Freezing the Hatch Chile?

Vacum Pack or Just Freezer Bagged?

• Vacum Pack Those Precious Things

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Throw in a Freezer Baggie, Won't Last Long Anyways :)

Votes: 21 52.5%

• Total voters

FattyMcFatty

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last year was my first time, and will be getting more this year. I vacuum packed about 4 per pack last time and they didn't last long :twitch: So, this year I am getting enough to hopefully last me a good bit longer, but curious how most of ya'll store your Hatch Chiles?

Roast. Sometimes I peel, sometimes I don't. Freeze 8-10 laying flat in zip lock bag. I always have at least one thawing in the fridge ready to go. By the time the season is over I will have 45-60 bags in freezer. I will buy 20-25# roasted at a vendor, then I get selective buying the bigger-meatier more colorful chiles and roast them over coals myself.

Last edited:
Roast. Sometimes I peel, sometimes I don't. Freeze 8-10 laying flat in zip lock bag. I always have at least one thawing in the fridge ready to go. By the time the season is over I will have 45-60 bags in freezer. I will buy 20-25# roasted at a vendor, then I get selective buying the bigger-meatier more colorful chiles and roast them over coals myself.

I knew I could count on you :becky:

I didn't really want to mess with vacuum packing so many if I could just throw them in a zip lock baggie and roll with it. :icon_smile_tongue:

I roasted 25 lbs and skinned, seeded and put about 10+ into zip locks and into the freezer.
Bags were all just slightly over 1 lb. ea. I will probably remove most of them from zip locks and vac seal them for longer storage because I will probably get some more as the season winds down. The batch I just did was a medium but I need some higher heat chilies just for my personal stash. :thumb:

I put them in quart freezer bags unpeeled and stack 'em in there. I've been doing this for at least fifty years, never had a problem.

Yep, just zip lock. Lasts until next year in the freezer. Oh, I freeze them with the char still on and just peel them as I use them.

Canning does not require the deep freeze and reusable jars.

Yep, just zip lock. Lasts until next year in the freezer. Oh, I freeze them with the char still on and just peel them as I use them.

^^^ +1...Froze a whole case last year after roasting and keeping skins on. Once you open up just rinse under water and the charred skin peels right off.

Also peeled a few and chopped into 1 Cup batches and froze for quick use in dishes.

Vacpack and freeze. Takes me an exact year to go through on full box. Last one was 28lbs and after roasting and skinning my yield was roughly 10lbs. Packed them according to size; XL,L,M.

zOvff6kh.jpg

j3QQZLLh.jpg

0dj9OOBh.jpg

Hatch envy

The local Raley's had them on sale for .98/lb. Had to fight off a few grandmas to gather together the last 14lbs. they had, mix of 60/40 hot to mild. Initial tastes lead me to believe the hot ones will be mildly volcanic!

The backyard will never smell better during the roast off tomorrow, the new table's gonna get a workout!:heh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 70
In glad this post came about...I just go5 my first batch of green Chile's and now inknow what to do with them.

We put up 20lbs last nite in quart bags not before making a toasty pork Chile Verde and a tasty salsa of hatch chili's, garlic, onions, cilantro, roasted New Mexico chilis.

I pack mine in Quart jars with salt water. They just hangout on the fridge door till needed.

Back