Wicked Good BRIQUETTES

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I picked up a bag of Wicked Good Briquettes along with a couple bags of Weekend Warrior Lump at the PNW Eggfest. Kind of spendy, but I thought I'd see if any Brethren out there are using it for low n' slow or prefer it for grilling? I know I could check out the Naked Whiz Charcoal Database for the technical speil, but I value the info I get here!

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WGC-11-WWB

Any thoughts besides how many bags of Rancher I could have bought?

Thanks!
Brian

I used it while on vacation down in Florida with a friend. We built him a UDS and I ordered him the wicked good lump and briquettes. They worked extremely well, and I am really bummed that i can't get them up here or else I would order by the pallet. Barely any ash after 9hrs of cooking for 16lbs of butts, and he still did 3 more cooks on 8lbs of briq's. 5 chickens, 3 racks of ribs since. Hopefully the Basques charcoal I am looking at ordering will be just as good.

I have not used Wicked Good, but I have used Rancher and I'd say that, as long as you're considering quality and care in manufacturing, you could by exactly zero bags of the Rancher because it's scrap trim from construction sites as far as I can tell. It does little to instill confidence that their quality is important to them.

What's that worth?

I'd buy anything but Rancher any day.

I use them and can vouche for their effectiveness. Little ash and longer cooking times. They're basically just ground up hardwood lump (no contruction scraps!) that is formed into briquettes and held together with natural stuff (Randy?? what is used?). I've switched over from water to sand in my smoker and added even longer burns. I actually use less of this brand. i WAS using about three 20 lb. bags of Royal Oak briquettes per contest ($7 each). Now I'm using right around two 11 lb. bags of Wicked Good per contest ($8 each). So I'm actually saving about $5 per contest on charcoal and carrying a lot less along for the ride. Also, I don't really have to get up again til morning once I get the butts and brisket on at 2am.

I get it here in New England.
Good good stuff. Burns slow even. Ash like lump
I bought a bag of Kingdsford, a bag of R.O. lump, and a bag of WG briq's.
At 10 pounds, the WG went longer by 3 hours-I know there are lots of variables I didn't measure, but you really should give this stuff a try if you can get your hands on it.

I prefer WG lump. Long burning, even temp, good service. You can buy it mail order 1 or 3 bags at a time, kind of pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

If anybody is interested PM me I will soon have 22lb bags of the lump for sale(local only)

I like the lump, but being the cheap ba$tard that I am, only use it in the Egg, cuz it lasts forever. I drove @70 miles to get some last Fall, the dealer is opening a new store closer to me, so when everybody is jonesin' for that Rancher this Winter, I'll be sellin it like crack and probably come out ahead!

Brian

I get some from Randy - it's about a block further then HD for me.

I went through about 10 bags of Wicked Good WW blend lump this summer, I love the stuff. Used it for low and slow, high eat, pretty much everything. I would have bought another 10 had I not found rancher at the home depot where nearby where I work. At 2.99 a bag I somehow fit 20 bags into my civic, this should hold me over for a bit now. Can't beat the price and the performance to me is nothing to turn my nose up at.

Once this runs out, it's back to the WG. I still have some WG left around for high heat direct, as have others have mentioned already (maybe not in this thread) the rancher can get a little ashy while cooking. Overall ash production however is lower than Kingsford, it just tends to swirl up on ya which can get a little nasty.

... I have used Rancher and I'd say that, as long as you're considering quality and care in manufacturing, you could by exactly zero bags of the Rancher because it's scrap trim from construction sites as far as I can tell...
I'd buy anything but Rancher any day.
How can you tell what kind of wood is in a briquette? :confused:

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Cowboy lump?

How can you tell what kind of wood is in a briquette? :confused:

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Cowboy lump?

That's what I'm thinking he means. I've never found anything unusual in what little Cowboy I've used.

I may be a little bias, having said that I love the stuff. I'm not sure which I perfer the lump or briquettes. Everyone that I have sold to seems to like and keeps coming back for more.

I picked up a bag of Wicked Good Briquettes along with a couple bags of Weekend Warrior Lump at the PNW Eggfest. Kind of spendy, but I thought I'd see if any Brethren out there are using it for low n' slow or prefer it for grilling? I know I could check out the Naked Whiz Charcoal Database for the technical speil, but I value the info I get here!

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WGC-11-WWB

Thanks!
Brian
Ive used their comp blend lump and love it...very long burn time...
but cant get it no more..havent used the Weekend Warrior lump yet..
as far as the briquettes I finally scored a bag locally but have not used it yet..

I have used the stuff a few times now in a few different situations-Hasty Bake, Kettle, Offset, WSM.
Never seen anything better in briquettes, not even close. You will never want lump in the WSM again. The only down I found is that its not blazing hot on a grill, but it burns so mooth that you get super even coverage
If you can, give it a whirl.

Back