Loading up the Grocery Cart and headed to Baton Rouge

Thatgrimguy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Bringing 3 cases of pork butts and a few cases of chicken quarters to cook for anyone and everyone who needs it. Coordinating with Salvation army to serve all the volunteers for the next few days! These guys can use any help they can get. I'll post pictures when I get there and start cooking. I know I'm doing lunch tomorrow, probably dinner and then lunch and dinner again the next day. Cook till the coolers run dry.

Awesome on you...taking the new big rig?

My thoughts are are with you and all the people effected by the flooding. I am from New Orleans and know a lot of friends that have been misplaced. My sister was stuck in her house for 4 days. I wish I was able to go down and physically lend a hand. God bless, be safe.

Awesome that you are volunteering your services. Good food and a full belly is much appreciated during this time. :thumb:

Kudos to you, your spirit of volunteerism, and for teaming up to assist the Salvation Army who is already there on site.

no he's taking the small green egg...here's your sign!:laugh:

seriously...really great thing you are doing there.:clap::clap::clap2::clap2:

Paul :tsk: :tsk: He could have other two behind cookers

It's a brand new fancy rig, going to uncharted territory.... I know I wouldn't want to take a chance to have anything raided during the night. :shock:

Now if he can camp out near it with other vendors and such that would be ideal.

Paul :tsk: :tsk: He could have other two behind cookers

It's a brand new fancy rig, going to uncharted territory.... I know I wouldn't want to take a chance to have anything raided during the night. :shock:

Now if he can camp out near it with other vendors and such that would be ideal.

Yeah, I'm taking my Shirley. I won't be letting it out of my sight!! And it's double pinned and safety chained with a double axle now. So, i'm pretty sure i'm safe on the towing side of things.

I just talked to the people at the Salvation Army. I was asked to cook dinner tomorrow for 500. Which I should be able to handle on my 4 rack 24x65 cooker. I have 3 hours of onsite time tomorrow. 1 6x2.5" Carlisle and one deep single carlisle.

I know I can fit 12 butts on a rack and at 7lbs average, that's 252lbs of meat on the bottom 3 racks. That should break out to 500 sandwiches pretty easy. That leaves me with my top rack for 4 pans of beans and the warmer for 4 pans of all beef hotdogs for people who don't eat pork. Maybe I can find a staging area close by to do the overnight cook tonight. I don't have enough cooler space to store 36 butts though. Any advice is helpful.

Any suggestions on sides? I don't have much/any cold storage space left and that will convert to hot storage after cook and before service.

Last edited:
Awesome! Very thoughtful and altruistic of you, Grimguy. You're a good man, sir. Cornbread might work as a side that doesn't need refrigeration.

Godspeed and safe travels.

Slaw with a vinegar based dressing - no mayo. Same for pasta salad - Italian dressing. Green bean or cuke tomato salad with a vinegar oil dressing.
I second the cornbread suggestion.

Back