need boneless wing advice

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am making my first wings on my smoker this afternoon. I'm making bone in for myself because that's what I prefer but my kids like boneless wings. I live in a small area and I'm having a hard time finding unseasoned boneless wings in any of the stores. Are they just chicken nuggets that are coated with sauce or can you make some out of chicken breast that you cut into chunks season smoke and then spin in your favorite sauce and throw back on the smoker? I'm heading to the next town to check out the Walmart grocery section so if anybody has any quick advice for me I would appreciate it. Thanks

I'm sure I know nothing is this is my first attempt at wings lol. But it isn't anything I find in the store that may be breaded going to be pre cooked? I obviously want something raw that I'm going to cook myself.

Cut the breasts into chunks yourself and proceed.
Just be careful, the breast meat will cook faster than bone-in wings, and will dry out.

Cut the breasts into chunks yourself and proceed.
Just be careful, the breast meat will cook faster than bone-in wings, and will dry out.

so they will still turn out good even though they're not breaded and fried?

If it were me, I would do them like kettle fried chicken - give it some batter and toss them on the grill. If you just sauce up cubed skinless chicken breast it will taste like sauced skinless chicken breasts, not wings.

well I may have rushed in haste to ask this question lol. I told my son I wasn't sure if I could find any boneless wings and he said that's okay dad I'll eat bone in lol. So I've got 2 bags of bone in drummies and wings. I'm going to experiment with two types of homemade mango habanero sauce for myself and the kid and the wife are just going to get some store brand barbecue sauce glazed on theirs. I swear if you put a pinch of cayenne or anything like that they think it's too hot lol I'll try to take pictures and if I come up with a winner I'll give you guys my recipe haha more to come later

Last edited:
I make chicken BBQ nuggets using chicken thigh chunks, you get 3 to 4 per thigh, marinate then grill in a basket. I prefer thighs as they stay more moist. If you have a grill basket or frogmat, you can sauce and set the sauce as well, they taste great.

I cube boneless breast, bread and fry and it turns out great. Hard to believe a place like bw3 charges so much money for doing the same when I can do it at home for so cheap. I'm curious how bread ing them and cooking on the grill turns out so please let us know

Well here goes. As I said my son changed his mind on the boneless/bone in preference so I bought 2 bags of bone in wings. I have always been a massive fan of Buffalo Wild Wings mango habanero sauce. It is the best on the planet in my opinion. So I set out to create my own from some recipes I found on the web. Here is my sauce I am using tonight. I am not sure yet how I will like it till I try it on the finished product and not on my fingertip. I am not sure it is anywhere as hot as the stuff I crave (I have personally sat down 2 times and ate an order of their hottest sauce they got blazin or wild?? can't remember). I couldn't find any habaneros anywhere so I had to improvise. Maybe next time I will substitute real habaneros and leave out the cayenne and Mazzettas. Most also call for corn syrup instead of honey. That's my substitution as I love honey on BBQ. It also tastes a little buttery. Most the recipes I found that claimed to be clones said to use this much butter. I am not sure what the butter is even for or if I like it. I will wait till I have a plate of them in front of me tonight and then judge.

1 mango chopped, peeled and pitted
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup Franks original sauce
6 tbsp Mazzetta habanero sauce
1/3 cup butter
2 diced jalepenos (seeds and placentas intact)
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup Dole pineapple juice
1/8 tsp cayenne

I used a blender to puree everything to a liquid then I simmered on stove for 10 minutes or so to melt the butter. I am not sure if it will be a hit with myself or not but I will see. If anyone has a better recipe that will duplicate BWW recipe I would appreciate it lol.

Seasoned on the UDs with JB Fatboy's sweet rub

Last edited:
I use to love going to bw3 but now i refuse to pay $1 for a pigeon wing. Even raw wings are outrageous in price. Glad your son seen the light, ive never seen a store bought boneless wing (chicken nugget) i like. Gonna have to try that sauce the mango habenero is stellar.

I use to love going to bw3 but now i refuse to pay $1 for a pigeon wing. Even raw wings are outrageous in price. Glad your son seen the light, ive never seen a store bought boneless wing (chicken nugget) i like. Gonna have to try that sauce the mango habenero is stellar.

I will post soon how it tastes on a wing that has been sitting in smoke. I may have to change a few things but it is too early to tell yet.

Here we go. The ones on the left are with my mango habanero sauce and then ones on the right are with JB's Fat Boy's Sticky Stuff.

Cory,Cory,Cory, there is no such ting as a "boneless chicken wing" it's a marketing scheme to use up little chunks of that they don't want to pitch. It's like "microwaveable"
What you want to make the young'n is chicken fingers. Slice boneless (yes these exist) skinless chicken breasts into pieces and dunk in egg wash then in seasoned flour and pan fry in 1/2" hot oil till brown. You'll be king of his world.
Ed

Final results.....taste excellent but heat is nowhere near what bww is. I may need to go straight habanero peppers next time.

For next time

Alright, I have definitely done some serious experimenting with wings this year (I feel sorry for my belts, they had no idea what they were getting into).

I have used this recipe for buffalo wild wings garlic hot sauce and it turned out pretty damn good (to be honest, never tried the original):
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Buffalo-Wild-Wings-Spicy-Garlic-Sauce-Recipezaar For a bit more "burn", add a few dashes of tabasco. If you're after the peppery flavour, then go the habanero route/

Regardlng boneless chicken wings, I don't know what that means ;) Get them on the bone-in variety and it'll save a few bucks as a treat every now and then.

A few little things I learned over time:
- Dry every wing with paper towel before cooking, helps crisp them up
- I cook them indirect on a weber kettle, but try and max out the temperature of the coals (bottom vent fully open, lid vent open, and will slightly offset lid making a small opening on the indirect side to get the air flowing through the wings more directly.
- Put wings in a bowl, drizzle sauce over them and toss them around to coat the wings

The result is a tasty wing, with a crispy texture that can even be mistaken for fried.

Hope this helps! Would love to hear other ideas.
wings.jpg

Nice! I did that already minus the weber kettle. I tossed my wings in Tupperware with lids to coat them. I am doing bone in from here on out. Screw boneless anything lol. I just need to get my habanero sauce perfected. This time I coated wings when fully cooked and crispy then put back in smoke for another 20-25 minutes. This baked on my glaze so they didn't have the wet look and texture of ww. They probably microwave theirs then coat with sauce. I am not sure if next time I should pull wings from smoker and then coat and put on plate or do it again like I did this time.

My personal preference is to toss with sauce after fully cooked (always leaning towards less, rather than too much). But I love pretty much all methods, are you leaning towards trying to get that sauced taste, but not a saucy wing (sauce flavour, not saucy)? That is definitely a challenge without a fryer but I nailed down a method for that which I will gladly dig up and post it if that's what you're going for. It's definitely not perfect, but maybe it will help. Let me know what the end goal is, maybe a photo if you can dig one up and maybe I can share some of my experiments. I definitely dedicated many days to chicken wings this past summer haha.

I don't mind having a saucy coating. That doesn't bother me at all. I just need to get my flavor down. I thought this time when I put them back on the smoker and the sauce baked on it got kinda dry although it still had good flavor.

You can also use boneless thighs for chicken nuggets.

so you smoked them, sauced them, then put them back in the smoker to finish the cook? I have to try that! I'll let you know how it works out. Next time you do some wings, throw up a photo.

Back