Help, Ice Bath? 5 Briskets

Smokin' Greene

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am cooking 5 briskets. They are for a company Christmas lunch Dec 12th. This is the only day I have to do it. I want to cool them down in a ice bath, but I have never done this. I understand a cooler of ice water, but do I cook fully or just cook about 5 hours pull, ice bath, then freeze? Thanks

You would cook until done, then flash cool. Depending on how you plan to reheat would depend on if you freeze whole or sliced. If it were me, I would cook, rest, slice, fast chill and freeze with the au jus. When time to serve, reheat sealed bags in hot water, then serve in the au jus

You definitely want to fully cook them. After they are done let them rest for a good while with the foil open to air out and let off as much heat as possible. Once they have cooled a bit, wrap them individually in heavy aluminum foil as tight as possible. Then cool them down as quickly as you can to 40 degrees or so (the lower the better). Then freeze them. Make note not to cut into them or cut them up.

Once they are cooled down, place them in your freezer. You will want to defrost them in your fridge which will take a few days so make sure to factor this into the time for prep before Dec 12th. About 5-6hrs before you are ready to serve them warm them up in a 265 - 285 degree oven. Once they have reached an internal temp of 165 you are ready to go. Just remember to rest them for a good hour wrapped up before slicing. They should be very close to as good as when you first cooked them.

Good luck and have fun at your party.

You would cook until done, then flash cool. Depending on how you plan to reheat would depend on if you freeze whole or sliced. If it were me, I would cook, rest, slice, fast chill and freeze with the au jus. When time to serve, reheat sealed bags in hot water, then serve in the au jus

If you don't freeze the slices in the Au Jus, make sure you save it in the frig and put a cup or so in the bags right before you heat them up.

I will reheat, on the smoker, the morning of the lunch at work.

I will reheat, on the smoker, the morning of the lunch at work.

Nice - follow the same as I posted above but with your smoker and uncover them about an hour before letting them rest so the bark forms up a bit.

I use a smoker to warm mine back up and it works very well.

Back