smithfield ribs from walmart

Hi Was not happy with my prior experience with enhanced ribs.
Don't want to smoke for 4-5 hrs and come away with hammy tasting ribs..
But willing to give these a chance.
DanB

Most of the Hormal or Tyson ribs that I've ever encountered was 12-15% enhanced, these are only 8%. I've cooked a lot of ribs and have done pretty decent in ribs, I can guarantee you that if I could taste the difference, I'd not even consider cooking them....by the way, if you don't see any decent in the meat counter ask the meat man if they have some in the back, usually they have a case or two in the freezer.

Ribs

Most of the Hormal or Tyson ribs that I've ever encountered was 12-15% enhanced, these are only 8%. I've cooked a lot of ribs and have done pretty decent in ribs, I can guarantee you that if I could taste the difference, I'd not even consider cooking them....by the way, if you don't see any decent in the meat counter ask the meat man if they have some in the back, usually they have a case or two in the freezer.

Hi I also wanted to try the Extra Tender St Louis or the full spares, but the meat to fat ratio was not too my liking.
Going to give the BB's a try real soon.
DanB

I hear you, but some of the guys on this forum are doing good with them in comps.Worth a try one time.
DanB
It is your time. Comp ribs, with the additions that are typically added, are a totally different animal from what I want to eat. To me, the base you build on leads to the final results.

I think it's one big inside joke. After going to Walmart to see for myself, I was like ha ha ha, you bastards got me.

It is your time. Comp ribs, with the additions that are typically added, are a totally different animal from what I want to eat. To me, the base you build on leads to the final results.

How are you placing without the ET ribs? I've always bought natural and did not like enhanced ribs until I tried these.

Just wondering how you are doing without them?

Man I like fat in my ribs.....

Dad maybe they aren't for you....you could try them and then you would know...

Okay, count me in. First time cooking the ET ribs this weekend, 2nd out of 42.
What's crazy is I've had good luck with the ET ribs the first 3 contests of the year, but this weekend they landed me a 31st place with a 155! I had not tasted ay hammyness (new word) but this weekend the taste was definitely off. I might start freezing them after purchase to stop any "curing" that's taking place and thaw the day before. I've got some primes on order to try out.

The taste being off isnt necessarily because of 'hamminess' the solution is so weak it really isnt a cure in any way shape or form. There are so many factors that come into a cook. Last year James had two comps where the chicken just didnt taste right. We started fiddling with the recipe. No change. I got a little brainstorm and decided to burn out the drum because we were cooking pork, ribs and chicken on it. Next batch of chicken back to the old. Im not saying at all that it is your cooker but it could be the weather, the rubs, the charcoal....unless the off you are tasting is hammy I would not necessarily blame the injection

Man I like fat in my ribs.....

Dad maybe they aren't for you....you could try them and then you would know...

Hi I like some fat on my ribs, but these soo bad I had to pass on them, even though the price was right. I will go back again to check to see any better ones were put out.
Thanks DanB

Don't be afraid of fat pockets. Most can be somewhat dug out and you won't notice much after they have been cooked right!

Ribs

Hi All
Went to another Walmart, and picked up rack of St Louis and Spares Extra Tenders..Now I have 5 racks to chose from, only going to smoke 3.
1.Lion Backs/BB's
2.St Louis
3.Full Spares
Compare them all and see "IF" any rock my boat.
DanB

its important to rock your boat...what comp are you cooking them in?

Back