I'm on Vacation...Franklin Clone build...

Clay-b-que, very nice series. I've been admiring this thread the whole way through. Good job. I'm halfway through Franklin's book and it's opening my eyes to even better Que.

Thanks! It's a great book but I don't know if anyone will ever be able to replicate what he does. He is truly a meat whisperer and master of what he does. He's a nice guy too and very down to earth.

Thanks! It's a great book but I don't know if anyone will ever be able to replicate what he does. He is truly a meat whisperer and master of what he does. He's a nice guy too and very down to earth.

I may build one down the road. Am going to incorporate some of his design into a reverse flow..... Nice work.... Now onto the cooking part of it...

I may build one down the road. Am going to incorporate some of his design into a reverse flow..... Nice work.... Now onto the cooking part of it...

Cool! Build that UDS in your sig and then get to work on the Franklin RF...

What size stack did you end up with?

Great looking build. I was curious to see what you cut the stack down too and to see what difference it made. I have a small Yoeder junk offset myself and one thing worked well for me getting even temperature across the pit adding tuner plates. I have gotten the cooker within 15 degrees, and my gauges are 24 inches apart. Before tuner plates the temp difference was as much as 60 degrees. Something you might try since you can move them around.

This really makes me wish I had taken some welding classes in high school......absolutely beeeeutiful from this vantage point!!

Great build brother..keep on smokin you will get her dialed in. Like many have have said I wish I had the skills and tools to make something of my own.:thumb:

Excellent job on the build and the thread was a great read. Makes me want to get to building one for myself.

Awesome work on that cooker! I wouldn't stress the beef ribs too much those are those thin back ribs with no meat on em. Get a short rib plate from the back or a butcher next time.

Thanks! Got 2 butts on now and a rack of ribs and chicken thighs and drumsticks going on later. It is incredible to have this much room compared to my drum! Here is a shot from today. My buddy built the shelf out of beetle kill pine which is prevalent here. Also cut a foot off the stack just to see what the impact would be...doesn't seem to have made that much of a difference. Also, added the 2 tel trus and a port to get my wires in. And added some gasket material to the door just to snug it up. Works well but still trying to train the operator about fire management!
e4c2b902577f94111e292cc81222e124.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So how tall is your stack over the top of your cook chamber now?

I'm not up on Stack height and effects. What's the complaint about it being high like that??

I may have missed it in this thread.

So how tall is your stack over the top of your cook chamber now?

32"
It used to be 42". When it was 42" I couldn't reach the top. I wanted to be able to put my hand above the pipe to feel draw when there is cool blue. Also, it was close to hitting the roof of where I store it and I wanted to see if it drew different which it didn't. I could weld some tabs on the foot I took off and slip it back on but I don't think it would make much difference.

Finished product on the 2nd cook on Franklinstein!!!

37abd03ab3bb81ffb57502153d766356.jpg

cebb615e793d88ad500bd6f2f5b282e9.jpg

50dc1f088395f0379b8e8f81c239f8a1.jpg

01f46a73cbd601dca5fbb8d1cc1f68bb.jpg

bc1653c42bbaf46e7e89a2bfe5ab5abb.jpg

I guess I will keep it!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back