Doubt on MEATER.

ok...i had to laugh. i have not looked very hard at the meater as i wouldn't pay anything until it was out and proven.

I wouldn't either Paul, and have no idea if I would ever get one. Things like this I'd like to see proven/bugs worked out first but it would be pretty cool for long rotisserie cooks I must say.

I don't have an opinion about the product, or those designing and manufacturing it!:mrgreen:

I am curious about how they will handle the battery and keeping it cool enough in a rather warm environment. I don't know how accurate or unbiased the site linked below is. Taking a couple of numbers makes me curious to learn what method(s) are used. One formulation can withstand skin temps of 250 F before becoming unstable. To avoid getting to 250 F there is a solid state fuse that trips at or around 194 F.

During a long cook, at many cooking temps I don't think it unreasonable to wonder about this becoming an issue. The info in the article could be outdated, and it's a non issue. The engineers may have come up with a brilliant/clever solution. I guess I'm just easily amused.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/lithium_ion_safety_concerns

This is my first kickstarter campaign to do and I did it primarily for use with my rotisserie. I got tired of probing my chicken breast with my thermapen and seeing all the juice fly out. I am disappointed with the promised delivery date of January 2016 being pushed back to almost a year later, but if it works its well worth the wait. Also, the probes have a line on them that has to be inserted in the meat to the line to protect the internal components. I don't leave for long periods when cooking food, but with the alerts that its approaching a dangerous temp, I'm always close enough by to be home to take care of it. Eventually a product like this will be invented and work flawlessly, but there always has to be a first. Even with limited bluetooth range, the meter block will fix that. I'll hold my judgement until I get the block and test it myself, or see some good reviews of those who have actually gotten the product and done a unbiased test on it.

Pulled the information from their kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom/description

"Safety

When the Meater probe is inserted into the food, the meat acts as a heat insulator protecting the Meater electronics from extreme heat. We’ve miniaturized the Meater components, specified them to withstand the highest internal meat temperature and provide a warning to the user should Meater begin to approach its limits."

"Features

Stainless steel construction
Water resistant design, dustproof, and easy to clean
Wireless up to 33 feet (10 meters): Bluetooth LE connection to your smart device (iOS or Android)
Meater Dual Sensor System
Internal temperature sensor range: 212°F (100°C)
Ambient temperature sensor range: 527°F (275°C)
Rechargeable Battery: Lasts 48 hours or more of continuous cooking between charges"

"What happens when the internal temperature sensor reaches or exceeds the stated 212°F (100°C) maximum specification?

Safety has been our #1 priority from day 1! The sensor maximum temperature of 212°F (100°C) is based on practical cooking temperatures. We designed and chose components for the MEATER probe that can withstand temperatures higher than 212°F (100°C) to allow your smoked meats to hold @ 205°F (96°C). Should at any point, the MEATER probe begin to reach its true maximum temperature, the MEATER app will warn the user and send notifications to all connected smartphones and MEATER Block (if you have one).

Also remember, your meat is completely ruined when it goes beyond 212°F (100°C). It means there is no moisture left at all. It is actually very difficult to do this as temperature tends to stall before the meat becomes completely dry and the temperature starts to rise again."

"Will MEATER’s wireless Bluetooth range of 33ft. (10m) reduce when the MEATER probe is placed inside an oven/grill/smoker?

Bluetooth wireless range varies by type of smartphone used and the type of oven, BBQ, smoker, and obstacles in between. Based on our testing, we feel comfortable with the claimed 33ft. (10m) BLE range. It possibly could be more, but we can't guarantee ranges due to said variables.

We too have needed extended wireless range due to our cooking set up. We knew we had to develop MEATER Link and MEATER Cloud to extend wireless range beyond 33ft. (10m). We built the MEATER Block specifically to give you this capability and keep you connected to your MEATER probes wherever you go."

"Aren't BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens essentially "Faraday Cages" that would significantly reduce the wireless range of the MEATER probe?

In theory, a "Faraday Cage" will block RF signals from entering and exiting the cage. The good news is that BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are not built or designed to be "Faraday Cages."

A good "Faraday Cage" has no gaps, slots, and holes; Are usually made of thick conductive material and designed with as little individual parts/pieces as possible (i.e. every joining edge or corner between materials are spot welded, etc.).

In reality BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are anything but a "Faraday Cage." They have plenty of large air vents and gaps. If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes.

Also, there are a few MEATER backers in the comments section who did their own testing using a Bluetooth speaker to test the effect of their BBQ grill on Bluetooth signal range. They too have found that it made no noticeable difference."

This is my first kickstarter campaign to do and I did it primarily for use with my rotisserie. I got tired of probing my chicken breast with my thermapen and seeing all the juice fly out. I am disappointed with the promised delivery date of January 2016 being pushed back to almost a year later, but if it works its well worth the wait. Also, the probes have a line on them that has to be inserted in the meat to the line to protect the internal components. I don't leave for long periods when cooking food, but with the alerts that its approaching a dangerous temp, I'm always close enough by to be home to take care of it. Eventually a product like this will be invented and work flawlessly, but there always has to be a first. Even with limited bluetooth range, the meter block will fix that. I'll hold my judgement until I get the block and test it myself, or see some good reviews of those who have actually gotten the product and done a unbiased test on it.

Pulled the information from their kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom/description

"Safety

When the Meater probe is inserted into the food, the meat acts as a heat insulator protecting the Meater electronics from extreme heat. We’ve miniaturized the Meater components, specified them to withstand the highest internal meat temperature and provide a warning to the user should Meater begin to approach its limits."

"Features

Stainless steel construction
Water resistant design, dustproof, and easy to clean
Wireless up to 33 feet (10 meters): Bluetooth LE connection to your smart device (iOS or Android)
Meater Dual Sensor System
Internal temperature sensor range: 212°F (100°C)
Ambient temperature sensor range: 527°F (275°C)
Rechargeable Battery: Lasts 48 hours or more of continuous cooking between charges"

"What happens when the internal temperature sensor reaches or exceeds the stated 212°F (100°C) maximum specification?

Safety has been our #1 priority from day 1! The sensor maximum temperature of 212°F (100°C) is based on practical cooking temperatures. We designed and chose components for the MEATER probe that can withstand temperatures higher than 212°F (100°C) to allow your smoked meats to hold @ 205°F (96°C). Should at any point, the MEATER probe begin to reach its true maximum temperature, the MEATER app will warn the user and send notifications to all connected smartphones and MEATER Block (if you have one).

Also remember, your meat is completely ruined when it goes beyond 212°F (100°C). It means there is no moisture left at all. It is actually very difficult to do this as temperature tends to stall before the meat becomes completely dry and the temperature starts to rise again."

"Will MEATER’s wireless Bluetooth range of 33ft. (10m) reduce when the MEATER probe is placed inside an oven/grill/smoker?

Bluetooth wireless range varies by type of smartphone used and the type of oven, BBQ, smoker, and obstacles in between. Based on our testing, we feel comfortable with the claimed 33ft. (10m) BLE range. It possibly could be more, but we can't guarantee ranges due to said variables.

We too have needed extended wireless range due to our cooking set up. We knew we had to develop MEATER Link and MEATER Cloud to extend wireless range beyond 33ft. (10m). We built the MEATER Block specifically to give you this capability and keep you connected to your MEATER probes wherever you go."

"Aren't BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens essentially "Faraday Cages" that would significantly reduce the wireless range of the MEATER probe?

In theory, a "Faraday Cage" will block RF signals from entering and exiting the cage. The good news is that BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are not built or designed to be "Faraday Cages."

A good "Faraday Cage" has no gaps, slots, and holes; Are usually made of thick conductive material and designed with as little individual parts/pieces as possible (i.e. every joining edge or corner between materials are spot welded, etc.).

In reality BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are anything but a "Faraday Cage." They have plenty of large air vents and gaps. If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes.

Also, there are a few MEATER backers in the comments section who did their own testing using a Bluetooth speaker to test the effect of their BBQ grill on Bluetooth signal range. They too have found that it made no noticeable difference."

Thanks. Plausible answers. I'll be interested to see how the product performs once it's in production.

There's always an element of risk/disappointment. For our anniversary last year my wife backed a project for a nugget ice maker. They've run into several delays, but I think they've started shipping now. We were early Tile backers, because my wife forgets where she left her keys daily. When the product finally arrived, I'd completely forgotten about it! Hope you see yours soon.

" If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes."
I disagree

Curious why @woodpelletsmoker has taken up a crusade against Meater. :noidea:

From what I can see, it has gone the way of most small start ups with a good idea. Unexpected manufacturing delays, inexperience with how to run a KS, etc. But I think we should be routing for this to succeed. If he is successful, this is a game changing product. If he is a crook and ultimately fails then prepare the torches and pitchforks. But we are not at that point, yet.
Save

Curious why @woodpelletsmoker has taken up a crusade against Meater. :noidea:

I agree with you - he seems to have a beef with them of some type, otherwise he wouldn't continue to add to this thread. Seems like sour grapes to me.

Agreed.

I raised the Faraday Cage question (post #56) in reaction to @Fwismoker's statemement that " ... Absolutely zero reason the meater wouldn't work." That was the electrical engineer in me talking.

As an experienced manager, I think it is a very low probability that the guy is a crook. I think there is a fairly high probability that he is an optimist, however. You have to be to get into this type of thing and to spend the time and money he spent on models, etc. for the KS campaign.

Back with the engineering hat, there are several things that look very dicey to me. I'll root for him to succeed, but the aforementioned high temperatures for the battery, the Faraday cage issue, etc. look tough. The WiFi repeater is probably a $$ fix for a very short BT range. For the battery, I don't know. As we have been reminded recently, lithium batteries can be dangerous.

So, good luck to him!

A "good" gambler never bets more than they are willing to lose. I kissed my money goodbye when I hit the send button on Paypal.

Scenario 1: When the project is complete and I have what I paid for I will be pleasantly surprised and glad that I helped to bring this product to market.

Scenario 2: I never get what was promised but I already said my goodbyes to that money and my life goes on.

Now, lets all go to Vegas for free cocktails. :wink:

" If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes."
I disagree

Go on then, dazzle us with some science.

Will the gaps and holes be too full of air and smoke to let the bluetooth signal out?

Last edited:

Will the gaps and wholes be too full of air and smoke to let the bluetooth signal out?
Jeez. Please go and lay by your dish until this urge to be nasty passes.

You could also spend some time studying RF field theory, signal transmission theory, and spend some time working with real hardware. That's the science.

Jeez. Please go and lay by your dish until this urge to be nasty passes.

You could also spend some time studying RF field theory, signal transmission theory, and spend some time working with real hardware. That's the science.

My reply was at woodpelletsmoker, not yourself.

His constant digging at Meater, without having any more knowledge than the rest of have about it, stinks of jealousy.

I don't need to know any science at all - I know my phone transmits to a speaker placed in my Weber and vice versa. This is real world testing. (I know testing and measuring is the basis of all science but I'm ignoring that for the moment :-D )

I'd like to know why woodpelletsmoker thinks it doesn't work.

My reply was at woodpelletsmoker, not yourself.

His constant digging at Meater, without having any more knowledge than the rest of have about it, stinks of jealousy.

I don't need to know any science at all - I know my phone transmits to a speaker placed in my Weber and vice versa. This is real world testing. (I know testing and measuring is the basis of all science but I'm ignoring that for the moment :-D )

I'd like to know why woodpelletsmoker thinks it doesn't work.
NOT jealous.
If meater works, I must avoid wasting my time on developing new thermometer.
But if I gave up now, and if finally It proved that meater did not work, I would have wasted my opportunity.
I need an answer.

NOW I am sure none authorities can give it certificate to put BATTERY inside a smoker.

Your test is wrong. You are testing a machine gun to prove a fireworks

Will the gaps and holes be too full of air and smoke to let the bluetooth signal out?
Making this joke simply tells everyone what you are.

#1. bluetooth.
Please read feedback of iGrill on Amazon. It claims effective distance 150' feet. Quite a few blame its short distance. Some say not more than 15' feet. Please note the iGrill is placed OUTSIDE the smoker. Second iGrill uses BIGGER battery.
#2. battery.
None authority can say yes to place battery inside a HOT smoker. The meat protection is not enough for your safety. BET!

... None authority can say yes to place battery inside a HOT smoker. The meat protection is not enough for your safety. BET!
I suggest that you don't take a bet from anyone in the USA. AFIK there are no "authorities" that have to approve a low voltage device like this.

Local jurisdictions and local fire codes typically require that mains voltage devices be tested to an Underwriters Laboratory spec. by a "Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory." This is a hassle and requires costly ongoing factory inspection to ensure that the device being produced matches the one that was tested. That's why manufacturers like to use external power supply bricks and "wall warts." Only the power supply needs approval as the computer is then a low-voltage device. Truth be told, though, few consumers pay attention to UL markings and I am sure that many of the UL-markings on devices coming from outside the USA are bogus.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission gets involved after the fact when a product is suspected of being dangerous. Example: Samsung Galaxy Note7. Other agencies can, but rarely do, get involved. In the case of the Note7 the FAA has stepped in and banned them from commercial aircraft.

So in the USA at least, I think you will lose your bet. AFIK the Meater can be imported and sold without interference from "authorities." Sorry to hear if it is different in PRC.

Making this joke simply tells everyone what you are.

#1. bluetooth.
Please read feedback of iGrill on Amazon. It claims effective distance 150' feet. Quite a few blame its short distance. Some say not more than 15' feet. Please note the iGrill is placed OUTSIDE the smoker. Second iGrill uses BIGGER battery.
#2. battery.
None authority can say yes to place battery inside a HOT smoker. The meat protection is not enough for your safety. BET!

Battery size has no direct impact on transmission distance on low power devices like these. It's all about output power. With the latest BLE SOCs you don't need much capacity for maximum output power, especially when you use case is lasting through a 16 hour smoke.

FYI, a BLE packet transmission in connected mode is <3ms. At +4dBm output power, your peak transmission current is ~15mA. You end up using about 5uA/s per connection event. Assuming Meeter uses the maximum connection interval allowed by IOS, 2s, and their average sleep current is 10uA (a conservative estimate) your battery capacity needed for 24h life is only about 0.3mAh. That's a TINY battery.

woodpelletsmoker...

Agreed. Completely agreed. I'd pull the thread if I were a mod.

Back