Meat Grinder attachment

B-boy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Looking into making my own sausages and I am wondering if anyone has experience with the kitchenaid meat grinder attachment? All those plastic pieces make me nervous in terms of durability. Alternatively ordering an all SS attachment is 3-4 times the price so I am unsure if the cost outweighs the benefit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I been using the KA for a few years. I usually grind around 5 to 9 pounds at time. Works good but I think I will be upgrading to a dedicated grinder for around $100

i've been using mine since xmas 2013. usually do about 10lbs at a time, don't have much of an issue with it, everything works wel and has held up ok. I also have used it to make my own ground beef as well. It's fine for me at this time.

My Kitchenaid grinder is maybe 20 years old.
I use regularly [but maybe not frequently] to make sausage, and grind meat for hamburgers, etc.
Mostly just a few pounds at a time-5 or so.
It has held up very well.
One thing:
Never put parts that are made of both plastic and metal in the dishwasher.

I've found that the holes are too small. They're okay for breakfast sausage and pate, but I would recommend a bigger dedicated grinder for anything else.

I've found that the holes are too small. They're okay for breakfast sausage and pate, but I would recommend a bigger dedicated grinder for anything else.

You can buy replacement plates for the Kitchen Aid with bigger holes on Amazon. I haven't done it, but I plan to.

Thanks Sweet Daddy-D, I did not know that. That could make all the difference.:shock:

The kitchen aid works. Its not going to bowl you over or anything. I've used mine to make loads of sausages. Still works ok. Its slow, and will test your patience for sure. I do intend on buying a dedicated grinder, as this feels like a temporary solution for me...

If you think its something you're going to be using a lot, you won't regret buying a good grinder. If its just a once in a while type implement, the KA will get it done for you.

Also, DO NOT try to stuff sausage with that grinder... its bad. A good stuffer is a must. I love my LEM 5lb vertical. Makes it sooooo easy.

I've been using mine since a dedicated grinder finally burned out. It's OK, certainly a good deal for the price. But I miss the coarser "wagon wheel" plate, the extra speed, the reverse setting, and I also use a grinder for making tamales, so I've got a new dedicated grinder on its way to me now. It's also got the usual stuffer attachment and tubes; the KA worked OK on a recent batch of sausages, but I'm hoping the new rig will do even better.

I use the grinder attachement to grind my brisket trimmings into hamburger. It works. not very fast, gotta cut the pieces small and keep them cold but when your only talking about a few lbs at a time, its not a big deal. No chance in hell Id try to use it to grind anything for a serious batch of sausage though.

The kitchen aid works. Its not going to bowl you over or anything. I've used mine to make loads of sausages. Still works ok. Its slow, and will test your patience for sure. I do intend on buying a dedicated grinder, as this feels like a temporary solution for me...

If you think its something you're going to be using a lot, you won't regret buying a good grinder. If its just a once in a while type implement, the KA will get it done for you.

Also, DO NOT try to stuff sausage with that grinder... its bad. A good stuffer is a must. I love my LEM 5lb vertical. Makes it sooooo easy.

I just blew $10 on the KA sausage stuffer its junk, Will be buying a LEM vertical soon. Works ok for grinding meat my plates are ss. I put eveything in the freezer before I use it & have your meat almost frozen feeds much better.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Great, thanks for the feedback everyone. As I am new to the ground meat game I guess I will pull the trigger on one and if it isn't quite what I was hoping for I will look into alternatives.

I've been using mine since a dedicated grinder finally burned out. It's OK, certainly a good deal for the price. But I miss the coarser "wagon wheel" plate, the extra speed, the reverse setting, and I also use a grinder for making tamales, so I've got a new dedicated grinder on its way to me now. It's also got the usual stuffer attachment and tubes; the KA worked OK on a recent batch of sausages, but I'm hoping the new rig will do even better.

How do you use the grinder for making tamales? For the masa or the filling?

How do you use the grinder for making tamales? For the masa or the filling?

The masa is mixed by hand, the filling goes through the grinder (cooked meat, onions, garlic, chilies, some of the broth to keep things loose). Some times, I process the non-meat parts in a blender, but even when I do that, I make sure some of that stuff goes through the grinder with the meat.

The kitchenaid works well, as long as you do smaller batches... I tried to do a 20# batch and almost burned my kitchenaid up!! I spent the money on a 3/4 hp commercial grinder and dont regret the cost at all!! Although, as stated before in this thread, I am planning on spending a little more and getting a dedicated vertical stuffer... Used one last time, did 25# in less time than 10# used to take me... Worth every penny IF you plan to make a bunch each year, if all you want to do is 4 or 5 lbs at a time... The kitchenaid works well enough!!! Hope I helped... G

Same as the others - for grinding meat - works just fine.. 10-20 pounds, no problem...
the sausage stuffer attachment is completely useless (I found out via painful experience)
I got the LEM vertical stuffer - it is outstanding.

Back