Royal Oak Briquettes... which is better, or are these the same?

thornsbreak

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
McG
Hey guys! Brand new here, and brand new owner of a Pit Barrel Cooker which I've taken for a maiden voyage cooking a pork shoulder, some ribs, a pastrami, some beer brats, and some corn on the cob. Everything but the pastrami turned out world-class (user error on that, I think). Pretty good for an overly ambitious first attempt by a guy who has no idea what he's doing.

I'm on the hunt for the best value fuel for this bbq machine. I was in Walmart and picked up some bags of Royal Oak briquettes. In two versions. The patriotic red white and blue version comes in a two pack of 18 lb bags for $8.88... a total steal if it's any good. The other bag was $7.95 for a 16 lb bag of "All Natural". What's really confusing is that if you read carefully, both bags state that they are 100% all natural. So I'm wondering how these differ, and if you guys have any experience with both of these. I'm tempted to load up on the $8.88 double pack. But not if it sucks! My first cook used the brown bag Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes. Haven't tapped the Premium double bag yet, which also says 100% all natural.

I actually emailed Royal Oak to find out the difference, as well as what differentiates a few other products they make, because I was so confused. Here is the response they sent me:

"Thank you for contacting us. It is always exciting to be included in your grilling experience. Royal Oak specializes in manufacturing charcoal. There is not a difference between the All Natural Hardwood Briquets seen our website and the All Natural Hardwood Briquets seen in Walmart stores. Walmart is running a "Patriotic" promotional campaign with the product this summer. This is the reason for the red, white and blue bags. The Royal Oak Premium Ridge has been discontinued which is why it's no longer featured on our website. However, Royal Oak Chef's Select is currently on our website under Restaurant products as this is mainly sold to restaurant owners. https://www.royaloak.com/product-category/restaurant-products/."

So what is your experience with these products? Any PBC owners care to comment on their performance vs other charcoal you like or prefer? Anyone used both and know if they perform the same?

I really appreciate your experience and insight! If you think these suck, what do you prefer, especially for PBC cooking?

Attachments

• Royal Oak.jpg
    Royal Oak.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 112
Natural good. Blue premium not so good. It’s cheap. Burns fast and not so hot. Tons of ash and unspent coals in my Weber go crumbly and can’t be reused. It’s RO’s worst charcoal and I don’t even think it’s the same a previous years patriotic bagged charcoal. Oh, one other thing. I’ve noticed the white ash from the premium flies all over when I lift the lid if there’s the slightest wind. Almost like there’s paper burning. My next trip to Wally World will be looking to get Bunny’s $8.88 back for one of the twin packs. B&B briqs and lump from Ace and Academy I like and I only have one bag of Weber briqs left from the huge Target hoard from years ago.

Last edited:
It is fine if you are lighting all of it for cooking burgers or something but the worst product I have ever tried for smoking where you add lit coals to unlit coals. It produces a bad taste that way. It also is the fastest burning charcoal I have seen.

It is fine if you are lighting all of it for cooking burgers or something but the worst product I have ever tried for smoking where you add lit coals to unlit coals. It produces a bad taste that way. It also is the fastest burning charcoal I have seen.

I have experienced the exact same thing. It’s a strong chemical flavor. And yes, it burns really fast. The rest of the 40 pound bag I have will not be used for food at all.

I tried the Red, white and blue bags from Walmart and I am not thrilled with it. Like it was said above, I will only use it for grilling, not for smoking, because all of the coals are lit and won't foul up the taste of food. Also as was noted, when I finish cooking and put the lid on to let the coals burn out, they are still in a briquette form when I use the grill again. They disintegrate when I touch them, but I haven't had the regular briquettes that I use, Weber, do that. I like Weber briqs or most any lump for long term smoking.

Welcome aboard. As said above, red, white, and blue bag is not good. I loaded up on it last year thinking it was a great bargain. Used it once in my Bronco and left a funky chemical taste on the meat. Okay for doing burgers or something on the kettle, but for smoking it's a no go. Couldn't wait to use it up. Will not buy again.

I guess that explains why it's $4.50/bag a WallyWord...dammit, that's money wasted.

Back