Should I go with a insulated firebox on a sf or not

SmokinRS1

Reaction score
I have a SF trailer model on order and wondering if the insulated firebox is a overkill since I live in Texas. Also if anyone with a SF trailer model that has a insulated fb can tell me the distance they have from the ground to the bottom of the fb. I am concerned of bottoming out on a speed bump.

Two advantages I guess would be not have a real out outside on firebox and I would think it would be more fuel efficient.

I went through this same dilemma...I ended up ordering this option

You probably don't need it but if it works within the budget why not, plus you will be ready for the next ice age.

I do not have one on my Shirley. Works great. That's just me.

My LSG vertical offset firebox is insulated. I added it mainly to help keep my grandchildren from burning their fingers in the event they touched it. It still gets pretty warm but at least they would still have the skin on their fingers.

Maybe more fuel efficient but I have nothing to compare it to. This is my first offset.

My insulated FB is 9" from the ground when level.

No I cook on my sf once or twice a week in snow ice below zero windchills never had a problem my rig works great

For me the insulated fb isn't about performance. It's about keeping the cooker looking good. Paint will last longer and I think resale value will be higher. I also wanted to have no regrets.

For me the insulated fb isn't about performance. It's about keeping the cooker looking good. Paint will last longer and I think resale value will be higher. I also wanted to have no regrets.

"Resale" would mean you'd ever entertain selling it? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Resale" would mean you'd ever entertain selling it? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my current pit, but I mean I never stop planning my next SF build myself :-D. Looking forward to #3, #4, #10, etc :loco:

I guess the actual question would / should be is, IS there actually ANY down side to an insulated FB??? Would there be any taste difference in the food from it being so much more efficient and burning less wood?

If No actual down side, then it would pretty much be about the money at that point. Like said above "have No regrets" if money is no issue.

You probably don't need it but if it works within the budget why not, plus you will be ready for the next ice age.

Pretty much this. No you don't need it, but if you want it and it's in your budget then why not!

But!...................since you are in a warmer client and really don't need it, I'd say make sure you consider all the other upgrades you could get for the cost of that insulated box that you might use more. If those are checked off your list then fire away on the insulated.

If you have the budget for an insulated firebox, get it! Helps with wood consumption and the firebox is a little safer as far as small rugrats are concerned. My FB ground clearance is between 8-9 inches so speed bumps shouldn't be an issue.

if I was living in Texas I would not buy it unless you had little kids running around but it still gets hot enough to burn you .

If you can afford it, go for it. There is no downside to an insulated firebox.

But you spend most of the year fighting 100 deg outside temps, if you cook a lot in the winter and I mean winter like my winter then yes that would be a good option. Otherwise an extra Grand or so would be better spent buying fuel. IMHO,

They really are a great upgrade, even in Texas. You will save a lot in fuel over the life of the cooker, it will stay looking nice on the outside, and it is really nice not having to worry about anyone getting burnt on the sides of the firebox. If you have the money, I'd get it.

I live in New England so the insulated FB was a must have for me. I even takled to Tyler about insulating the entire warmer also but it just wasn't cost effective.

In your case, if you have it in your budget then by all means get it, if for the safety aspect alone.

my only regret was not getting the insulated fire box. Don't get me wrong it's a great cooker without it. I just think it would have saved some money having it during the spring and winter comps. and cooks.

Back