10 3/4" holes up along the top rim, for both vent and for hanging meat off he rods with SS hooks. Mine won't run over 350.
My old style barrel, same vent setup, but with a door cut into the side for air and to reload the small fuel basket, (about 5lbs) would run 500 easy. Chicken tastes great out of the UDS, but I miss the crisp skin. Some meats, higher is better.
What was that you capped them off with? Are those magnets? I have threaded on mine, but i like the adjustability.

I was about to make that modification. I did mine with the 4 3/4" vents, and 10 3/4" holes up along the top rim, for both vent and for hanging meat off he rods with SS hooks. Mine won't run over 350.
My old style barrel, same vent setup, but with a door cut into the side for air and to reload the small fuel basket, (about 5lbs) would run 500 easy. Chicken tastes great out of the UDS, but I miss the crisp skin. Some meats, higher is better.
What was that you capped them off with? Are those magnets? I have threaded on mine, but i like the adjustability.
Yes
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-M...Hook-Magnets-2-Piece-per-Pack-96704/203613207

Back