The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

First time ever posting a cook in this thread. I think pellet smoking is my favorite method for brisket. 16 hours 40 minutes on the RecTec590 with Lumber Jack 100% Hickory.
7fffffe8b522ea29046c81a18a4fdff1.jpg
0d9e14dcb29bffd163f91591543ef823.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

FanFreakingTastic

So on the hunt for a new Pellet grill. Was looking at the Yoder or the Cookshack PG500. I originally wanted the Yoder and opted for the MAK 2 star and what a mistake. Considering that MAK grills showed that they are not the great customer service company they are perceived to be and I am now stuck with a Lemon. Also looking at the Weber Smokefire Gen 2. Does anybody have a Gen 2 on here? I seen some of the issues got fixed, but not sure if all are worked out yet. Thanks!!

So on the hunt for a new Pellet grill. Was looking at the Yoder or the Cookshack PG500. I originally wanted the Yoder and opted for the MAK 2 star and what a mistake. Considering that MAK grills showed that they are not the great customer service company they are perceived to be and I am now stuck with a Lemon. Also looking at the Weber Smokefire Gen 2. Does anybody have a Gen 2 on here? I seen some of the issues got fixed, but not sure if all are worked out yet. Thanks!!

There's quite a MAK cult on this forum so I'm sure you'll be asked to explain yourself in more detail. What specifically went wrong? How specifically did customer service not please? Etc.

I would definitely love to know what issues you had with customer service. From my engagement with them to what i have seen they are best in business. I can’t imagine you getting better customer service so i would love to know if something changed. Not saying you didn’t have a bad experience but very curious what happened.

I would definitely love to know what issues you had with customer service. From my engagement with them to what i have seen they are best in business. I can’t imagine you getting better customer service so i would love to know if something changed. Not saying you didn’t have a bad experience but very curious what happened.
I did have good CS in the beginning and they were very helpful for sometime, but my question is, how long do you let somebody continue to have problem after problem and expect me to keep fixing the thing? Set it and forget it right? And before anybody starts giving pointers, I have done it all and tried it all. The thing is a lemon and I am done destroying my BBQ. When it has worked it has performed well and good results, but the cons outweigh the good. Honestly, though, that is water under the bridge now. I am done with MAK and I am moving on and looking for something new. They don’t like to hear negative feedback..

I did have good CS in the beginning and they were very helpful for sometime, but my question is, how long do you let somebody continue to have problem after problem and expect me to keep fixing the thing? Set it and forget it right? And before anybody starts giving pointers, I have done it all and tried it all. The thing is a lemon and I am done destroying my BBQ. When it has worked it has performed well and good results, but the cons outweigh the good. Honestly, though, that is water under the bridge now. I am done with MAK and I am moving on and looking for something new. They don’t like to hear negative feedback..

I don’t know the issue but maybe you got a bad one. Did they offer to replace it? If not then i completely understand. If it’s new and never worked i would expect them to stand behind it. Did that not happen?

There's quite a MAK cult on this forum so I'm sure you'll be asked to explain yourself in more detail. What specifically went wrong? How specifically did customer service not please? Etc.
There is really to much to explain. I am sure some are going to have their feathers ruffled because I do not have the same experience as the others. No different than the car business, some can swear a Toyota is the best car on the road and never had an issue but there is that person that does have problems with one and I am using that as an example, never owned a Toyota, so not sure how they run. I would have thought they would have done the right thing and they did not. Like I said above, I am moving on, looking for something new. Want to see whats new on the market.

I don’t know the issue but maybe you got a bad one. Did they offer to replace it? If not then i completely understand. If it’s new and never worked i would expect them to stand behind it. Did that not happen?
Nope and that is the issue. They flat out denied me, so that is where it ends. Stuck with a $3K hunk of stainless. It has worked here and there and when I thought it was fixed, it failed again or something else went wrong. Thats ok though, I am fine with it. Just gotta do my homework and make sure I make the right choice this time. Honestly I am just bummed out about the whole thing. Going to be some good old fashioned kettle and drum smoking for the summer. Sure it is going to be hard to find something right about now. Tough to buy anything right now.

Like I said above, I am moving on, looking for something new. Want to see whats new on the market.

If you're convinced it's time to move on, give Nelson White a call (208.789.2080) and at least give him a chance to tell you what makes his Outlaw line special. I've been to his shop here in town several times and think he makes a great product. Other companies to consider IMO are Pitts & Spitts, Cookshack, Yoder, Assassin, Blaz'n Grill Works, and Smokin' Brothers. And LSG if you don't mind the wait.

Nope and that is the issue. They flat out denied me, so that is where it ends. Stuck with a $3K hunk of stainless. It has worked here and there and when I thought it was fixed, it failed again or something else went wrong. Thats ok though, I am fine with it. Just gotta do my homework and make sure I make the right choice this time. Honestly I am just bummed out about the whole thing. Going to be some good old fashioned kettle and drum smoking for the summer. Sure it is going to be hard to find something right about now. Tough to buy anything right now.

Well if that’s the case then fair enough. Sometimes things don’t work. It can happen with anything but i am surprised they didn’t do right by you. So i guess you have to move on and hope for a better experience. I don’t have hands on experience with another pellet as the mak has worked flawlessly for me. But I’ve always heard Yoder is solid. Amazing ribs had a really good review of the top smokers. Worth a look. Let us know what you decided on.

What is this? The smaller Yoder?

Yoder YS480. The smaller one.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with MAK. I bought my YS640 used and love it. Only thing with Yoder is paint issues but don't know if they have fixed it by now. Mine sits on a cart and there are places that paint is peeling but I don't really care especially that I bought it used. Paint on the cart is flawless. Works like dream and Yoder has been around long enough.

If you're convinced it's time to move on, give Nelson White a call (208.789.2080) and at least give him a chance to tell you what makes his Outlaw line special. I've been to his shop here in town several times and think he makes a great product. Other companies to consider IMO are Pitts & Spitts, Cookshack, Yoder, Assassin, Blaz'n Grill Works, and Smokin' Brothers. And LSG if you don't mind the wait.
Thanks man!! I am defiantly going to look at the Outlaw! I have been in contact with Assassin and the cook shack PG500 is on my radar also. I am in line for the Lone Star, but it may be sometime before I can get one as they are just starting production now. Looks to be a winner.

Well if that’s the case then fair enough. Sometimes things don’t work. It can happen with anything but i am surprised they didn’t do right by you. So i guess you have to move on and hope for a better experience. I don’t have hands on experience with another pellet as the mak has worked flawlessly for me. But I’ve always heard Yoder is solid. Amazing ribs had a really good review of the top smokers. Worth a look. Let us know what you decided on.
Me to man. This could have been a whole other experience for both sides, but I can only speak for myself. I have my drum smoker and picked up an Akorn, going to get some Charcoal rolling till I find something. Happy Smoking.

Yoder YS480. The smaller one.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with MAK. I bought my YS640 used and love it. Only thing with Yoder is paint issues but don't know if they have fixed it by now. Mine sits on a cart and there are places that paint is peeling but I don't really care especially that I bought it used. Paint on the cart is flawless. Works like dream and Yoder has been around long enough.
That unit looks to be in great shape. I could deal with paint peeling LOL. I remember seeing all your great cookoffs in the Pit Barrel thread. We will get it figured out here soon enough.

Rib Rub, I had a SmokeFire Gen 2 and at least back in Jan was still a very moody cooker. Most of the outstanding issues are firmware, so it should continue to get better. However, it sounds like you might not have patience if there are issues (I know I ran out on my patience prescription and returned mine). That being said, I loved it from June til Oct last year until they put out a firmware update messing all kinds of things up.

I replaced it with a MAK, so I’m not a help there, but totally understand there’s a point when you drop 3 grand you have certain expectations. I had the same type of thing with a Memphis. Great support, but never fully resolved my issues and how I wanted to use the grill.

The only complaints I ever hear about Yoder are paint and fuel economy. The PG500 has caught my eye over the years many times. I’ve just not been so keen on having to learn their settings and no WiFi support. WiFi isn’t generally a deal breaker, but when you have a tweakable controller in a climate that varies from -30 to 100, I’m not sure I want to be adjusting it all the time with little buttons on the controller. The only concern I see from a few owners is fly ash getting on food. Not sure if that’s a real concern after you season it well or not.

Rib Rub, I had a SmokeFire Gen 2 and at least back in Jan was still a very moody cooker. Most of the outstanding issues are firmware, so it should continue to get better. However, it sounds like you might not have patience if there are issues (I know I ran out on my patience prescription and returned mine). That being said, I loved it from June til Oct last year until they put out a firmware update messing all kinds of things up.

I replaced it with a MAK, so I’m not a help there, but totally understand there’s a point when you drop 3 grand you have certain expectations. I had the same type of thing with a Memphis. Great support, but never fully resolved my issues and how I wanted to use the grill.

The only complaints I ever hear about Yoder are paint and fuel economy. The PG500 has caught my eye over the years many times. I’ve just not been so keen on having to learn their settings and no WiFi support. WiFi isn’t generally a deal breaker, but when you have a tweakable controller in a climate that varies from -30 to 100, I’m not sure I want to be adjusting it all the time with little buttons on the controller. The only concern I see from a few owners is fly ash getting on food. Not sure if that’s a real concern after you season it well or not.
Thanks, yeah I don’t want a moody cooker, that is for sure LOL. I am sure one day Weber is going to perfect it and will probably be a fantastic grill. The price is right. I have a camp chef woodwind for the mean time. It does not lay down smoke like the MAK does, but it does not break down every time I use it either.

What is this? The smaller Yoder?

Yup. The YS480S. Great for a family of four IMHO.

I have a Mother's Day pork butt smoking on it right now, covered in the Oakridge BBQ Competition Rub. We're almost 3 hours in at 275 degrees and the probes are reading 133 and 136.

Yup. The YS480S. Great for a family of four IMHO.

I have a Mother's Day pork butt smoking on it right now, covered in the Oakridge BBQ Competition Rub. We're almost 3 hours in at 275 degrees and the probes are reading 133 and 136.
How does it do holding temps? Do you notice any big swings or does it stay on point? Also does it have a smoke feature where It puts down heavier smoke?

How does it do holding temps? Do you notice any big swings or does it stay on point? Also does it have a smoke feature where It puts down heavier smoke?

Here's something to be mindful of. Many pellet cookers have PID controls that are programed to show an average after the unit reaches the set temp. When I set my unit (with Roanoke PID control) to 225°F and measure what's happening with my ThermoWorks Smoke probe, the two readouts track together as temp rises until the set temp is reached, at which point the PID control just says 225°F while the Smoke probe reading swings back and forth a bit.

Seems to hold fine. But then I am in Florida where its humid and windy at the moment. I'm sure different environments have different effect on temps.

It doesn't have an explicit "smoke" setting. I just know to run it at a lower temp to get more smoke...depending on what I am cooking. The hotter is burns, the cleaner it burns, the less smoke you get...regardless of brand...

Here's something to be mindful of. Many pellet cookers have PID controls that are programed to show an average after the unit reaches the set temp. When I set my unit (with Roanoke PID control) to 225°F and measure what's happening with my ThermoWorks Smoke probe, the two readouts track together as temp rises until the set temp is reached, at which point the PID control just says 225°F while the Smoke probe reading swings back and forth a bit.
I am fine with a few degrees either way, but I have a Camp Chef that has 50 and 60 degree swings both ways. I mean honestly now that I know how to cook with it, I can use it, but in the beginning I could not figure out why stuff was over cooking until I got a good thermo and monitored the interior grill temps. Seems to recover pretty fast, but for some reason the temps just rise and fall the entire time and they are steep drops. One things the MAK did do good was hold the temps within 5 degrees. I don’t think I ever seen it go above 5 in either direction, that is about all I can say for it.

Back