Requesting Input (sausage)

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
So, I have been making sausage for 20 years. I think I am pretty decent at it. The problem I have had is that I used to make big batches (20-40 lbs) at a time. It was always a big to-do and I didn't do it very often. I have a #32 grinder, a 20 lb mixer, and a 11 lb stuffer. Every time I made sausage it was an event. My grinder weighs 60 lbs all by itself.

I recently got the metal grinder attachment for my KitchenAid and discovered that making 5lb batches is no big deal. The grinder works great and I can use the mixer to make the batter. Then I use my stuffer at 1/2 capacity. Clean-up is a breeze.

I am not planning to get rid of the big grinder or mixer, but I'll save them for our neighborhood Oktoberfest.

The other benefit to small batches is that it allows for experimentation. My Bacon, Hatch Chile, Cheddar sausage is my most recent example.

I have about 10 established sausage recipes that I used to make in quantity, but now I can (and want) to experiment with new ones.

My Hatch Chile sausage wiped out my high-temp cheddar. This time I ordered high-temp mozzarella. I have a few ideas, but I would like the Brethren's input. Here are my thoughts:

Idea #1: Tuscan Sausage
Pork
Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Fresh Basil
High-temp Mozzarella
Fennel
(maybe Walnuts???)

Idea #2 Pizza Sausage
Pork
Ground Pepperoni
V-8 juice
High-temp Mozzarella

Idea #3 Cheesy Italian
Cheesy Italian Sausage
Regular Italian Sausage
+ High-temp Mozzarella

I welcome the Brethren's input on my next batch.

You make sense. I've been making sausage 4 a while. My equipment is set for a 5 # batch. With small batches, when I fail it's not a big deal.

All of your recipes look good.

Last edited:
@Stingerhook & @JRDINCC - Y'all aren't helping. I am, asking for opinions on what you'd like to see me make.

I'd try the pizza first.

Some thoughts on what you listed:

Tuscan- don't do the walnuts, too hard even when fine chopped

Pizza- maybe substitute jarred pizza sauce or your own for the v-8 and add either chopped onions or bell peppers or both

Cheesy Italian- maybe add some grated parmesan and fennel and minced garlic. Consider a hot alternative by adding red pepper flakes or whatever heat you want

I was thinking boudin, but noticed NOVA via NOLA, how about something with traditional oriental or egg roll ingredients, seafood has always sounded interesting but never had any that was outstanding, or something really out of the wheelhouse....dessert sausage?

I did a batch of Italian with high temp mozzarella and then ran through on the 2nd grind about a cup or two of hot giardinera. People love that one. I keep getting requests for it.

Thanksgiving dinner sausage(s).
Turkey/potato/cranberry; pumpkin/sweet potato/bread pudding

Always wanted to do a 3 course sausage meal where everything is encased, even dessert.
I too do big batches so it's not that frequent at all that I make them.

I recently got the metal grinder attachment for my KitchenAid and discovered that making 5lb batches is no big deal. The grinder works great and I can use the mixer to make the batter. Then I use my stuffer at 1/2 capacity. Clean-up is a breeze.

The other benefit to small batches is that it allows for experimentation. My Bacon, Hatch Chile, Cheddar sausage is my most recent example. I have about 10 established sausage recipes that I used to make in quantity, but now I can (and want) to experiment with new ones. My Hatch Chile sausage wiped out my high-temp cheddar. This time I ordered high-temp mozzarella. I have a few ideas, but I would like the Brethren's input. Here are my thoughts:

Bingo. I've used a KA grinder for decades and even a 30# batch will take around 30 minutes to grind. I do have a second set of plates so I can make chili grind or very fine grind for hot dogs or bologna.

New sausage flavors seem to mirror some of the jerky flavors that came on the scene a few years ago. For some great ideas, check out Walton's sausage flavors. Many interesting brat and fresh sausage ideas. For example, Chicago Dog, Supreme Pizza, or Philly Steak Brat seasonings.

It sounds like you are experienced in formulating a sausage recipe, but if you are going to be playing with different spices, THIS is a good page with suggested amounts for many spices. I refer to it when trying to reverse engineer a particular sausage.

Hey thirdeye,

Yeah, I'm not a noob, but thanks for those links. They're great. The meatsandsausages one in particular.

In the past, I would make large batches of a single sausage, but my new approach is it make small batches of different sausages more frequently.

David

Do any of you do the cured sausage/peperoni?
I've always done fresh: polish, brat, italian.
Question is about the thermal cycling?
Stage 1 - 125F for 1 hour
Stage 2 - 140F for 1 hour
Stage 3 - 155F for 2 hours
Stage 4 - 175F until internal meat temp of 160F

Sorry for the slight divergence; I blame thirdeye for the Walton's link. (Thanks)

In the smoker? I think I'd only be able to do this in the fall to hold them so low.
Just wondering if I'm missing something.

I'm in the same position as the OP. I have equipment setup for 30 lbs at a time. And it is always a big event to grind/stuff/smoke 60 lbs at a time of bologna or sticks. Two batches...me and my son.

To expirement with recipes and the need for an occasional small batch, I recently bought a grinder for my KA stand mixer and a 5 lbs stuffer. Much more manageable.

Question for you guys (and gals) that use curing salt:

When adding Cure #1, do you deduct the amount from your regular salt?

For instance, if you normally use 2% salt, would you drop to 1.75% if you were adding .25% Cure #1 to remain at 2% total salt content?

They all look great as is. Maybe pine nuts instead of walnuts on the Tuscan. Pine nuts are pricey, but might be worth it in a small batch. On the pizza, maybe good quality marinara or good quality tomato paste along with a lesser quantity of the V8? Just a thought.

That boudin looks amazing!

Bob

Back