Sell me on a pellet smoker

bosco0633

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I started out with a gas bbq and purchased a WSM 22.5 and Weber Kettle 22". I only used the WSM 3 times and didn't like the water pan and mess so I sold it. I cooked on the kettle for over a year and loved it but upgraded to a Kamado Joe Big Joe. I have since owned 6 kamado Joes of various sizes and recently upgraded to the Komodo Kamado.

I own a 23" and 32" Komodo Kamado and they are absolutely spectacular. I have been bit by the brethren over the past few months and have started to look at offsets and pellet grills. I am more inclined to go by way of a pellet grill.

I will be honest, I don't think that I need it. I am not sure that there is any added value owning a pellet grill over my current high end komodo kamado set up. In fact, I have more reasons to talk myself out of one rather than buying it. However, this is a hobby and I am drawn into the buying frenzy and really can't seem to decide whether or not I should buy a pellet grill.

I will not be investing in a yoder, although very nice, I am looking for a cheaper unit that will be used once and a while. I am leaning towards the traeger pro 22. I have read all the reviews and understand peoples concerns on the forum with respect to traeger.

After all said and done I need to determine whether or not a pellet grill will offer any added value to my cooking needs.

My thought process is:

- Pellet grill fully automated set it and forget it..... with my Kamado set up I have a cyberQ wifi and really can do the same thing
- smoke profile. I keep wondering if the pellet will smoke better than wood chunks on my kamado. I have read stories that pellets are mostly binder so you are not getting a true representation of smoke
- I can smoke better food with a pellet grill. The Komodo Kamado produces some amazing smoked food and the moisture content is like no other. Will a pellet grill really offer me better cooked quality food??
- The cool factor although this seems to be driving the train for me at the moment, spending over 1000.00 CAD seems ridiculous if the pellet grill can't top what I already have.

I think I have talked myself out of it but please tell me what I am missing.

I'm a weber, BGE and LSG cabnet guy so I love/value the romance of working your fire and food till the end result... Yet everytime I use my dads treager im intrigued at the ease and quality of Q it puts out.

I love my Traeger for the ease of use , I also enjoy my other cookers as well

Pellet grills are great in my opinion. I cook on them all the time but several things you have to know before you jump in:

You'll probably need a smoke tube or Amazn tray to add more smoke to your food because the pellets used for food, unless used at low temps, will not impart a lot of smoke flavor.

You really want to check the auger system to make sure it does not dump directly into the fire pot or your "set and forget" might end up with a fire in the auger tube on an un-watched smoke....Which means you want to make sure you get a smoker with a hopper evacuation hatch to dump your pellets out from the bottom so you don't have to scoop them whether its because of a flame back or just to change the flavor profile.

Once you choose your smoker and get it dialed in - its really a great way to cook. I usually do several pounds of jerky a week and cook butts/brisket for guys at work. Its too easy to press a button and get great smoked food not to use it every week, in the rain, snow, etc.

It all comes down to personal choice and there are so many grills out there for under $1000. You could always get a small 24" grill under $600 and try it. You can always recoup some money on Craig's List if you don't like it.

Stick with what you know. I have a Traeger 075. I like the thing, and since switching to bbqer's delight pellets, I can get good smokey flavor off of it. My biggest complaint is the heat source is too close to the food. It tends to over cook the bottom of what ever you're cooking on long cooks (briskets), and I've had some issues with food not being as moist as I like. Alot of that can be solved with foil or possibly flipping food throughout the cook, but if you already enjoy the food and the functionality of your cooker, why change?

Bosco,
There are a lot of great pellet grills out there,
And being a previous owner of a Traeger Texas,
I like the ease of, set it and forget it.
But,
In my humble opinion,
Nothing beats the flavor of hard wood for smoking.
Like you,
It's a hobby for me, with benefits :grin:
So last year, I upgraded to a high end insulated smoker, that uses hard wood for the smoke and lump for the heat, and glad I did.
I doubt you'd get the same flavor on a pellet smoker as your Komodo.
Good luck on your decision

They are great for convenience cooking for sure, I used to rep for Traeger in my free time, but honestly, prefer the GMG all day long, WAY better smoke consistency. MAK is a top shelf purchase as are some of the Yoders, but bang for your buck, get the small GMG Davy Crockett. It's portable, runs off a car battery if tailgating, makes an excellent chicken or bump cooker for comps and comes with WiFi built in.

I have had a Traeger for 10 years. I now have an offset and a drum as well. The thing about the Traeger is how it can consistently turn out very tender meat. Butts and chuckies always pull apart effortlessly. I definitely think the offset makes a much better tasting product but the ease of use and consistent quality keep me from selling the Traeger.

I have had a Klose, an Egg, and a Traeger.
I am too lazy for a stick burner so sold the Klose even though it was a beautiful piece of equipment.
Love the Egg and the versatility of it - low and slow to hight heat cooke.
Big Al brought home the Traeger. It is stupid easy to use and puts off a good product. Still prefer the flavor os what comes off the Egg, but for eace of use the Traeger can't be beat.

I have a Rec Tec RT-680 and I love it. Depending on temperature and pellets, a smoke tube is a nice accessory. I started doing comps with it but quickly realized it was too small. Excellent quality and awesome customer service. I like the design and its versatile.

The fact that you probably need a smoke tube for a pellet cooker is the deal breaker for me. At $1,000+USD you are getting into high end offset range.

I have read stories that pellets are mostly binder so you are not getting a true representation of smoke

With the exception of some Traeger pellets. Every other brand of pellet that I know of is pure hardwood, no binders. The heat that is generated when the pellets are being formed is what binds them together.

Most pellets are usually a base wood mixed with whatever the flavor wood is, unless they state that they are 100% flavor wood. Example, Lumberjack Pecan pellets are 60% oak & 40% pecan. Lumberjack 100% Pecan is exactly that, 100% Pecan.

I like my Rec Tec pellet cooker very much...I think pellet pushers are great for convenience and consistency. Push a button, and they are truly set and forget...and can turn out consistently good que every time.

They do produce a lighter, more subtle smoke profile in food than charcoal and stick burning pits. Because of that, there are some who switch to pellet cookers who are never satisfied with the smoke flavor. As already mentioned, you can purchase a smoker tube or other smoke generating device to add more smoke to pellet cooked meat

You needn't worry about binders in your pellets as long as you don't try to burn heating pellets (for use in pellet stoves) through your cooker. Pellet brands such as Lumberjack, BBQr's Delight, and CookinPellets are manufactured strictly for pellet cookers, and are 100% hardwood with no fillers or binders.

It sounds as if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying one...if you are as satisfied with your kamado charcoal rigs as you say, pellet cooking might not be for you. Why spend the $$ on something you believe you won't like? If it ain't broke...

Don't know if that helps..but there's my 2 cents.

Red

I have a GMG Davy Crockett and I love it. The ease of use is hard to beat. I also think it turns out the best poultry I've ever made. I still prefer the flavor on my WSM or PBC for ribs, pork butt, and brisket, but the pellet smoker is great for times when I need BBQ in a hurry, without much hassle. I have two little ones, so it's nice!

Bosco,
You own 2 Komodo Kamados. You like top of the line stuff. I know you say you want a cheap unit but you will just upgrade anyways (remember when you had 3 red Kamado Joe's then sold them for 3 black ones). Look at Mak, Cookshack, Memphis, and Yoder.

If you really want a budget unit look at RecTec (best bang for the buck IMO), Green Mountain/pelletpro or Louisiana.

It sounds as if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying one...if you are as satisfied with your kamado charcoal rigs as you say, pellet cooking might not be for you. Why spend the $$ on something you believe you won't like? If it ain't broke...
Red

You are absolutely right. I really want one, but don't think I need it. That is why I was trying to find some compelling reasons to justify the purchase.

Thank you this helps me more than you could imagine!

Best reason not to get one is don't cook on one. Cause once you do you won't want to part with it��

I wasn't interested in a pellet grill

I had a gas grill, and went out so I started looking. I wanted to grill, I wanted a charcoal for the better flavor. However, my wife cannot use coal very well and I cannot always get home at a decent time to start grilling. I started looking at a pellet grill. I can grill on it while getting the extra flavor of the wood, I can smoke and cook slow also, and my wife can start the grill easy. So I decided to get one...I am not disappointed.

Back