Need Shipping Options For My Upcoming Shirley Build

If your pit is a patio model then the best option is an LTL carrier like South Eastern Freight, SWMT or Estes. LTL carriers will pick up your smoker at the shop and deliver it to your driveway. Request a lift gate service if its going to your home, if you can have it delivered to a location with a loading dock or forklift delivery will be cheaper. Ask your builder for Exact dimensions and weights as these details factor into the price, have them put it on a pallet for you, if its a pit on a trailer U ship will be your way to go.

Uship isn't bad, a fella I know does it when he travels. depending on the amount of loads, you could get a good price, just insure it heavily with whoever you use.

I had a patio model on golf cart wheels. Got concerned about hauling it with a trailer. Switched it to a trailer model. Pick it up next month. 958 miles one way. I will drive down and back in a 36 hour window.

Suck it up buttercup and make the drive. HAHA. Just kidding.

For us it was an 1,100 mile trip each way to Tuscaloosa and I will say that meeting the Shirley team was the best.
A road trip is always great if you can swing it and the hospitality was superb!
Congrats on joining the Shirley Family.

Greyhound to Bama U-Haul it back

From Chandler AZ to my house is 18 hrs non stop I've done it many times "T" town to my house is 14 hrs

I thought about doing a one-way trip, but apparently renting a uhaul in AL and driving it to AZ runs $1150 for a 15' truck with an EZ Load ramp. So that's a no go.

If your pit is a patio model then the best option is an LTL carrier like South Eastern Freight, SWMT or Estes. LTL carriers will pick up your smoker at the shop and deliver it to your driveway. Request a lift gate service if its going to your home, if you can have it delivered to a location with a loading dock or forklift delivery will be cheaper. Ask your builder for Exact dimensions and weights as these details factor into the price, have them put it on a pallet for you, if its a pit on a trailer U ship will be your way to go.

Using the lowest freight class of 50 and an estimate of 1300lbs (I saw this in the other thread) the LTL estimators are coming in at $1500. It's about $2500 if I use a class of 92.5 or 100 which (from the descriptions) sounds like a more likely classification.

Just a Suggestion call Landstar in JAX Fl. and have them put it up as an LTL / partial load on the flatbed load boards. the rates where cheaper. I used to get LTL loads from them to fill my trailer or build a whole trailer of LTL. freight when I got stuck in a low freight area to get me back to a good area. on the final drop.

My Shirley was about $1000 to Southern California about a year and 1/2 ago. Fuel prices are down, it might be better now. I used Craters and Freighters out of Tuscaloosa.
Note: A standard lift gate will not work. They showed up to my house and realized there was no way it was going to fit on the lift gate. They had to find another truck with an oversized lift gate and even that was a challenge. Even with the oversized lift gate it had to be un-crated in the the truck first to roll out on to the lift.

20140521_094957_zps428aeaac.jpg

My Shirley was about $1000 to Southern California about a year and 1/2 ago. Fuel prices are down, it might be better now. I used Craters and Freighters out of Tuscaloosa.
Note: A standard lift gate will not work. They showed up to my house and realized there was no way it was going to fit on the lift gate. They had to find another truck with an oversized lift gate and even that was a challenge. Even with the oversized lift gate it had to be un-crated in the the truck first to roll out on to the lift.

It seems like maybe SF would be able to make a deal with Craters and Freighters. Just makes sense.

It's just time for Paul to open a West location. lol

Thanks palmtreefrb. I saw Bigr314 also used Caters and Freighters in Tuscaloosa, and both of you sounded real pleased with their work. I'll have to give them a call when I get the cooker specs from Tyler.

Maybe there is a retired or unemployed Brethren in the area who might be willing to help you out? Long shot but you never know with Brethren!

I spoke to Thomas from Craters & Freighters in Tuscaloosa today and he's going to get me a quote to get it out to a nearby depot here in the area. He mentioned that he hasn't been able to get a consistent resource for delivering these smokers when liftgate service is required at the delivery point because once crated up these things are as long as the liftgate is wide.

He's going to try and get me a quote for getting it from the depot to my house as well and I'm going to check around locally, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to better handle it?

I'm thinking that maybe with the additional cost of getting it ferried from the depot to the house and dropped off the money may be better spent upgrading my smoker to a trailer and then just having them uncrate it at the depot so I can pick it up there and drive it home.

Upgrading to a trailer is never a bad thing.. What about renting a Uhaul Trailer and picking it up from the depot?

Ever drive a forklift (it actually isn't as easy as it looks, but, one can learn the basics in 15 minutes)? Maybe have it delivered and you rent a forklift and off load it yourself

Upgrading to a trailer is never a bad thing.. What about renting a Uhaul Trailer and picking it up from the depot?

I thought of renting a U-Haul trialer back when I was thinking about driving out to get it, but they didn't allow one way rentals. Thanks for reminding me.

It looks like I could rent a 5' x 9' Utility trailer with Ramp for $25. Another $25 for the 7500lb ball mount and ball and I should be good to go.

Open5x9RampMedium.png

Last edited:
I made the drive from Denver in April. Stopped in KC, St Louis, and Memphis for some Q. Had a great time. You could go through Texas...Mmmmm!

Well, if you are a NASCAR fan just plan the pilgrimage to Talladega and christen it in the hallowed red mud of Talladega baby! Late October is a great time to be there. If you are not a NASCAR fan, one trip will make you a fan for life. :thumb:

Well, if you are a NASCAR fan just plan the pilgrimage to Talladega and christen it in the hallowed red mud of Talladega baby! Late October is a great time to be there. If you are not a NASCAR fan, one trip will make you a fan for life. :thumb:

I've never been, but we have two NASCAR races a year here at the Phoenix International Raceway which is about 5 miles from my house so I really do need to get over there someday and give it a try.

Back