How Long Can I Keep BBQ Sauce

jeffreywp1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a couple of bottles of mustard based sauce I made with a little butter in it from 2 months ago and some shack sauce. How long is it good?

How long would you keep each of the ingredients separately?

most sauces freeze well

It takes no longer time to make a big load of BBQ sauce as a smaller batch so when I put together my 'go to' sauce, I fill air tight containers and pop them in the freezer. Then I can just yank out a liter at a time and never have any go rank or funky. I don't use butter in my sauce but I think that freezes ok even if you do. Mine is more of a Kansas style tomato based sauce with molasses, hot sauce and ketchup - dried herbs, spices and honey and I put that ^((&)T% on everything.

I keep it until it is gone be it 1 day or 1 decade, Shack sauce can't spoil there is so much vinegar in it the nasties die with in 1 foot of the bottle. As long as most sauces are kept in a cool place and out of direct sunlight and it has a decent acid content your good for 6 months easy. There is another solution EAT MORE BBQ!

I can mine. Fill jar and leave 1" headspace. I then process pints for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath. Keeps on the shelf for as long as I can keep it on hand. My freezer space is too valuable for meat and game.

How long would you keep each of the ingredients separately?

The butter is the only thing that concerns me. Just Googled it and by itself, its good for 1 month past the date. But with the addition of mustard and vinegar, would that extend that. The ratio is 1 cup of mustard, 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to 2 tbs of butter.

I keep it until it is gone be it 1 day or 1 decade, Shack sauce can't spoil there is so much vinegar in it the nasties die with in 1 foot of the bottle. As long as most sauces are kept in a cool place and out of direct sunlight and it has a decent acid content your good for 6 months easy. There is another solution EAT MORE BBQ!

I knew the Shack sauce would be good. I mentioned it because I made it at the same time as the mustard sauce. Both sauces are in the fridge.

I'd think you could do the smell/taste test, but I bet itd keep quite a while before spoiling.

You need too have more BBQ , mine doesn't stay around long enough to go bad... and why do you need a sauce for your 'Cue" , mine stands alone with the taste I want. Sauce is for matures IMHO!

Have fun and keep it Blue...

Butter spoils in the fridge? I have kept butter for LONG periods and never seen it spoil....

Test it on a co-worker or in-law that you're not real fond of.

You need too have more BBQ , mine doesn't stay around long enough to go bad... and why do you need a sauce for your 'Cue" , mine stands alone with the taste I want. Sauce is for matures IMHO!

Have fun and keep it Blue...

Your reply contradicts itself. You say your Cue stands on its own, yet your sauce doesn't stick around long enough to go bad:confused: I have the opposite problem. :mrgreen:

I will likely throw it out. Not because I think it is bad, but the 2 bottles i have left over is not enough for this weekend and i will be making more anyhow.

Don't throw it out, use it as a starter for the new batch. My homemade sauce has a lot of butter in it, and I have kept it in the fridge upwards of 4 months before. It was in a sealed container and it was as good as it was when I made it after I re heated it. Its like spaghetti sauce and chili, it gets better with age.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

Butter spoils in the fridge? I have kept butter for LONG periods and never seen it spoil....

I'd think the bigger issue is that butter can absorb odors over time. Spoilage? Not that I've ever seen...or at least noticed.

Don't throw it out, use it as a starter for the new batch. My homemade sauce has a lot of butter in it, and I have kept it in the fridge upwards of 4 months before. It was in a sealed container and it was as good as it was when I made it after I re heated it. Its like spaghetti sauce and chili, it gets better with age.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

I have mine stored in the plastic squeeze bottles with no cap on the tip. I still think it is good but i feel funny about putting it out for others. It is a boiled sauce so i could re boil it with the new batch.

I'm keeping the 2 left over bottles and made 11/2 gallons for this weekend. I will likely have another bottle or 3 left over.

Now to add to the 2 bottles of left over mustard sauce from a couple of months ago. I have another 3/4 gallon jug to go with it. I did 14 butts and 1 1/2 gallons of sauce and consumed 9 butts and only half the sauce.

Back