No longer a brisket virgin! PBC Brisket and burnt ends!

Looks really good! I don't think brisket is as hard as people think it is, it's just really intimidating for some reason.

Looks really good! I don't think brisket is as hard as people think it is, it's just really intimidating for some reason.

It was easier than I thought, for sure. But I'm gonna credit the PBC for that.....lol :mrgreen:.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments!

Lol, Thanks Keith. It was11 lb. took 8 hours total. 7 in the PBC and 1 in the ice chest.

:
I'll assume you didnt refill the coals and you started out 300-325 and the temp decreased as the cook went on......averaged 250*?

That shot of the bend in the flat slice is all I need to know.

Great job!

I'll assume you didnt refill the coals and you started out 300-325 and the temp decreased as the cook went on......averaged 250*?

Nope, temps were right at 265-270 for the first few hours. I noticed temp dropping and when it hit 244 I went for a look. I noticed the coals burning funny so I rotated the basket to get the more unburned coals towards the intake and that helped get temps back up to 270. I have a pizza pan under the coal basket and I think the edge is blocking airflow a little. I'm going to remove it for the next cook. Other than that temps held pretty steady. Towards the very end I pulled a rod to get the temp up and hover about 285.

That looks great for ur first time. Looks like ur a pro. I can only hope my first brisket comes out that good!

Wow, spectacular result and on your first try to boot!

I ruined my first 3-4. Edible but far from awesome.

Wonderful looking brisket
Planning on my first pbc brisket for the 4th
Just curious which lighting method you used and if you used any wood??
Thank you

Wonderful looking brisket
Planning on my first pbc brisket for the 4th
Just curious which lighting method you used and if you used any wood??
Thank you

Thanks Kevin!........I NEVER use lighter fluid! What I do is fill the coal basket full. Then take out 36 briquettes (I use Stubbs briquettes). 36 keeps my Temps around 265-270 with the intake 1/4 open. I put 3-4 medium sized chunks of wood in the coals left in the coal basket. I light the 36 in a chimney until they are all pretty well lit. Then I dump the hot coals over the top of the unlit coals and wood in the basket. Using a leather grill glove I pick up the basket and place it in the PBC. Put in the rods and put the lid on. Get my meat ready...in this case I rubbed down the brisket. That usually takes 15-20 minutes in which case the PBC is usually at its cooking temp. Open the lid and hang the meat, shut the lid.....done!
I use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the PBC because I'm OCD about the temp....lol. :mrgreen:

And thank you to all of you posting the comments in this thread. I wish you all could taste the brisket. It tastes as good as it looks!

Just BAM! Brother! I voted for that plated brisket shot in the Newbie Throwdown before I saw this cook thread! Now I know that I was not wrong. :clap::clap::clap:

that briskett looks awesome!! i cant wait to to do one next week i hope mine comes out as good. I may say screw the tri tip LOL :) i've never had it so i wont be missing anything. Did you use a maverick or something to keep and eye on your temps??? ive been debating that or an igrill.

Back