Went to Myron's class in Chicago -- a recap

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

Just wanted to share with you a little recap about the class I took with Myron on Friday. Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. Fun day with the man. But not without criticism.

Class was held in Chicago on the front-end of the Windy City BBQ Festival. As it's an onsite, one-day course, it's not the usual competition cooking class with Myron at his home school in Georgia. Rather, this was a makeshift classroom held out in a parking lot next to the festival. Folding tables with knives, gloves, and cutting boards greeted us (along with water, coffee, and breakfast sandwiches). There were 21 of us in total, most of whom were backyard BBQ enthusiasts, plus a few competitors. I paid $500 for the one day course from 8:00am-4:00pm.

Class was scheduled to start at 8:00, but we actually all sat outside on picnic benches for the first hour shooting the breeze with each other while folks from the festival help get things set up. On a side note, not sure who's doing the hiring for the festival, but they have good taste in young pretty girls :wink: Regardless, Michael and Tracy Mixon (Myron's son and brother) were around to interact with while we all waited for Myron. I will tell, you won't meet a nicer family. Tracy is pretty shy and stays mostly to himself, although he'll answer your questions. Michael is the new face of the franchise and was outgoing and highly interactive with all of us. Incredibly likeable young man.

I went into this with an open mind. $500 is a lot of money for just a few hours, so to me, I was hoping for three outcomes:

1) Did I learn something?
2) Was Myron cool to hang with?
3) Could I get pictures and autographs?

Thankfully the answer to all three was an enthusiastic YES! But not without a few hick-ups:

Things I learned:

Great vinegar-based mop for ribs and chicken. How to not "over-think" BBQ, and the basics of ensuring a great product. Whole chicken preparation technique was particularly interesting!

One the negative side, Myron didn't show up until 9:00. And left at 2:00pm with literally no goodbye. But that actually made me laugh. He's the man, and we're not children. When dude wants to leave he can leave :razz: While he was around, he was completely accessible, fun, and posed for countless pictures and autographs with nary a frown.

Bottom line -- I don't feel like I learned a ton for BBQ competition, but I had a great time as primer to a great BBQ festival. Was it worth $500? Depends how much you enjoy posting great facebook pictures to your friends.

-Bastid

p.s. We cooked on a pit built of cinder blocks, a cooking grate, and two inches of sand. Amazing!!

Last edited:
I don't do Facebook and even if I did those who know me wouldn't have a clue who Myron Mixon is, they're just glad I know how to smoke some good Q.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like you had a good time thanks for sharing your experience.

Hey Brethren,

Just wanted to share with you a little recap about the class I took with Myron on Friday. Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. Fun day with the man. But not without criticism.

Class was held in Chicago on the front-end of the Windy City BBQ Festival. As it's an onsite, one-day course, it's not the usual competition cooking class with Myron at his home school in Georgia. Rather, this was a makeshift classroom held out in a parking lot next to the festival. Folding tables with knives, gloves, and cutting boards greeted us (along with water, coffee, and breakfast sandwiches). There were 21 of us in total, most of whom were backyard BBQ enthusiasts, plus a few competitors. I paid $500 for the one day course from 8:00am-4:00pm.

Class was scheduled to start at 8:00, but we actually all sat outside on picnic benches for the first hour shooting the breeze with each other while folks from the festival help get things set up. On a side note, not sure who's doing the hiring for the festival, but they have good taste in young pretty girls :wink: Regardless, Michael and Tracy Mixon (Myron's son and brother) were around to interact with while we all waited for Myron. I will tell, you won't meet a nicer family. Tracy is pretty shy and stays mostly to himself, although he'll answer your questions. Michael is the new face of the franchise and was outgoing and highly interactive with all of us. Incredibly likeable young man.

I went into this with an open mind. $500 is a lot of money for just a few hours, so to me, I was hoping for three outcomes:

1) Did I learn something?
2) Was Myron cool to hang with?
3) Could I get pictures and autographs?

Thankfully the answer to all three was an enthusiastic YES! But not without a few hick-ups:

Things I learned:

Great vinegar-based mop for ribs and chicken. How to not "over-think" BBQ, and the basics of ensuring a great product. Whole chicken preparation technique was particularly interesting!

One the negative side, Myron didn't show up until 9:00. And left at 2:00pm with literally no goodbye. But that actually made me laugh. He's the man, and we're not children. When dude wants to leave he can leave :razz: While he was around, he was completely accessible, fun, and posed for countless pictures and autographs with nary a frown.

Bottom line -- I don't feel like I learned a ton for BBQ competition, but I had a great time as primer to a great BBQ festival. Was it worth $500? Depends how much you enjoy posting great facebook pictures to your friends.

-Bastid

p.s. We cooked on a pit built of cinder blocks, a cooking grate, and two inches of sand. Amazing!!

KUDOS to you for taking the leap.....

Sounds like a great gig for Myron too...
$10,500.00 for a scheduled class of 21, shows up for 5 hours and makes his time valued at $2,100.00 per hour.

I'm happy for him, I'm sure many others would do the same if they could, but most importantly you and the other attendees left feeling as if you learned something and you made some new friends there. You can't put a price on knowledge.

28691CEB-3145-412D-BEB3-910749FCA8A8_zpsi8a7jg9r.jpg

424D5A21-A1A6-45AD-8832-9FC12067B86D_zps3hjmfd6w.jpg

DB49E67C-4339-4059-9AE7-868FD915CE64_zpsgohzavac.jpg

E7FB6EDD-4651-48A7-821F-3D09E917EAC4_zps5vtllqo1.jpg

ACBEAC68-EB71-4756-B80D-B3646FA3EE09_zpsem99imld.jpg

DAD9540C-4A8E-4466-895D-75EA7ECEED61_zps2cjh9alr.jpg

2C50B1B7-A372-4EEA-A45A-620B3C4DFA06_zpszvsmzsmb.jpg

AEA98B49-5F09-42D9-9141-9EB8DEC53ED8_zpskeukvy7l.jpg

8A15717B-C5B4-450D-AB30-3711876AC72B_zpsx3wmprc2.jpg

21B1FD96-78D8-450C-AEB3-076696BEFF61_zps7ir5zsx2.jpg

Great pics! Where are these young pretty girls you speak of though? Just kidding. Looks like you had fun.
I'm actually kinda interested in the cinder block pit.....any more details?

He went on and on how you could build a competition pit for under $300 in parts from Lowes. Cinder blocks, grate, sheet metal cover, plywood door, and two inches of sand. He maintained between 275-300 with it for our entire rib/chicken cook. We shoveled coals into it from the chimneys (there were five going) every hour.

What else can I tell you that the pics don't? It just is what it is.

C7BA1593-D55B-45E2-8D23-3C441F24F7B9_zpsvhcleqj9.jpg

I like the fact that he went old skool with the cinder block pit, that is very cool. Would I have paid $500 to watch him do it, not a chance. The bottom line is, you had fun, and that's all that matters.

I won a class of his in Georgia Had to cancel it once- don't remember why Then my computer was hit by malware and viruses My files were corrupted- lost a lot including his certificate If the class was for a certain time span then he should be there for that time

I like the fact that he went old skool with the cinder block pit, that is very cool. Would I have paid $500 to watch him do it, not a chance. The bottom line is, you had fun, and that's all that matters.

I had fun. And the event was a Father's Day gift from my wife (cool wife, right?). I don't feel like it was $500 worth of "content" at all, but it really was a thrill to spend five hours with Myron just shooting the sh*t and cooking ribs/chicken -- which was really all this was. Plus some cool pictures which I'll treasure.

I forgot to mention -- the $500 also included a full day pass to the Windy City BBQ event, which I believe was a $50 value.

Sounds like u had a great time. That's all that matters. If I had the chance I would of gone. Nice pics.

Great thread! Curious about the vinegar mop. Mostly:

What was the water to vinegar ratio?

What type of vinegar? I'm hot on Apple Cider vinegar that I make...

Thanks for the fun pic-filled thread

Great thread! Curious about the vinegar mop. Mostly:

What was the water to vinegar ratio?

What type of vinegar? I'm hot on Apple Cider vinegar that I make...

Thanks for the fun pic-filled thread

When I get back from my travels this week, I'll send you this mop recipe. But one thing you should know. Myron said -- more than once, actually -- to never ever EVER use any kind of cider vinegar in mops or marinades. Use plain white vinegar. He feels strongly that cider/fruit vinegars end up dominating the flavor profile (in a very negative way) and it doesn't create authentic BBQ flavor.

Thanks much.

Really no sugar left in the vinegar to burn, so this no-no from him is interesting. I may do a sise-by-side and see whazzup

That sheet of expanded stainless is almost $500 alone. How did he come up with $300? : )

Back