First Pork Belly

SDAR

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I went to an Asian grocery store to get some hot Asian chili paste to cook with. $95 dollars later and a couple of pork bellies, I made myself leave. The stores that I frequent never have them to my knowledge. Anyway, I cooked one.

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 212
I see that cooked all the time on cooking shows. Yours looks every bit as good as theirs'

Does look mighty fine SDAR, want to share how you did it?

Thanks. I hung it in The Pit Barrel Cooker. I really didn't know when to pull it other than I wanted it buttery soft. I hung until around 175 internal and then pulled it to lay it on the grate. I was afraid it was going to fall on the coals. I cut through the skin about every inch to get rub to the meat (and fat) underneath. It was real tender around 190, so I put some sauce on it. I burned the sauce a little when the smoker heated up between pulling it, saucing it, turning it to sauce the other side etc. It didn't burn too bad but I wanted a little better color on the bark.

I learned though and have another shot at it. Probably soon.

I make a lot of bacon but never did a whole slab. After I saw this I believe it's definitely in the near future. Keep us posted on your next one......yummy!

I make a lot of bacon but never did a whole slab. After I saw this I believe it's definitely in the near future. Keep us posted on your next one......yummy!

Thanks. I actually expected it to sort of taste like bacon. It wound up tasting like a really savory, really rich rib. That may be because I basically cooked it like I do my ribs...without a wrap and no brown sugar though.

Come to think of it, a wrap with brown sugar and hot chili paste would probably be great!

Looks great, love me some smoked pork belly.

I hate you right now................... In a good way!

How do you clean lick marks off the monitor?

You did good, sure could go for some of that about now.

Lookin' mighty fine over in Amarillo!

I need do give this a shot in the near term...

Back